Bicycle inner tubes and sliding reel fittings

Lucky Strike

After reading users posts about how this stops sliding reel bands from moving can somebody please give me the definitive instructions as to how to do it? Any pics would be appreciated. I’m using an old Daiwa connoisseur float rod. Thanks

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
From what I remember you cut two one inch sections of bicycle inner tube and slide them above and below the metal rings that hold your reel in place.
Once you put your reel on the rod and slide the rings over the foot of the reel, you then slide the inner tube up to the rings either side to stop the rings working lose.

DFL

Site Supporter
I use shrink wrap, gives a better and more comfy grip, does mean leaving the reel on though. 6A54F26F-9531-4060-8A75-7DD5A9786DFB.jpeg

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Isn't that the Fuji type reel fitting though, not the aluminium rings the OP was enquiring about?

trotter2

When I did it all those years ago ,you cut off the reel bands.Then you cut a 2 inch section off some narrow racing bike inner tube. Roll this up the cork handle you can put some fairy liguide on the cork to help it slide. Two section of inner tube on the cork and slip the reel foot under. It works ok but not as solid as a screw reel seat. The other way is leave the metal reel seat rings on the rod and use one rubber inner tube section tight up agains the bottom metal ring. The best way is get it fitted with a modern reel seat from a rod builder TBH.

DFL

Site Supporter
Isn't that the Fuji type reel fitting though, not the aluminium rings the OP was enquiring about?

You‘re right Dave it is. I first tried it on a very old rod with rings and found it so comfortable with my arthritic hands I now have it on a few modern rods including the one in the pic.