Best seasons of year

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’d quite happily emigrate to the Southern Hemisphere at the end of November and come back in March as much of that period is a washout here.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I’d quite happily emigrate to the Southern Hemisphere at the end of November and come back in March as much of that period is a washout here.
I find that really hard to believe😉.If I can go out and catch fish, one way or another, right through the winter then I’m sure you can. You’re in a much better part of the country than me.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Reading Patshull match results over winter on Facebook, it's difficult as expected for the Bream though they are also running Pike matches. Most of the winning weights are in the teens so it's not worth pleasure fishing there for Bream, though there was one match win I think of 60lb+ caught on the slider from the boats which I think are shallower than the deeps, having never fished from the boats myself. Can imagine the deeps are devoid of fish there over winter but if you land on a shoal as happened for the chap in that match you could still catch. It has a closed season from January onwards until the middle of the year though.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
spring or autumn for me

closed season aint a bother as Ive got the canal to fish
Same here, except swap canal for local commercials as the Royal Military is too far for me to travel. Don't like summer much - don't go out when the forecast is 25c or greater. Winter? Used to love it, but can only get out sometimes

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
could if pushed walk to seabrook to fish the military

even the furthest parts for me is easier than driving to lets say Monks

not that you can drive much here at the mo anyway

alsur

Site Supporter
Autumn for me although I've had some good catches in spring, don't like really hot weather now, unless it's a match I avoid fishing in day on hot days, although I enjoy fishing in evening when it cools down.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I find that really hard to believe😉.If I can go out and catch fish, one way or another, right through the winter then I’m sure you can. You’re in a much better part of the country than me.
I think in 10 years of adult life the winter of 18/19 is the only winter that I can recall that wasnt stuffed by floods, snow frosts etc. I did have some really good fishing that winter but apart from that the rivers have largely spent the winters flooded and/or freezing. Still apart from a bit of a lull in 19 the summer and autumn fishing has been brilliant for those 10 years so can't complain really 👍🏻

squimp

Site Supporter
Winter for me.

Followed by autumn, spring and summer; very much in that order.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
could if pushed walk to seabrook to fish the military

even the furthest parts for me is easier than driving to lets say Monks

not that you can drive much here at the mo anyway
Monks is under 20 miles from me the other side of Maidstone, while Orchard Farm is around a couple of miles further at Paddock Wood. Nearer to me is the little Willows, and of course Mote Park which I've fished a few times this year

Northantslad

'Any indications?
All have their merits.
The following has been my fishing for the last couple of years.

Spring- Bit of warmth coming and with many species waking up, Bream & Tench time. Specimen Carp too, as i find the the larger fish start feeding ahead of others at this point of the year and where i like them-on the deck.

Summer- Not actually always ideal, but early mornings and later on sessions has to be said a great time to be fishing for anything.

Autumn- some lovely days and the fish get near the deck again.

Winter-some great days for blowing the cobwebs away and targeting silvers and F1s.

Of course, out through all of those seasons too within the open season for Barbelling.

If i had to pick one, then Autumn, due to the options available to me and the stunning days you get and sometimes still in just light weather gear.

Silver fan 82

I like all of the seasons really. I love to see the changes in the seasons. But I think late summer and Autumn have to be my favourite times of year. Alot of the fish are on the feed ready for the winter and are feeding well. Also like the winter as generally the banks are quiter and love the frosty mornings not that we have had many darn sarf so far.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Late spring is when the bream spawn, usually the last two weeks of May. There is a period there after when they go mad and feed in Ernest.
Late summer is when seed baits come into their own. Many a good day on hemp and tares.
However all months/seasons are magical, offering variety and wonder all year round.long may it continue

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I love spring and Autumn But Winter is my Favourite, summat about the Dark nights, work to keep warm, everything smells better for some reason.

rd350lc

You can keep winter , I think it's going to be a struggle to even find anywhere to fish around here for the foreseable with all floodwater around and bad forecasts . Like others have said, the seasons of late are very different and the wet mildish winters seems to be the norm nowadays .

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You can keep winter , I think it's going to be a struggle to even find anywhere to fish around here for the foreseable with all floodwater around and bad forecasts . Like others have said, the seasons of late are very different and the wet mildish winters seems to be the norm nowadays .
Couldn’t agree more.

It’s obviously a geographical thing but the regular floods we get I winter these days and often interspersed with frosts really kill the fishing on my stretches of the Thames and don’t do the Avon and Ouse any great favours either although they are slightly more tolerant of it than the Thames. They are all, particularly the Thames, rivers that undisputedly fish many times better in the summer and autumn than they do in the winter (you’ve only got to look at match results let alone pleasure results to see that) so its hardly surprising that those of us in these parts prefer those more fish friendly times of the year.

There is also a bit of a lack of decent commercials in these parts as well so there isn’t many alternative options for easier fishing for when the rivers are out of sorts like other places have on offer. We do have do have plenty of natural, naturalised or natural style Stillwaters but given their fairly natural stocking levels they like the rivers are again much better in the summer and autumn than they are in the winter.

All that combined means whilst this neck of the woods is as good as anywhere in the country in the summer and autumn it can be a very hard place to fish in the winter.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Now it's the depths of winter, some people don't like it for fishing, I don't mind it, but it got me thinking about which seasons of the year I prefer.

Spring - Probably my least favourite due to the closed season and my Bream venue also having a closed season. Late Spring I can get on with, as I can do a bit of Tench fishing when it's adequately warm. Late March though, this was the first big lockdown month of this year, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to fish for. By that time I've already had my fix of Winter Commercial feeder fishing, it might not be warm enough for Crucians yet, and the rivers are closed.

Summer - Probably my favourite. The rivers have reopened and I can bask in the sun for all day sessions, or chose to go on impromptu evening sessions.

Autumn - Another good season, aside from the leaves. I have heard it described as the least favourite of some anglers due to the leaves. But this is prime river fishing season for me and there's still a chance of fishing for some Bream.

Winter - I make do by going to commercials, which although I haven't done that much of this year, gives me my fix and I adapt tactics for comfort by just legering. And it seems there's also a bit of sport to be had on my local river, with even Barbel showing this year.

In summary, I like the different seasons of British weather as it means I have to rotate my fishing, but I do feel at a bit of a loss at some times of year, particularly early Spring. The big lockdown could not have happened during a better month for me this year, by the time it was over, it was already prime Tench time.
I love it when its warmer late spring all the way through to november ,hate it when there is ice on the ground although i used to walk about 2 to 3 miles with a creel and the rest of my gear to Lifford canal or Cannon hill park and break ice when I was a kid . I need to man up and get out 😆

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I love the sense of optimism in spring, the greenery is starting to come alive, the weather starts to progressively get warmer and there is an air of optimism. Summer, I can get on the rivers. Autumn, although everything starts to die off (which I find depressing) the bigger river catches happen and the fish are healthy and cleaner. Winter, I like the challenge of beating the elements, winkling out a few fish and a bowl of stew with crusty bread and a mug of tea when I get home. I have just realised that I don't have a favourite season, they all offer something. Life is about finding the positives in every situation and wringing every last drop of enjoyment out of them.

Silver fan 82

Up until the past few days we have had daytime temperatures just into double figures in the far South East! Crazy for the time of year. It has got colder the past 2 or 3 days or so.