Best Session

DunbarDinnes

Site Supporter
Apologies if this has been done before but was looking through some of my old record books and picked out a couple of outstanding sessions I had over the years. First one was in 4th September 1967 on the Ouse at Offord had my first sizeable chub session, ending in 29 fish to 4lb (which was a good size back then). Next up 24th September 1978 Farm Lake in Co Waterford Eire, took an astonishing 703 Tench between 1 & 3lb all on single grain of corn...I remember it well as I ran out of bait completely. And another was the night of 3/4th August 1987 when I took 78 Carp between 1am & 4am freelining luncheon meat, I remember this vividly as the Carp were taking the meat on the drop and I barely had time to get rod in rest all fish were between 3 & 5lb

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
"Next up 24th September 1978 Farm Lake in Co Waterford Eire, took an astonishing 703 Tench between 1 & 3lb all on single grain of corn."

So let's say at 2lb each you caught 1400lb of Tench in one 24 hour session
If for 24 hours that is 29 fish every hour or one every 2 minutes

Ummm

DunbarDinnes

Site Supporter
"Next up 24th September 1978 Farm Lake in Co Waterford Eire, took an astonishing 703 Tench between 1 & 3lb all on single grain of corn."

Ummm
Have you fished Ireland? There are still places where fish never see an angler

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
So that's 58 2lb Tench every hour or one a minute every minute for the entire 12 hours.

Sorry if I am sceptical but....

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
703 Tench in one session😳

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I managed 700 minnows in a session. Had about 40 chub one day, 3/4lb up to about 3lb, must have been shoaled up ready for spawning, fished the same swim plenty of times, nothing close to that came out again. That was the River Mole in Surrey. Back in the late 70's I had a magic day (or it seemed so in those days) using hempseed from a little jar that Shakespeare sold. Fishing on One Island pond on Mitcham common I had over a dozen half pound plus roach, with the biggest going 1lb 6oz. I had only been fishing a year or so when that happened.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I don't many very impressive ones but they are good enough for me and stand out even though I've came close to matching them a few times.

38 Bream avg 4lb Patshull Park
20 Chub avg 2lb Worcs Stour
9 Barbel avg 4lb first time I fished the Severn
120 good stamp Roach from Hurst Farm
13 Tench avg 4lb first time I fished Himley Hall expecting Roach

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter

Ummm
What are you implying Lee? 🤥😳🤔

nejohn

Site Supporter

Ummm
and all on the same grain of corn ;)

Shadrack

Fished about 9 hours at Pasture Wood in Hull. Spent the first five hours fishless and then all a sudden the place was full of bream. Over the next four hours I had about 30 bream all around 5-6lb and a single tench of about 3lb. That would be my best session weight.

For most fun, I’ve honestly never had as much fun as the first time I ran a stick float down a local small stream. A couple hours of catching small roach and chublets who all appeared suicidal despite being in low clear water so I could see everything. Even caught my first minnow as well.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
My best sessions are not solely based on amount of fish caught but there are other factors such as venue, guests, weather and wildlife.

One such example was fishing an estate lake overnight mid June. A stunning Estate lake at that surrounded by trees and covered in lilies with only me there.
A good yarn with bailiff was followed by a nice bank side meal washed down with a decent craft ale.
Several decent Tench caught as light faded whilst listening to evening birdsong.
Visited by an inquisitive pair of young foxes and swooped upon when calling the resident Tawny owls before retiring for the night.
Woken during early hours by a few bleeps to a moonlit lake, so bright the lilies had opened into full flower - a sight to behold.
Next morning up at sunset enjoying more birdsong and the warmth of the rising sun whilst watching the lake come to life before catching a few more Tench followed by bank cooked bacon butties for breakfast.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Not implying anything just astounded at your prowess of being able to catch so many Tench consistently over that time duration.
A 2lb Tench every minute in 12 hours is something special.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Not implying anything just astounded at your prowess of being able to catch so many Tench consistently over that time duration.
A 2lb Tench every minute in 12 hours is something special.
Op may of miss typed, or run out of fingers - a problem not faced in these parts 🫣