Best way to use Molasses

Silver fan 82

Hi Guys, not been on the forum in a few weeks, work and what not.
Firstly how great is it that we can get out on the bank again!?
Anyway my question to you all is when mixing molasses into groundbait, which is the best way to do it. Direct from the bottle into the dry groundbait then add the water? I was thinking mix the molasses with the water then add to the groundbait like I usually do with any liquids.
Any advice much appreciated.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Mix mine with hot water and then let it cool before adding to the groundbait.
This thins it out,makes it less prone to forming wasteful sticky lumps and gives a more even flavour distribution.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
On my pancakes, sticky toffee pudding, strait on top no mess, on groundbait I mix it with the water then add it to my mix of choice.

Silver fan 82

Mix mine with hot water and then let it cool before adding to the groundbait.
This thins it out,makes it less prone to forming wasteful sticky lumps and gives a more even flavour distribution.
Cheers Lee, very helpful. Never used it before so will give it a go. How much Molasses do you use?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
All depends how you want to use it really.
I mostly use it for making sticky method mixes for the carp fin feeder and will tailor it for how I want to fish on the day.
Length of cast,size of method ball,break down time etc.

If adding to particles such as pigeon conditioner;wheat,groats etc I will be making big batches in one go for the freezer so will use a lot.

I would suggest maybe start with 100 mm to a litre of warm water and see how it thins and if you can smell it. If you want a darker mix and stronger smell then just keeping adding and trialling.

Silver fan 82

I mostly use it for making sticky method mixes for the carp fin feeder and will tailor it for how I want to fish on the day.

If adding to particles such as pigeon conditioner;wheat,groats etc I will be making big batches in one go for the freezer so will use a lot.

I would suggest maybe start with 100 mm to a litre of warm water and see how it thins and if you can smell it. If you want a darker mix and stronger smell then just keeping adding and trialling.
Very helpful mate. Was thinking of adding it to a method mix. Ill start with your recommendation and go from there (y)

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
That's okay mate and it's all about experimenting.
Buy my molasses from equine or farm shops in 5l as that works out far cheaper.
Let us know how you get on ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter

That's how I use it, but if I need it a bit stronger just add 50ml at a time, Molasses can be very sweet. There's a chap who uses it on our club waters and never hardly catches, I think it's because he mixes it into the groundbait without water. It's probably either too sweet or too pungeant for the fishes liking.

Silver fan 82

That's okay mate and it's all about experimenting.
Buy my molasses from equine or farm shops in 5l as that works out far cheaper.
Let us know how you get on ?
Yeah I bought a bottle from a local pet food / equine store but not had the chance to use it yet. Going out tomorrow ( first time since before lockdown ). Will keep you posted.

Silver fan 82

That's how I use it, but if I need it a bit stronger just add 50ml at a time, Molasses can be very sweet. There's a chap who uses it on our club waters and never hardly catches, I think it's because he mixes it into the groundbait without water. It's probably either too sweet or too pungeant for the fishes liking.
This makes sense Pete. Think Ill err on the side of caution and add it gradually.

Silver fan 82

So I added some molasses to my method mix with quite good results.
I mixed it last night, adding about 50ml to start with but couldn't really smell it so added about the same amount again. I could smell the molasses but not overly strong so left it at that. Left overnight as I usually do.
Up at stupid o clock this morning for a 5 am start at the pond. First cast I decided to use a 6mm pellet on a size 16 with a bait band. A few missed bites so decided to change to double dead maggot in the band instead. The action wasn't exactly fast but the bites were there and after a while had 2 Tench both around the 3 lb mark.
Alot more missed bites, very quick bites so my guess would be Roach. Decided to change up to size 10 hook with a 8mm crab flavoured pellet on a Korum quickstop. The bites were more forthcoming but I couldnt hit them. Then all went quiet. I had noticed the wind had picked up and changed direction so I moved to a sheltered corner of the pond where the water was deeper. Still on the 8mm pellet the bites were much more productive resulting in Two more Tench of around 3 lb and another of 5lb. Then all went quiet for around 3 hours. Others werent catching either. Tried a small boilie, nothing. Back to the pellet, another Tench around 2lb. Another quiet period. I then changed to a small piece of fake corn hair rigged onto a size 16 pellet band. Never tried plastics before so wasnt confident. After another quiet spell I was just going to pack up when the tip swung round and a lovely Tench of 5 and a half pound was in the net.
So over all not a prolific day but very enjoyable, every fish was mint condition and was great to be back on the bank again. Did the molasses make a difference? Not sure but its definitly a confidence booster and Ill be using it next time. May try adding more to see if it makes a difference.
Thanks @Lee Richards and @ukzero1 for your tips
(y)

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Don't overdo it with the molasses, it can come to a point when it'll put the fish off because there'll be too much of it. I would use it how you did, but in different pegs and see if it's the same catch rate. As for using 8mm pellet on a size 10 hook, maybe a change in hook size down to a size 12 or even a 14 would have helped. Glad you caught though, it's nice to experiment. :upthumb:

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Few nice fish there Silver,well done ?
When I go through my bait experimenting phases I will feed two or more lines with different baits and sometimes it throws up a few surprises.
Once had two carp rods out about 12 feet apart,both on method mix. One rod on chick peas was busy all day, the other on kidney & harricot beans,maples had one fish.

rudd

Site Supporter
Don't overdo it with the molasses, it can come to a point when it'll put the fish off because there'll be too much of it. I would use it how you did, but in different pegs and see if it's the same catch rate. As for using 8mm pellet on a size 10 hook, maybe a change in hook size down to a size 12 or even a 14 would have helped. Glad you caught though, it's nice to experiment. :upthumb:
Oddly this goes against the grain advised by so called experts.
You cannot over do it with natural additives but you can with artificial such as betain?
Like others have used 5l bottles from animal feed producers, if stored in a cool dark place it lasts indefinitely.
My method 50/50 with warm water then add to groundbait.
Also used to soak particles such as wheat or neat as a glug with boliies or directly onto a method feeder or into a ground bait feeder.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
That's what I meant by not overdoing it. Mix 50/50 is fine, but used neat it tends to over-power everything else and the fish round here will just disappear.

Silver fan 82

Thanks for the tips Pete.

Silver fan 82

Few nice fish there Silver,well done ?
When I go through my bait experimenting phases I will feed two or more lines with different baits and sometimes it throws up a few surprises.
Once had two carp rods out about 12 feet apart,both on method mix. One rod on chick peas was busy all day, the other on kidney & harricot beans,maples had one fish.
Its odd how sometimes that can happen, but on a different day you might have caught on the beans?

Silver fan 82

Oddly this goes against the grain advised by so called experts.
You cannot over do it with natural additives but you can with artificial such as betain?
Like others have used 5l bottles from animal feed producers, if stored in a cool dark place it lasts indefinitely.
My method 50/50 with warm water then add to groundbait.
Also used to soak particles such as wheat or neat as a glug with boliies or directly onto a method feeder or into a ground bait feeder.
I was thinking of using it directly on a method feeder almost like a goo?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Six sessions on three different pools and still just one fish on kidney beans :ROFLMAO:

Might want to rethink that mate as it becomes mega sticky and if you are having a few fish it gets everywhere
My carp rods always seem to have a crust on the handles next day after a method session :)