Better to give?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Anyone that knows me knows I am generous to a fault, if you need something and it is in my power to give it, I will do so. However, I get really grudging sometimes, especially at this time of year. We are very good friends with the missus's cousin and his family, unfortunately he is a 'bit careful' with his cash. We asked last year, what the kids would like for Christmas presents. They said a couple of particular pc games at around £100 each!!! This year we have made them a chocolate hamper between the whole family, still £120 but cheaper than the alternative. What makes it worse is that they will probably get us a plastic fridge magnet? I know you don't buy to receive but there should be some parity or am I just turning into a mog?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Stopped buying christmas and birthday presents for a lot of the family years ago,

as we got older and the progeny bred it got too much

we now only get a present for very close family members and then mainly just the younger ones

i buy for my mum, the wench, the dog, and the grandkids, though this year some of the grandkids now have thier own kids so ive told them they now get a smaller present as they have reached the age of dissapointment ;)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I never look to compare value of gifts given and received. Contrary to the perception I am actually quite generous when it comes to gifts. Though I did once convince my work colleagues, helped by a close friend I worked with, that I had bought The Boss two tea towels for Christmas (well she said she needed some!). She got the tea towels with a pair of gold earrings attached.

Though I don't have a cousin I doubt I would spend that much on presents for such a distant family member or their family.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I don't do Christmas. I will be for little Rosie my granddaughter next year onwards but she's only twenty months come this Christmas.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
When I got wed one of the bint`s uncles gave us a set of rather odd looking wine glasses.

Said uncle was quite well off, he was a landlord and owned several houses in the Greenwich and Woolwich area.

We saw these glasses in a local tat shop, 50p. I would be ashamed to be so mean.