Best time to be alive

62tucker

Site Supporter
I think I was born around the best time to be brought into this world. 1962. Any time 10 years either way must been a good time to be born.
What got me thinking about this is I been going through some old letters from my dad. There’s a few letter from my grandad to my gran and my Dad when he was sent to war in 1942. On a boat that they didn’t know where it was going. Being sea sick for weeks on end. Seeing no land for 8 weeks. Then there’s a headed paper letter saying missing in action in March 1942 in Malaya. Then another letter from the War Office November 1943 to say he died in Action in October 1943 in Thailand. What my Gran and Dad must of gone through in all them months he was missing I can’t come to think of. A few paper cuttings about the treatment of the POWs over there. No food. ☹️
We don’t know how lucky we on.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Born in 1964 had fkall and gonna die with most of it if not less, and believe me I’ve enjoyed it ??

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Started out with nothing and you've still got most of it left.

Whatever I’ve done in my life is because I wanted to, I still enjoy my job and marriage and can still do what I want if there’s owt left at the end it’s only because I didn’t have the time to enjoy it ??

davylad

Site Supporter
1946 for me, and still as fit and as strong as a butchers dog. I think I've been lucky enough to have had a brilliant life, cracking childhood, great in my teens, and married to a good un for 53 years coming up soon, and great family. No wars that I've had to go to, always worked hard but had good jobs, very good health apart from a serious head injury when I was younger, what more could a man ask for?

Simon R

Site Supporter
Another from the excellent 1964 vintage :D

Still in full possession of all my faculties and (according to my good lady) far healthier than I should be - one day's sick from work since 1992 (and that was self-inflicted due to a Caffrey's promotion:p)
Did finally quit smoking three years ago when the price at our local fag house went up 20p a pack - far, far easier than I thought it would be - no patches, no inhalers, no gum. Could still murder a fag from time to time now - especially after a good meal. I should probably get some of them posh little cigars in the tin box and keep 'em for special occasions.

How old do you have to be before you can become a miserable old git or a grumpy old man?
Our lass keeps calling me the latter but I reckon I'm still too young.:p

Simon

Wise Owl

Account Locked
The miserable ones are so because they choose to be and ain’t happy unless they are trying to make everyone else unhappy.

The Runner

Site Supporter
How old do you have to be before you can become a miserable old git or a grumpy old man?

Simon
Any age at all will do if you're that way inclined.
Can think of a couple of people I know who have been miserable grumpy old gits since they were 30 (and probably longer)

Maverick

Site Supporter
The best time to be alive is tomorrow. As you get older every day is precious. I was born in 1954 and was lucky to be be there during the swinging 60's. Having 2 older sisters the record player and radio were always blasting out the fabulous songs that have still stood the test of time today.

Got to walk down Carnaby Street at the height of the swinging sixties, when I was 14 yrs old and came home with a Che Guevara T-Shirt. God I thought I was so cool.

Today as a Grandad to my beautiful 5 year old Amelia I want to live forever, as every day spent with her is the best day of my life. The day she was born I stopped being John and became Grandad and I wouldn't have it any other way :):):)

John Step

Site Supporter
Two years later than two previous posters. I am 1948 vintage. I reckon I had it about right. The war was over. Rationing had only a few years to run. No TV to nag folk via adverts to long for stuff they couldn't afford.
London smogs to enable you to get off school early often.
Plenty of jobs available when left school at 15...no expectancy to bother with university and the costs that involves.
Plenty of freedom growing up without anyone worrying about "strangers" when out and about.
From memory a pint of bitter was about 1s.6d as a teenager. Less than 20p.
About 1s. (5p) to get in the local dance with a live group.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I was born in 1950. Had fifteen years of good quality seasonal grub and playing outside. Enjoyed the best "pop" music of the 1960s.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The best time to be alive is tomorrow. As you get older every day is precious. I was born in 1954 and was lucky to be be there during the swinging 60's. Having 2 older sisters the record player and radio were always blasting out the fabulous songs that have still stood the test of time today.

Got to walk down Carnaby Street at the height of the swinging sixties, when I was 14 yrs old and came home with a Che Guevara T-Shirt. God I thought I was so cool.

Today as a Grandad to my beautiful 5 year old Amelia I want to live forever, as every day spent with her is the best day of my life. The day she was born I stopped being John and became Grandad and I wouldn't have it any other way :):):)
Nice one Maverick. You've got the meaning of life sorted. ?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Any age at all will do if you're that way inclined.
Can think of a couple of people I know who have been miserable grumpy old gits since they were 30 (and probably longer)

Only a Couple :rolleyes::rolleyes: god your lucky, i know of more Dark Clouds who have no reason to be Anti Goodtime but are.

albi

1966.we won the world cup.Don't think it will happen in my life time again..My old man used to say when I peg it who ever is nearest too my ars e pocket can have the lot cos that's all that will be left... :beer-toast1:

Arch

Site Supporter
1966.we won the world cup.Don't think it will happen in my life time again..

What do you mean ?? It's gonna happen again on Saturday..........

1964 for me, but only just. Playing out till all hours when we were kids. Only 4 channels on the telly (if you had one) Proper records. A Raleigh Chopper. So on, so on.

I'd like to think that kids from that generation probably had it the best

nejohn

Site Supporter
1960 for me spent my childhood playing outside without a care in the world , could ride our bikes anywhere we wanted, play until it was dark, everyone walked to school and everyone in the village knew each other ... Including the local police Sargent....was a teenager in the 70's so had to put up with some bloody awful music until late 76 then things got much better, I was the right age to ride the wave that was the punk rock revolution, saw all the band's, sex pistols, clash, jam etc etc. Seen England win 3 world cups ( earliest memory is 66 world cup, but also seen the miners strike, the rise of terrorism, but hey so far it's been a blast