Better than watching telly.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd put this on a separate thread than the 'Where you fished today' as it is a bit picture heavy,

After last Sunday's evening at No-Go-Bye farm, I thought I would give it another try this evening. This time the bait was the same - dog mixers, the hook a size 6 GSP Rapter, the main line 12lb but using a 7lb hooklength of three foot in length.
I tested several hooklengths out for strength before going and a 6.6lb snapped at 4.5lbs pulling strain, a 10lb snapped at 8lb and the seven managed a comfortable 7lb plus. So I opted for this with the drag set a little less than I would normally use.

The result - 7 Carp of 6lb, 6lb, 7lb, 9lb, 7lb, 8lb and last but not least a 6lb'er all on the surface, all on freelined dog mixer, all within 4hours

Here's a photo of the swim plus the fish as above icon_smile_big.gif nogo.jpg nogo1.jpg nogo3.jpg nogo4.jpg nogo5.jpg nogo6.jpg nogo7.jpg

A few of the fish had cuts/grazes on them which looks like damage from spawning, so hopefully they will heal okay,

Dave

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
hey Dave , im off there in the 6 weeks i think im off in 2 weeks ive heard its good cos your always safe and i hear the bottom pond ( i think im rite is the best)
did u freeline the dog biccis.
and was it packed??????

more info Dave plzz!!!!!!

Regards Gf

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Gf,

It was the bottom pond and they were freelined, two on the hook and 10-12 for feeders. Make sure you use strong gear though as a lot of the carp haven't been caught before and go like steam trains. When you do get them near in they try to dive into the reeds and lillies near the bank.
There were several people there as last week but you should be able to find a swim free, just throw in the freebies and watch for the carp rising before casting in. Once they come to the surface, cast among them and wait.

Have fun,

Dave

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
i may go Friday... i think....

i got my tackle on thursday 2 and 1/2 t/c

what main line was you on????????/

i got 15 on my reel

Regards Gf

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
chat not wrking for me how thick was ure hooklength and is it barbless only???????

Regards Gf

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sorry Gf, I had to go to bed last night as up at 5.00am this morning.
I'll send you an email with a few tips before Friday icon_smile.gif

Dave

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Gary,

If you go to the farm, go on the old lake at the bottom of the lane. Eight hours or so before you go get a couple of pints of Dog Mixers like Pedigree Chum Mixers or Tesco's own. A full 1.5kg bag will cost you about 1.60 which will last you a long time or nick some from a neighbour if they have a dog icon_smile_big.gif. Put the mixers in a large plastic back and fill with cold water and then immediately drain them off again.
Tie the bag so that the mixers are just damp and allow to sit until soft.

The rig I used was 3 foot of 7lb line tied to number 6 hook (barbless), this was then tied to my main line using a double blood knot.

No weight or float is needed but it might help if you take a pair of sunglasses to take the glare off the water.

Right the method - when you get there throw a dozen mixers into the side, a dozen into the middle and a dozen over to the island.
When you have done this put two mixers on your hook so they cover the shank but leave the point exposed as they will swell up, and wait.

When you see a fish rise, dunk your hook into the water and then cast out to the fish and wait. Watch your bait and the line nearby.
If you get a fish rising to the bait don't strike untill you see your line moving as many a time the fish will rise up but miss the bait.
Once your line starts to move lift your rod until contact is made, you shouldn't need to strike. Make sure your drag is set loosly on your reel though as otherwise you may well snap off.

When landed repeat the procedure again feed - wait - cast - wait - take(all being well)

One tip though, keep low as the carp on the surface will spot you first and move on.

Have fun and if you need a few 7lb leaders for Friday let me know where to send them and I'll pop some in the post for you. Don't put your address on here though, use an email icon_smile.gif

Tighter Lines,

Dave

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
THATS GENOROSITY FOR YOU!!!! :)

tHANX dAVE
are the hooklengths Braid ?????????
If you dont mind sending them in the post its up to you...

im fishing bucketheads on Wednesday if i dont spend Cash tomoz..
or i mite catch bus and prebait...
then i may goto Tarn of Non Go by Farm on Sat or Sun,
Is it about a mile from Tarn....

thanx Again Dave !!!

Regards Gf

Status
Not open for further replies.