Big Barbel on the pole

The Landlord

Site Supporter
This guy's getting a bit of stick on facebook!

tunna

well done Brent, gotta be chuffed with that, well ya definitely ain't getting no joy supporting that football team lol

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
This guy's getting a bit of stick on facebook!

it's the biggest on the pole that I've heard of, low doubles was best that I knew of previously.

what's he getting stick for ... fishing the pole for them or leaving his allocated peg to land it?

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
If he left his peg isn't that against standard match rules?
Yes, but most matchmen accept that there are circumstances when the rules have to be ignored, in this case in the interests of the fish. Would you expect me to be disqualified if I left my peg to help another angler in trouble? Of course not.

This sort of unusual circumstance happens all the time in matches - particularly anglers going round to unhook their gear from a snag away from their peg.

I once had a fish take the top two out of my pole. The pole re-appeared 80 yards away, so I walked round with a landing net, and landed the fish. I had to put it back, though...and it cost me the match. :cry: :cry:

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
it's the biggest on the pole that I've heard of, low doubles was best that I knew of previously.

what's he getting stick for ... fishing the pole for them or leaving his allocated peg to land it?
I’ve certainly no problem with his use of a pole .... he landed it in 15 mins according to the report so obviously wasn’t inadequate gear.
and in terms of strict interpretation of the rules, I don’t have a problem with someone, say, walking halfway down their peg on a river to free a snagged chub. that kind of thing Happens so infrequently that it all evens out over time.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Yes, but most matchmen accept that there are circumstances when the rules have to be ignored, in this case in the interests of the fish. Would you expect me to be disqualified if I left my peg to help another angler in trouble? Of course not.

This sort of unusual circumstance happens all the time in matches - particularly anglers going round to unhook their gear from a snag away from their peg.

I once had a fish take the top two out of my pole. The pole re-appeared 80 yards away, so I walked round with a landing net, and landed the fish. I had to put it back, though...and it cost me the match. :cry: :cry:
I'm not criticising the bloke, just wondering why he was getting so much flak on Facebook.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Fifteenish years ago the A.Times ran an article on Severn match anglers fishing the long pole for Barbel.
One chap had two doubles in the same match.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
carphauler, oh I see. Yes it's not obvious to me what the angler has done wrong.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
There’s a clip of Alan Scothorne with Peter Drennan purposely targeting barbel on you tube somewhere. Obviously Alan is using some beefed up gear. I think he gets about four or five out. As only Alan can, he makes it look easy.