Best stretch of canal near me

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
This is what I managed a couple of summers ago on the Staffs/Worcs. Mostly Perch, and mostly on an old 3m whip which was fun. Can't find the pic of what I had from the Stourbridge canal but I remember it being more Skimmers and Roach which is what I want.

View attachment 88144 View attachment 88145
What bait did you have those on ? ..... a Mepps spinner ? 🤣🤣. Before your time that Zerkalo. Go ask ya dad. 😁😁👍

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
What bait did you have those on ? ..... a Mepps spinner ? 🤣🤣. Before your time that Zerkalo. Go ask ya dad. 😁😁👍
I had two little Perch and almost a proper bream on a mepps down the canal just before the river season started. Flashy lures rarely fail 👍🏻

Joe C

Site Supporter
I live not too far from the Gloucester canal, some amazing Bream fishing, go to 10lb apparently, been meaning to give it a go but still haven’t!

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
My one session on the kennet and Avon canal was one of my best ever sessions full stop but every time bar one that I’ve fished the Oxford canal it’s been dire. Must be better further downstream though as surely some Thames fish get up it.
I think you will struggle to better the K&A canal . I used to fish it a lot a good few years ago and it is very good tight the way through it’s entire length.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've never had a canal proper Bream and only one Chub which I had recently, not for lack of trying as I've said before. Think it was just the dingy Birmingham canals we used to fish just didn't hold that many decent fish but a lot of Gudgeon and bonus Perch were common but you couldn't get a bag of them like you can on the canal near me now.

Always had a chopped worm or punch line down 'the track' (what we called the deep channel at the middle of the canal) and hoped for a bonus fish (Bream) or two but they rarely showed in matches. Probably are good stretches of the Staffs/Worcs near me but takes an angler to make it look easy.

A favourite Birmingham stretch of Canal for Gudgeon for me was an industrial stretch round the back of a Hardy Spicer factory on the Tyburn Road. I remember going from that to practising for nationals on a Northern Canal that you couldn't reach the far bank with your pole and actually held a few decent fish.

But despite them being 'difficult' Canals and Gudgeon always made for fun club matches for me.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I've never had a canal proper Bream and only one Chub which I had recently, not for lack of trying as I've said before. Think it was just the dingy Birmingham canals we used to fish just didn't hold that many decent fish but a lot of Gudgeon and bonus Perch were common but you couldn't get a bag of them like you can on the canal near me now.

Always had a chopped worm or punch line down 'the track' (what we called the deep channel at the middle of the canal) and hoped for a bonus fish (Bream) or two but they rarely showed in matches. Probably are good stretches of the Staffs/Worcs near me but takes an angler to make it look easy.

A favourite Birmingham stretch of Canal for Gudgeon for me was an industrial stretch round the back of a Hardy Spicer factory on the Tyburn Road. I remember going from that to practising for nationals on a Northern Canal that you couldn't reach the far bank with your pole and actually held a few decent fish.

But despite them being 'difficult' Canals and Gudgeon always made for fun club matches for me.
The canal here is weird you can walk a stretch one day and see no fish or just the odd fish then walk the same stretch another day and see vast shoals of roach and pockets of bream. Guess there's just a lot less fish than in the rivers so they are more bunched up rather than widely distributed.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The canal here is weird you can walk a stretch one day and see no fish or just the odd fish then walk the same stretch another day and see vast shoals of roach and pockets of bream. Guess there's just a lot less fish than in the rivers so they are more bunched up rather than widely distributed.

Walking along the canal here you can see shoals of fish on a no fishing stretch, it's the only bit with a meadow instead of trees on the far bank so it gets a bit of sunlight and all the fish bask there. Another thing with fishing the stretches full of trees is that at certain times of year all you catch are sticks and leaves!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I think you will struggle to better the K&A canal . I used to fish it a lot a good few years ago and it is very good tight the way through it’s entire length.
Yeah couldn't believe it I just rocked up with very simple tactics for a quick little over 3 hour session and had probably around 8lb of roach and skimmers plus 2 or 3 big perch that took it comfortably over 10lb. Would take 4-5 sessions for me to do such a weight on the Oxford canal save for the town and city stretches.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Walking along the canal here you can see shoals of fish on a no fishing stretch,
Why are bits of water that you can't fish always fill of fish!? Deserves a thread of its own that swear wherever I can't fish always has tons of fish haha

Dslayer

dslayer
Surely you could access Stourbridge canal from Staffs Worc at Stewponey?
Heard of people doing so.....

Zerkalo, I might be missing something here, but looking at the map, it seems that you have to drive down a lane that runs alongside the canal. This looks like the entrance to the fishery. There appears to be a towpath, in use by cyclists in one of the pictures, and several places that you could park. so there must be some public access. With all this in mind, how could you get 'locked in'? It looks like the gate is only meant to keep people out of bit with the lakes.

It does look an interesting place though, especially the wider parts as it heads towards the town.

John.
You

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Our club has been adding canal stretches to the club book, all year. Mainly via affiliations with Lymm AC & a couple of other clubs. We now have some good lengths of the Shropshire Union to fish near Chester & out into Cheshire. Haven't done any winter canal fishing for many years but I intend to, as soon as it's allowed.
I'll have to adapt some of my topkits & take out the beefy elastic!
The Shady Oak stretch of the Shroppie is good, go over the bridge to access the canal, turn left so pub is opposite you and walk away from the bridge, there is a sort of turning basin there, only about 150 yards from bridge, that is a good spot, Another one is turn right over the bridge, walk past all the moored up boats and fish just past them.
The cafe stretch at beeston is another,
If you have Grindley Brook, give that a try.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Cheers pal. I've fished Shady Oak, we had the canal boat moored there. I also fished Grindley Brook about 30 years ago on club outings. Haven't fished up as far as Beeston though. If matches are allowed, we've got a match at the Christleton end next month.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Surely you could access Stourbridge canal from Staffs Worc at Stewponey?
Heard of people doing so.....

Yeah there's a junction of the two canals just down from the Stewponey that I see people fishing quite a bit. Have tried just along from there but did not catch much. Reckon the best stretch is near Bells Mill but I could be wrong. Maybe worth a try where you say though I've had second thoughts about trying it as canal is clear due to lack of boat traffic.