best river pike conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miggy

St Ives Fishing
what are the best river conditions to catch summer pike? i'll be fishing the witham at tattershall bridge at the end of next month once me and mrs have bagged up moon lakes and are going to bivi up over night and fish through until tea time the day after, so has anyone caught on this stretch? how big do they go? what rigs/baits and methods would be best? where would you target as its a very wide and very deep river. any help that anyone can give would be very welcome as we only get to fish this river once or twice a year for a day or so at a time. (PM me if you want to keep your tactics close to your chest, i wont say a word [8D])also going to try to beat my perch pb of 3.5lb which i had last september from this very swim on a short session[:D] oh and one more thing, how would i be best going about catching a few small roach for lives (just 1 or 2 small 'ens dont worry) on there?

cheers guys[:)]

midge99

In summer you are better lure fishing and roaming around. I you are going to bivvy up I would look for some where that provides some cover close to the near side bank. I would go with oily sea baits like mackeral so the oills wil draw the fish in from all around and pop the baits up especially if eels are present.

Miggy

St Ives Fishing
how far down do the matches go? do u know of any flatter parts on the bank cos at the bridge its steep as hell!

Bungee

Not sure the matches run in the summer, more a winter venue for us matchies!

I found the best bait for pike is a 10/12 oz roach on a 0.10 bottom, pole fished with a 6 elastic. Seems to be mega succesful there!

newies_maggots

matches run up to the lock and under the bridge to the jetty.

as the bungmyster said, maybe more winter matches than summer, but get there and if know one is there, fish it.

boston drains produce bigger fish

Status
Not open for further replies.