Best stretch of canal near me

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Reading a few catch reports on here I see canal catches I could have only dreamed of back when I used to regularly fish canals, really impressive stuff.

It has me hankering to get back on a canal but the Staffs/Worcs near me can be difficult fishing, sometimes devoid of fish, at other times mainly full of Perch, which although fun to catch, is not quite the same for me as a bag of Skimmers or Roach which I want to have a go at on Bread after reading a few other posts on here.

I know of another stretch, on the adjoining Stourbridge canal, this runs next to a fishery and I believe the fishery might have stocked the canal at some point. I have only fished it once and caught a good few Skimmers and Roach amongst the Perch, which leads me to believe there's a good head of fish there.

To my frustration, the canal is only accessible through a gate from the commercial fishery which is only opened and closed at certain times. They only charge £2.50 a day or £10 a year to fish it, but hardly anyone ever fishes it, and the gate is sometimes closed by fishery staff without checking if anyone is fishing the canal, meaning you could get stuck there as almost happened to me the one time I fished there.

Luckily, with a bit of luck from the Covid situation, they're doing a bookings only system on the fishery, which means I should be able to phone them up and arrange for the gate to remain open for me to fish there.

Don't know what I'm waiting for really. I should just call them and see if they'll do that for me. Just thought I'd mention it.

I've never heard of another situation regarding access that can be so frustrating, but happy to hear any other stories of getting or almost getting locked in a fishery/towpath!

IanG1

Site Supporter
That looks a cracking fishery mate, what you messing about at, whizz up some bread and get yourself on the bank.
I'm hankering to get back on the cut after my trip this week. Some lads were piking and had a stripey over 2lb so next time I'm feeding a choppy line with a heavier rig see if I can get one.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Our club has been adding canal stretches to the club book, all year. Mainly via affiliations with Lymm AC & a couple of other clubs. We now have some good lengths of the Shropshire Union to fish near Chester & out into Cheshire. Haven't done any winter canal fishing for many years but I intend to, as soon as it's allowed.
I'll have to adapt some of my topkits & take out the beefy elastic!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That looks a cracking fishery mate, what you messing about at, whizz up some bread and get yourself on the bank.
I'm hankering to get back on the cut after my trip this week. Some lads were piking and had a stripey over 2lb so next time I'm feeding a choppy line with a heavier rig see if I can get one.

It was your trip that inspired me! One of the best canal catches I've seen. (y) Back in the day we would have loved to have had a day like that and I think this should be a good stretch to at least try. It's one of my favourite fisheries and being 10 minutes down the road from me helps.

I should get the mobile number of the owner and his dad to make sure I don't get locked in. Probably will over the next few days, work and weather permitting, just haven't made up a pole rig since last year so better get cracking on that too.

Our club has been adding canal stretches to the club book, all year. Mainly via affiliations with Lymm AC & a couple of other clubs. We now have some good lengths of the Shropshire Union to fish near Chester & out into Cheshire. Haven't done any winter canal fishing for many years but I intend to, as soon as it's allowed.
I'll have to adapt some of my topkits & take out the beefy elastic!

I have a 3m whip, a 3 elastic, and a 6 which will do me for just mucking about.

IanG1

Site Supporter
Here's another one to inspire you from a few years back on a different local canal.

Not sure I've ever been an inspiration before in my 52 years

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Here's another one to inspire you from a few years back on a different local canal.

Good to see you getting a bit of appreciation on here for your reports as they're definitely inspiring and the best canal anglers make it sound easy!

Back in the day winning weights of our canal matches would rarely be over 3lb.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This is what I managed a couple of summers ago on the Staffs/Worcs. Mostly Perch, and mostly on an old 3m whip which was fun. Can't find the pic of what I had from the Stourbridge canal but I remember it being more Skimmers and Roach which is what I want.

canal1.JPG canal2.jpg

PeteC

Had a dabble on the Trent and mersey yesterday....normally quite productive, but the second lockdown has meant an enforced lack of boat traffic on the canal which has caused all of the colour to drop out of it.....now clearer than bath water and you can see the bottom in 5' of water. Needless to say the fish were all in hiding with only a few of the smaller perch active......sincerely hope that the fish are still there when boat traffic starts again and have not been polished off by predators ...!

IanG1

Site Supporter
Had a dabble on the Trent and mersey yesterday....normally quite productive, but the second lockdown has meant an enforced lack of boat traffic on the canal which has caused all of the colour to drop out of it.....now clearer than bath water and you can see the bottom in 5' of water. Needless to say the fish were all in hiding with only a few of the smaller perch active......sincerely hope that the fish are still there when boat traffic starts again and have not been polished off by predators ...!
I think we have been chatting on facebook canals groups Pete?
Hopefully we get some colour back as I'm thinking I might fish it more regularly over the coming months.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That's a good point that I might find the canal to be gin clear and plans scuppered!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve said it on here before that canal fishing to me at least is much harder than typical river and Stillwater venues so it always impresses me when people catch well on them on here. Even the best match anglers in my club rarely catch more than a third of what they get on the river when they fish the canal.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Used to love a bit of canal fishing - not sure what’s available around where I live now.

PeteC

I think we have been chatting on facebook canals groups Pete?
Hopefully we get some colour back as I'm thinking I might fish it more regularly over the coming months.
Don't think it was me Ian...what Facebook pages are you on..?

To be quite honest it does surprise me what fish are in our canal networks... I'm normally a river angler but must admit that I'm now quite enjoying fishing the canal...completely different approach and mind set needed though.......as I said though I do hope the clarity hasn't put the fish in jeopardy of being eaten...!

JayD

Zerkalo, I might be missing something here, but looking at the map, it seems that you have to drive down a lane that runs alongside the canal. This looks like the entrance to the fishery. There appears to be a towpath, in use by cyclists in one of the pictures, and several places that you could park. so there must be some public access. With all this in mind, how could you get 'locked in'? It looks like the gate is only meant to keep people out of bit with the lakes.

It does look an interesting place though, especially the wider parts as it heads towards the town.

John.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
My one session on the kennet and Avon canal was one of my best ever sessions full stop but every time bar one that I’ve fished the Oxford canal it’s been dire. Must be better further downstream though as surely some Thames fish get up it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Zerkalo, I might be missing something here, but looking at the map, it seems that you have to drive down a lane that runs alongside the canal. This looks like the entrance to the fishery. There appears to be a towpath, in use by cyclists in one of the pictures, and several places that you could park. so there must be some public access. With all this in mind, how could you get 'locked in'? It looks like the gate is only meant to keep people out of bit with the lakes.

It does look an interesting place though, especially the wider parts as it heads towards the town.

John.

Massive fence up around the fishery! I think to stop the otters and protect the fishery. The gate is part of the fence near the car park. Not sure about getting off the towpath onto the lane but the way I remember it you've got about a 2 mile walk up to an area called the Stewponey to get off the canal if locked on. Maybe I'm being paranoid but think that's the case.

It will be easily remedied as the owners are sound but usually in summer they shut the gate when the cafe closes so no evening fishing on the canal and in winter, the cafe isn't even open, so I'll just have to arrange something with the owners.

IanG1

Site Supporter
Don't think it was me Ian...what Facebook pages are you on..?

To be quite honest it does surprise me what fish are in our canal networks... I'm normally a river angler but must admit that I'm now quite enjoying fishing the canal...completely different approach and mind set needed though.......as I said though I do hope the clarity hasn't put the fish in jeopardy of being eaten...!

My mistake, just looked and it was another Pete who had been out over the last few days coincidently. I follow the Canal fishing and canal fishing UK pages
What stretch you been out on yesterday mate?

PeteC

No probs Ian...might have a look on Facebook now. I was fishing between Armitage and Rugely...normally good for roach and some cracking big perch......had a couple of visits tail end of last year to Rugely and couldn't go wrong, had 9lb of roach one trip then 11lb the next......went back a week later and the shoal had moved and left me scratching for bites....so frustrating, but shows what good sport you can have

IanG1

Site Supporter
I'm as the Shardlow end, bit more colour there on Wednesday as some boats being shunted about.

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Simply the Bread
Site Supporter

The last time I fished Notts County I was stoned by the EU. Bailiff came a little later and said your still here? 😅 20lb of hemp fish in that chub peg. Missed thousands of bites feeding little and often until bailiff said dump loads in and fish it out? 😊