Best seasons of year

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Now it's the depths of winter, some people don't like it for fishing, I don't mind it, but it got me thinking about which seasons of the year I prefer.

Spring - Probably my least favourite due to the closed season and my Bream venue also having a closed season. Late Spring I can get on with, as I can do a bit of Tench fishing when it's adequately warm. Late March though, this was the first big lockdown month of this year, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to fish for. By that time I've already had my fix of Winter Commercial feeder fishing, it might not be warm enough for Crucians yet, and the rivers are closed.

Summer - Probably my favourite. The rivers have reopened and I can bask in the sun for all day sessions, or chose to go on impromptu evening sessions.

Autumn - Another good season, aside from the leaves. I have heard it described as the least favourite of some anglers due to the leaves. But this is prime river fishing season for me and there's still a chance of fishing for some Bream.

Winter - I make do by going to commercials, which although I haven't done that much of this year, gives me my fix and I adapt tactics for comfort by just legering. And it seems there's also a bit of sport to be had on my local river, with even Barbel showing this year.

In summary, I like the different seasons of British weather as it means I have to rotate my fishing, but I do feel at a bit of a loss at some times of year, particularly early Spring. The big lockdown could not have happened during a better month for me this year, by the time it was over, it was already prime Tench time.

Maverick

Site Supporter
Tuesday I had the privilage of having the big match lake all to myself. Flat calm and with only a swan to keep me company. We shared my butties and he never left my side for 5 hours and I never saw or spoke to another person.

The fishing was pants but it was as close to heaven as I want to get at the moment. A day I will always remember after such a dreadful year.

Last edited:

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
virtually none, you get the odd local beach fishing but they eat everything so very little to catch, few big game boats which i have not tired yet and a few ponds where you can catch catfish or where there is a fish restaurant and you catch small carp and eat what you catch. Main hobby will be golf for me when i move there

what sorta fishing is there over there ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
One thing is that the seasons are shifting a bit these days at least down here in the south. Winter is still very much December to February but spring now is pretty much just March and April with summer now starting in May and lasting to end of September so autumn only really October and November.

Summer is my favourite season as it’s the easiest fishing in the nicest weather but I’d say my favourite fishing months are May and June for Stillwaters and the sea and July, September and October for rivers.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
was talking to other members of Walton on teh Naze sea fishing club about the changing seasons and fishing as its noticeable now, virtually no cod on essex coast but nearly all year round thornback rays, bass for much longer now and even wyting stay nearly year round now, completely different and changed noticeably even during my short 44 years. Can see it clearly through John Popplewell archives as well, quite amazing to see how quickly its changed

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
What are peoples thoughts on Bream fishing in March and April? Too cold? As I could always go to places like Earlswood when there's not much else that takes my fancy during those months...

Stewie74

Site Supporter
So far it’s Autumn and Winter for me, but I only started fishing in October.

I think spring and Summer will also become favourites at some stage. 👍

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
What are peoples thoughts on Bream fishing in March and April? Too cold? As I could always go to places like Earlswood when there's not much else that takes my fancy during those months...
Bream (and roach) tend to spawn in April around here so that month it can be a bit hit and miss some years great others not so good. May is the month when both are really on the post spawn munch. At least that’s how it works on Stillwaters. On rivers the bream have a right go from opening day yet tends to take a couple weeks for the roach to get going so I wonder if they sometimes spawn a bit later on rivers. I doubt they do though from what I’ve seen so I reckon it’s probably that they just haven’t fully relocated from the spawning grounds by opening day.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Ah yeah, Spawning... another reason not to like Spring that much!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah April can be a sod for spawning disruptions for all sorts. One blessing of May being like full summer these days is that spawning is always over by then for most species.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter

had my best ever catch of bream on the royal military just as they were shoaling up to spawn

3 full nets of big black dustbin lids, well over a 100lb of em,

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I remember the day I had Tenching I think in May this year, there were massive 20lb+ Carp still thrashing around in the margins. Quite a sight and people were stopping to film and photograph them!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The pre spawn munch is why the last two weeks of the river season can be great. Just can’t remember the last time the last two weeks weren’t flooded 😅

smiffy

Site Supporter
April can be the best month of the year. Bream normally spawn in May so they’re shoaling up prior to spawning. Catch them like this and it’s happy days. Most people travel to Holland April-May for the Bream. Even better is that they’re like sandpaper, no slimy mess to keep out of the car.

My favourite seasons are Autumn and Winter. Only two seasons I can get on the river. Weed dies in Autumn and is gone in Winter😂.

Last edited: