Best sub £1500 Pole

davepellet

I have the acolyte carp and at 13m it’s great, I do have the 14.5m section but never used it, not because I can’t handle it but because no longer fishing matches I’ve never needed it. At 13m it’s as rigid as any pole I’ve ever handled and very responsive. The finish is superb but not quite as nice as my previous pole (the Zircon) used to be, but then again... that was the brand flagship at the time

Zerkalo

They've got the Preston in my local tackle shop along with a Daiwa Conny G90. I doubt I will want to use whatever pole I buy at longer than 14.5m and often much shorter and it will only be for small Carp and F1 commercials as I won't really use it elsewhere.

RMNDIL

I would ignore the Drennan Acolyte Carp but would definitely consider the Acolyte Pro Carp. Totally different model. Much stiffer.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
The Maver mvr is a power pole, for £1,500 you could look at the oculus 999xs, still strong better pole. Discontinued poles can offer value, I picked up the Maver Signature Pro 800, full package brand new for £1400 November 2018.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
The Maver mvr is a power pole, for £1,500 you could look at the oculus 999xs, still strong better pole. Discontinued poles can offer value, I picked up the Maver Signature Pro 800, full package brand new for £1400 November 2018.
And the signature pro 800 is a really awesome pole 👍👍👍

Ben Field

I have the acolyte carp and at 13m it’s great, I do have the 14.5m section but never used it, not because I can’t handle it but because no longer fishing matches I’ve never needed it. At 13m it’s as rigid as any pole I’ve ever handled and very responsive. The finish is superb but not quite as nice as my previous pole (the Zircon) used to be, but then again... that was the brand flagship at the time

I have two of the Zircons, Dave. Exquisite poles. Some of the poles from that era actually show us how little progress we’ve REALLY made in the last 20 years. The Zircon is as slim as any long pole I’ve used, and weighs less than any of them. Stiffer than 99% too. Less strength perhaps but as a silverfish pole...... staggeringly good.

Stevo1s77

They've got the Preston in my local tackle shop along with a Daiwa Conny G90. I doubt I will want to use whatever pole I buy at longer than 14.5m and often much shorter and it will only be for small Carp and F1 commercials as I won't really use it elsewhere.
What tackle shop is that? Wouldn’t mind giving them a call

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
There is not a huge difference between any of the poles listed as possible candidates above but consider the package as a whole as in extra tops which can be expensive to start adding as you don't want to be spoiling a good pole by adding cheap extra tops which will be noticeable at any longer lengths especially.

bricky72

Site Supporter
Can i throw one more in the mix ,Browning z9_2 ,superb pole ,you will like that , brilliant square butt at 13m .. Im sure you can get a 13m package. Or a z 83 . Not sure on the price of the z9_2 but the z-83 will be around £1500 , oops thats 2 in the mix ,sorry 😁
I’ve a z9-2 had it since come out as upgrade from z8
and got to say them square butts are fantastic
pole is superb in my opinion I use it on rivers and commies ( only if big silly vermin about )

bricky72

Site Supporter
Guilty of that to lol ,only because my nearest decent tackle shop is Hull or Leeds and i would have to take a bed and bivy because id be there for days making my mind up . I have asked many times on here looked at youtube ,pole compare ,people on the bank using what I intend to buy . I ask Hatman his opinion at Bobco Leeds as he is honest and will give you an unbiased opinion . I usually do weeks of research first ,the only pole i went to waggle was a map matchtec 16m pole in hull ,i tried loads but ended up with the map as it was reduced from £1500 to £800 ish and had loads of extras ,i was there nearly all day lol. So many good poles out there upto 13m your spoilt for choice .
Yes I was same when brought my z8 went bobco and explained what I wanted it for and said this is my price range what would you recommend ( done own research so had idea what I wanted ) and had waggle with them and walked out with z8 and then upgraded to z9-2 as everything fits so loads top kits top 4/5s

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I’ve a z9-2 had it since come out as upgrade from z8
and got to say them square butts are fantastic
pole is superb in my opinion I use it on rivers and commies ( only if big silly vermin about )
Yes it is a very good pole and the square butts are brilliant ,unless people try them they wont realise just how much better they are . So much more comfy and easier in the wind . I would like some for my 980 if they didnt cost to much to make .

Whisker

Site Supporter
From the poles you’ve listed, some get more good reviews than others, so would be harder to ignore. I’d look at them all but would put them in this order (based on what I’ve read):

1/ Matrix MTX 3
2/ MAP TKS 501 3G
3/ Maver MVR Competition

Tricast Perception
Drennan Acolyte Carp

Tricast and Drennan both make quality poles but not seen anything about these.

Took me 18months to decide how much I’d be willing to spend and deciding “which pole?”

My thoughts went from MAP to Tricast, ZR5 to Tourney Pro and it was only when I had a waggle at Bobco, the picture became much clearer. Surprising how you can walk in with a pole in mind only to find you don’t like it... too bouncy... too heavy...

Bought the Whisker XLS shortly after it came out and not been disappointed. I am getting hazy thoughts of buying a new pole, but that’s all they are at this moment in time... hazy thoughts. And now I’ve got more knowledge and experience of poles than I had a few years ago, it won’t take me half as long to decide (another Daiwa would complement my existing pole but would look at MTX 3, a MAP and possibly a Maver).

bricky72

Site Supporter
Yes it is a very good pole and the square butts are brilliant ,unless people try them they wont realise just how much better they are . So much more comfy and easier in the wind . I would like some for my 980 if they didnt cost to much to make .
I’m sure pole doctor at derby did a square one for someone on Facebook

yes they are really good even got some for silverlite

piscatorial

Fishfinderuk

Hopefully not too controversial a thread, everyone will have their opinions.

Tricast Perception
MAP TKS 501 3G
Maver MVR Competition
Matrix MTX 3
Drennan Acolyte Carp

Those are a few I have been looking at, people might say go to a pole alley to make your mind up, and I will eventually but I'm a few months away from purchase, it's going to be a summer treat to myself. Just wondering what people reckon...
I've owned the perception, mtx3,maver mvr comp.perception is the best allrounder out of the ones I've owned.mtx3 nice but feels too soft,maver mvr good pole.the perception is a great choice for the money.

johnfranks

Site Supporter
I have had sensas 774, browning Z14 and Maver MVR. Have now got a Perception. Not as balanced as the 774 or as straight as the Z14, but feels better than the MVR and is strong. In fact I don't even carry a margin pole anymore. Had numerous carp over 15lbs on the Perception and not a groan.