Best sub £1500 Pole

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Hopefully not too controversial a thread, everyone will have their opinions.

Tricast Perception
MAP TKS 501 3G
Maver MVR Competition
Matrix MTX 3
Drennan Acolyte Carp

Those are a few I have been looking at, people might say go to a pole alley to make your mind up, and I will eventually but I'm a few months away from purchase, it's going to be a summer treat to myself. Just wondering what people reckon...

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Hopefully not too controversial a thread, everyone will have their opinions.

Tricast Perception
MAP TKS 501 3G
Maver MVR Competition
Matrix MTX 3
Drennan Acolyte Carp

Those are a few I have been looking at, people might say go to a pole alley to make your mind up, and I will eventually but I'm a few months away from purchase, it's going to be a summer treat to myself. Just wondering what people reckon...
A hard one to choose ,the Drennan carp has some great reviews and the perception . If pushed it would be between those for me ,not used any but im always looking at other reviews .

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Perception was my first choice but you'd need to get the pullers drilled and I don't think it's the lightest or stiffest out of them but I haven't read any horror stories of sections breaking for that one. So at the moment I am siding on the Maver but it's completely blind until I get to an alley.

robert d

Site Supporter
Perception was my first choice but you'd need to get the pullers drilled and I don't think it's the lightest or stiffest out of them but I haven't read any horror stories of sections breaking for that one. So at the moment I am siding on the Maver but it's completely blind until I get to an alley.
Thats the best idea ,have a waggle , see how they feel in the hand and the ballance and weight . I dont like spongy feeling sections so i go for strength in the sections even if it means a bit more weight and responsiveness and of course the package

robert d

Site Supporter
Thats the best idea ,have a waggle , see how they feel in the hand and the ballance and weight . I dont like spongy feeling sections so i go for strength in the sections even if it means a bit more weight and responsiveness and of course the package
Bobco would do your side pullers

robert d

Site Supporter
Can i throw one more in the mix ,Browning z9_2 ,superb pole ,you will like that , brilliant square butt at 13m .. Im sure you can get a 13m package. Or a z 83 . Not sure on the price of the z9_2 but the z-83 will be around £1500 , oops thats 2 in the mix ,sorry 😁

emmaemma

Site Supporter
If you are not used to handling a pole, it is very hard to judge which one would suit you even if you went to a pole alley. I suspect whoever runs through the poles with you will have a preference of one over the others and this would possibly sway your thinking. I suspect they will all be decent poles and it may come down to the pole package you want.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have 3 poles at the moment.

Milo Carp Crusader
Daiwa S Carp Mk111
Browning Access Berylium

:LOL: (y)

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I would say going on what I’ve heard, not what I know for a fact though...Best choice would be Matrix MTX3, then MAP 501, don’t know what the Maver is like ...The Drennan Carp is a beast to handle over 13m , although strong..Personally I wouldn’t even bother asking this question on here, I’d just get my money together and go and buy one, I only like to have my own thoughts in my head when I by a pole, rod etc, but I seem to be different from most on this forum 🤷‍♂️

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I would say going on what I’ve heard, not what I know for a fact though...Best choice would be Matrix MTX3, then MAP 501, don’t know what the Maver is like ...The Drennan Carp is a beast to handle over 13m , although strong..Personally I wouldn’t even bother asking this question on here, I’d just get my money together and go and buy one, I only like to have my own thoughts in my head when I by a pole, rod etc, but I seem to be different from most on this forum 🤷‍♂️
I agree with chef. Just go with an open mind and buy the one you like the feel of.

robert d

Site Supporter
Yes a good waggle in the tackle shop with them all ,take your time . Not heard any horror stories on any of the poles mentioned . Check all of them for imperfections and jobs a goodun .

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Yes a good waggle in the tackle shop with them all ,take your time . Not heard any horror stories on any of the poles mentioned . Check all of them for imperfections and jobs a goodun .
Before I could afford to buy new poles, I just brought what looked good 2nd hand off eBay, never tried them first, always had good buys , just using my own judgement 🤷‍♂️

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I would wait my friend. Places like Hull angling, Bobco, Angling direct have sales when the new models come out. If that is your budget you should get a top model discounted. I picked up a maver signature for 1k less than retail in the sale. Why? Because the signature pro had been released. At the mo Hull angling have a Daiwa Connection with 1k off from the 2k price tag

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think a lot will depend on availability and sales at the time I come to buy by the sounds of it. Some of the poles I have mentioned don't seem to be in stock at the moment. Still think it will be worth me holding a few myself at a shop before I buy as I don't think I will get a definitive answer buying blind.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I think a lot will depend on availability and sales at the time I come to buy by the sounds of it. Some of the poles I have mentioned don't seem to be in stock at the moment. Still think it will be worth me holding a few myself at a shop before I buy as I don't think I will get a definitive answer buying blind.
If you’re buying a brand new pole ,you’ve got to have a hold of it , I suppose...My thoughts on “So called Waggling” in a pole alley is it bears little resemblance to actually fishing, with an elasticated pole , at say 14.5-16m, with a bit of a breeze on, you can’t tell how it feels in the hands , shipping either ...Basically what I think is all poles will feel ok in a pole alley scenario

robert d

Site Supporter
Before I could afford to buy new poles, I just brought what looked good 2nd hand off eBay, never tried them first, always had good buys , just using my own judgement 🤷‍♂️
Guilty of that to lol ,only because my nearest decent tackle shop is Hull or Leeds and i would have to take a bed and bivy because id be there for days making my mind up . I have asked many times on here looked at youtube ,pole compare ,people on the bank using what I intend to buy . I ask Hatman his opinion at Bobco Leeds as he is honest and will give you an unbiased opinion . I usually do weeks of research first ,the only pole i went to waggle was a map matchtec 16m pole in hull ,i tried loads but ended up with the map as it was reduced from £1500 to £800 ish and had loads of extras ,i was there nearly all day lol. So many good poles out there upto 13m your spoilt for choice .

robert d

Site Supporter
Guilty of that to lol ,only because my nearest decent tackle shop is Hull or Leeds and i would have to take a bed and bivy because id be there for days making my mind up . I have asked many times on here looked at youtube ,pole compare ,people on the bank using what I intend to buy . I ask Hatman his opinion at Bobco Leeds as he is honest and will give you an unbiased opinion . I usually do weeks of research first ,the only pole i went to waggle was a map matchtec 16m pole in hull ,i tried loads but ended up with the map as it was reduced from £1500 to £800 ish and had loads of extras ,i was there nearly all day lol. So many good poles out there upto 13m your spoilt for choice .
There is a good tackle shop in Scarborough, he has all the esential equipment but doesnt carry much in the pole section

JLK

Personally I would try to find two top endish poles the same in good used second hand condition for less than that.
It also depends on what you are going to be using the pole for.
Not all poles are suitable for fishing on rivers with. Especially if you are using top 4/5/6 to hand as the sections are not really designed to take that kind of handling.
But if you really do want to choose from that list only I would add one more brand and choose in the following order.

Preston response xs carp
Drennan Acolyte Carp
Tricast Perception
MAP TKS 501 3G
Maver MVR Competition
Matrix MTX 3