best way to fish hard pellet

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris grant

whats the best - I usually like to keep things as simple as possible so fish hard pellet on the band that way I can change to corn, meat all on the same rig. But a lot of people I know are fishing lassoos which seem fiddly, time consuming and difficult or fishing banded pellet on a hair. All those involve using hook lengths hence the need to have a copius supply of various hook sizes and different hook length strengths tied up in advance. So all require a fair bit of preparation before matches - the question is apart from not looking as good as the other methods what advantages do they have over just banding the pellet straight to the hook

zenith20

You could just put a band straight onto the hook. Then band the pellet. Or, cut a pellet in haf then super glue it onto the book maybe? Not tried that one just came into my head then.[:I]

The Panther

The main difference is presentation,
lasooed/hair rigged pellets look more natural than a banded pellet, because they have no extra weight to them there buoyancy is identical to the loose feed (this is presuming that you are using the same pellet as loose feed)
Having a shiny hook clearly visible on the side of the bait could also spook fish although it is debatable!
Personally I always use a hair rather than a band, imho you hook more fish because when they suck the bait in it behave more naturally and looks identical to the loose feed. Tiny differences make a difference over the 5 hours, and it really doesnt require allot of preparation/ extra gear to hair rig a pellet as appose to banding it

supersuperleeds

I use a pellet band on a hair, I think it gives a better presentation and you retain the band after every fish

chris grant

panther, I tend to agree that little differnces can make a big difference over 5 hours - I am inclined to go to the extra effort of the lasoo - I just wanted to bounce ideas off people to get all the takes on it

chris grant

panther - just thinking about and not wishing to contradict you but couldnt the same apply to corn and meat - why dodnt we hair every bait - I suppose we bury it is the answer - ha ha I have just contradicted myself

The Panther

Yes I see your point, but the difference is with corn and meat you bury the hook inside the bait so it catching the light is not as much of an issue. When I'm fishing feeder or a small bomb I would always hair rig meat or corn, float fishing is a slightly different game but with a banded pellet I feel the hooking potential is reduced. When you hook a piece of corn the hook sits very neatly in a position that WILL hook fish, when you band your pellet the hook often twists to the side and reduces the chance of hooking up. All of this is of cpurse just my own ramblings lol

dave brittain 1

Chris I hair rig a band for all my fishing using a knotless knot. If on the float I fish it 1 in on the bottom with three No 10 droppers however on the pole I often use two No 10 droppers and a bunch of 3 No 8's.

With a hair rigged band you can stretch the band and pull it into meat, corn or a drilled pellet however for summer pellet fishing I simply band the pellet as it's quicker and more efficient than any other way I've tried.

With a band directly onto the hook you often either don't see the bite or miss quite a few as the fish feels the hook before it's got thre bait fully into its mouth. With a hair they can mouth the bait and as soon as they take it into their mouth it's to late.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Don't mess about with lots of different hook and line sizes. I tie most of my carp rigs now on 0.17 line and a Fox Carp Match 2 size 18 on a 10 inch hooklength (4 inch for The Method). I started using the Korum Quickstops this year and have to say they are the dog's. The only other hooklength I tie now is 0.17 to a 14 for paste. Having simplified my fishing in this way and by using just 1 main float pattern I have had a much more successful year than previously. I also have just two elastics in my carp poles, solid 20 set light in most with a Polemaster Red 18-20 Carp Bungee set tight in two margin tops for controlling lumps near snags.

With the Quicksops it is wasy to switch between corn, meat, expander and hard pellet.

I agree that you do need to take some time to prepare. I tie the Quickstops using a sliding knot then tie on the hook with the knotless. Corn, meat and expanders are easy but you do need to spend a while preparing the hard pellet. I drill all mine out with a 2mm drill (I use 8mm pellets mainly for this). This takes the Quickstop without splitting the pellet. In use it is quick to bait up and you can catch several fish on one pellet. I think you can get ready drilled pellets but I have the time to do my own.

The old addage is "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail". It is worth taking the time.

billy the blank

I had one experience at Woodlands in Thirsk that changed my hard pellet fishing for good. I used to always use a band on a hair for the very reasons stated before, speed and presentation. One match I was on a lot of fish feeding shallow. I was constantly getting what appeared to be small fish attacking the pellet causing the float to shoot under and me missing the bite, but the swirls were very carp like when they were spooked. Every 1 in 20 bites i would hook a carp, but it then dawned that the carp were actually taking the pellet and obviously feeling the band very quickly and rejecting the bait. I changed over to a lassoe and the rest of the match was easy. I actually went on and got a p.b. Coincidence maybe but I told my travelling partner about this and after suffering the same problems when fishing shallow he too changed and had an instant improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.