Best sessions of the summer?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Now that it seems a few people aren't really looking forward to winter, lets look back to summer, and recollect on what were your best sessions?

For me...

- Just before the rivers opened, I went back to Chard Reservoir on holiday for the second time. It wasn't quite as productive as the first time round where I caught 90 Bream across 3 days, but I had I think 50 or 60 Bream over 3 days. I look forward to going back next year as my local Bream lake, Patshull Park, no Bream whatsoever have been coming out so I just haven't fished it.

- Then just when the rivers opened I had 20 Chub at the very start of the season from my local weir, the most I've caught in terms of numbers of Chub from there, only marred slightly by the fact some were the same fish coming out twice and they were still in straggly condition. The weir did not fish well since then as the Chub moved on and only a few very small fish moved in, and I'm hoping that a few Barbel will move in for Autumn.

- I plucked up the courage to go Tench fishing again, after catching 13 on my first session there, I was worried I wouldn't catch. I think I had 9 Tench and 8 Tench across two of the most productive sessions there this, others being when it was too cold so I don't count those properly. I think the best was something like 5lb 12oz caught on the waggler

- Fishing the Crucian lake, Hurst Farm, I had a PB Goldfish which is in my Avatar, got to be pushing over 1.5lb but I didn't weigh it unfortunately. I think 16 Crucians was my best session there for those but probably the best day was a massive bag of the good stamp Roach, with 120 of them in one day for my biggest Roach bag ever.

- The Severn has not really produced a massive amount of fish for me this year. I've been trying new stretches and pegs, settling for quite a few evening sessions on a peg with big overhanging trees, but I think 5 Barbel was my best evening there. I did towards the end of the summer have my PB 10lb 12oz Barbel on worm, which I have to be pleased with.

I don't think I've missed anything... and I suppose I can't complain about that... it does go so fast though... and I think not having local Bream fishing narrows the amount of variety I can get in, with Patshull not fishing well and Earlswood being drained. Also been a bit disappointed by the rivers this year, particularly the weir, which I hope fingers crossed will do ok in the autumn. The previous summer I seemed to enjoy more when a lot of these venues were still very fresh and new to me, now I've got used to them a bit more, I plan to do a lot more Tench fishing next year.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I had a lot of very similar sessions through the summer really with quite a few Thames roach bags ranging from low to upper teens (well along with a couple much smaller ones!) but the best session would have been the one time that I definitely comfortably cleared 20lb.

Dogbert

My best sessions were not necessarily when I caught the most fish or the biggest fish. They were those where I felt I blended in with the landscape. Where I watched the kingfishers arrowing along the river, inches from the surface. Where dragonflies sat on the pole and the sun reflected off their iridescent bodies. When a tawny owl flew upstream as I was packing up. I finding watching the river endlessly fascinating, how the crease moves around when I am stick float fishing. Warm summer evenings, watching the sunset reflected off the trees opposite. Catching fish was just a bonus.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Now that it seems a few people aren't really looking forward to winter, lets look back to summer, and recollect on what were your best sessions?

For me...

- Just before the rivers opened, I went back to Chard Reservoir on holiday for the second time. It wasn't quite as productive as the first time round where I caught 90 Bream across 3 days, but I had I think 50 or 60 Bream over 3 days. I look forward to going back next year as my local Bream lake, Patshull Park, no Bream whatsoever have been coming out so I just haven't fished it.

- Then just when the rivers opened I had 20 Chub at the very start of the season from my local weir, the most I've caught in terms of numbers of Chub from there, only marred slightly by the fact some were the same fish coming out twice and they were still in straggly condition. The weir did not fish well since then as the Chub moved on and only a few very small fish moved in, and I'm hoping that a few Barbel will move in for Autumn.

- I plucked up the courage to go Tench fishing again, after catching 13 on my first session there, I was worried I wouldn't catch. I think I had 9 Tench and 8 Tench across two of the most productive sessions there this, others being when it was too cold so I don't count those properly. I think the best was something like 5lb 12oz caught on the waggler

- Fishing the Crucian lake, Hurst Farm, I had a PB Goldfish which is in my Avatar, got to be pushing over 1.5lb but I didn't weigh it unfortunately. I think 16 Crucians was my best session there for those but probably the best day was a massive bag of the good stamp Roach, with 120 of them in one day for my biggest Roach bag ever.

- The Severn has not really produced a massive amount of fish for me this year. I've been trying new stretches and pegs, settling for quite a few evening sessions on a peg with big overhanging trees, but I think 5 Barbel was my best evening there. I did towards the end of the summer have my PB 10lb 12oz Barbel on worm, which I have to be pleased with.

I don't think I've missed anything... and I suppose I can't complain about that... it does go so fast though... and I think not having local Bream fishing narrows the amount of variety I can get in, with Patshull not fishing well and Earlswood being drained. Also been a bit disappointed by the rivers this year, particularly the weir, which I hope fingers crossed will do ok in the autumn. The previous summer I seemed to enjoy more when a lot of these venues were still very fresh and new to me, now I've got used to them a bit more, I plan to do a lot more Tench fishing next year.
Sounds like you had a good season, well done👍👍👍

By the way, I also used to count my fish when I was a kid😜😜😜

smiffy

Site Supporter
60lb ish of Bream. A bit disappointing really as it was a long day for twelve fish. Apart from that it’s been tough but I haven’t been out too often. Will be getting busy round about now as the rivers come into some form👍

icaughtafishonce

Not bad. Managed 3 trout this year, so that's up on 2 last year. But I really didn't get out on the river much.

- Caught a tench at my club's 'tench' lake, took 3 sessions, but I managed it! (never caught one before)
- Caught my first carp at a club lake, 16lbs, epic battle that ended up with me wading out to net it from a snag with a local guy going 'fair play, that's proper fishing'. Made me feel weirdly proud.
- Took a mate dry fly fishing, first time he's done it. I managed to get us on a stunning hatch and he caught. Which was great. It was a great feeling seeing him catching that.
- Went bass fishing in Pembrokeshire with above mate. Didn't catch but it was a nice day with a good mate.

Pretty good year all in. I don't normally catch much, but I don't make things easy for myself. I rarely have time for long sessions. I rarely visit the same venue twice. I flit between different kinds of fishing so I'm terrible at all of them.

I did go sea fishing, but it was on a commercial boat. I caught really well, but it was a bit spoilt I guess, cause it felt easy. The skipper was an expert. Knew all the spots amazingly. Had a fish finder etc. Just wasn't the same. Yeah, I'm weird like that.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
The day I finally decided to try the Method feeder. Having spent hours and hours looking at YouTube vids buying the feeders and pellets, not to mention the wafters and tying hooklinks. One day on Sunrise lake I finally decided to come off the waggler and have a chuck on the Method. Never having fished this method before I was quite apprehensive and my accuracy was, to be quite frank, rubbish! The fishing gods must have been looking down on me that day as it was a truly incredible afternoon.
It was just taking the "P", fish after fish, the tip swinging round before I had even a chance to sink the line!
In one afternoon session and if memory serves me right I caught 16 F1 and carp mix. It was madness!!
@Mrs Munch came to my swim to see what the hell was going on, how very dare I catch so many? So seated her down cast out for her and said you will know... Bang on cue the rod swept right round and she was in. A good battle later and a great F1 was in the net.
I like this she grinned...
So three Tricast rods, three Centris NT reels, one Guru N Gauge and a Diawa 18 QDR reel later we are happily feeder fishing.
The dark cold days are coming now though and we will soon be back to waggler and for me the pole to try and learn more about it.

Enjoy your days out all (y)