Best way to buy a pole

Atarrin

Hi all,
I am wondering how some other anglers actually source their chosen pole. I currently have a Map 101 and have been match fishing for 6 years. I’m now looking to get a Map 401 3G or maybe a 501 3G as my old 101 is now worn and old and I’d like one longer than my 13 meters. As I have quite a few tks top kits I want to stick with MAP. Problem is I watch all these YouTube vids and forums and I see anglers saying I got a good deal on this or the target price is that. When I look online at the 401 I just see Angling direct ( which was my local Fosters fishing tackle shop not so long back) or Bobco tackle etc and they are all pretty much the same full price with the same package. I look on eBay and Facebook pages at 2nd hand ones and they are all ‘ it’s perfect’ but I’ve had a wrap on the no.5 and there’s only 3 top kits’ etc.
so I’m just wondering, how do you all get good deals/enhanced packages. Are you walking into tackle shops and haggling or are there other routes online I should search?

Silver fan 82

Hi all,
I am wondering how some other anglers actually source their chosen pole. I currently have a Map 101 and have been match fishing for 6 years. I’m now looking to get a Map 401 3G or maybe a 501 3G as my old 101 is now worn and old and I’d like one longer than my 13 meters. As I have quite a few tks top kits I want to stick with MAP. Problem is I watch all these YouTube vids and forums and I see anglers saying I got a good deal on this or the target price is that. When I look online at the 401 I just see Angling direct ( which was my local Fosters fishing tackle shop not so long back) or Bobco tackle etc and they are all pretty much the same full price with the same package. I look on eBay and Facebook pages at 2nd hand ones and they are all ‘ it’s perfect’ but I’ve had a wrap on the no.5 and there’s only 3 top kits’ etc.
so I’m just wondering, how do you all get good deals/enhanced packages. Are you walking into tackle shops and haggling or are there other routes online I should search?
I would pop into your local tackle shop (when we can again) or give them a ring and see if they can do you a bit of a deal?
You could ask on here what people think of a product and you may get 100 different opinions.
Better still if you could have a waggle with one and actually get a feel for it in your hands before biting the bullet.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Hi all,
I look for ages waiting for deals , also i phone Bobco usually and ask for the best deal . Im not 100% but i think your top kits fit browning poles to . Map are good poles ,dont often see bad reports ,same with Browning. I do a lot of searching ,looking at reviews and asking friends or anglers on the bank and when i know what i want i phone and ask as said for best price.

alsur

Site Supporter
When I bought my last pole I went to the big one at Farnborough and tried poles there as there are no shops with a pole ally anywhere near me, having a waggle in a pole ally give you some idea but once elasticated and fished with they do not feel the same, if you can get to fish with poles you tried its helpfully but quite often that's not possible It wasn't for me. There were some deals at show but I wasn't ready to buy then. I was lucky in that I managed to get an exceptional deal on a original Map 501 when 2g come out. Failing that if you have a good relationship with your local tackle dealer it worth talking to them, I bought last pole from angling direct every other pole I've bought I've bought from local tackle shop and got good deals on current poles.

The only thing i would add is that I found that there was very little difference in poles in same price bracket from most manufacturers.

Whisker

Site Supporter
If you’ve got the full cash amount, I’d ask if they’d fit bushes/pullas and elasticate it for free.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I got my G20 from Fosters, it was around £1400,I walked in with cash, they knocked it down to £1200 plus free elastication, I didn't want the free elastics so they knocked that price off a couple of rollers I bought, great shop they were.