Best reel line for close in small waggled fishing on a commercial canal.

Castlefisher

Hello.
I have a mate who 'goes fishing.' He admires my pole fishing but it's not for him. Like me, he's old - but with him it's "dog and new tricks" etc.
He sticks out a bait on the lead and waits for a run, essentially. Summer fishing!
He'd like ( and I'd like him to catch) to come to a nearby commercial canal fishery with me these autumn and warmer winter months, . I'd really want him to catch, but his present method would make that very difficult.
I think the best I can get him to do is fish a small waggler down the track and in the margin.
He needs to scale down his lines etc, which I will get him to do. The fish are small carp, f1s, bream ,with possibly a 9lb carp: and I think he will catch on bread, pellet maybe sweet corn, meat.
I anticipate reel line around 6 and hooklengths around 3.8 to 4lb using Reflo.
I'd need to check that he has a thru action rod .
Would that be about right ?
Any suggestions would be appreciated,
bearing in mind he is somewhat set in his ways.e.g. Feeder fishing using a clip say to the far bank would be beyond what he would want to do😀
TIA

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My set up is 4lb reel line and around 0.14 to 0.16 hooklength.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I would also go with a reel line of between 3&4lb but make sure it is not a pre stretched, go for something like Maxima, Perlon, Drennan Floatfish etc and I would start with a hook length of 0.14 but be prepared to go down to 0.12 or up to 0.16 if need be. A 6lb mainline would not be great for casting light wagglers and if he is not experienced may become very frustrated very quickly

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
As above my choices for reel line are Maxima or Sensor and hooklength Reflo Power or Stroft GTM.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Agree with John. There’s a cold snap on the way. I fish a similar type of venue on the waggler with 3lb mainline & nothing above 1lb 8oz hooklength. I’d go maggot or punch in winter but you know your fishery & what the fish will go for. Very rare for me to catch a carp in the colder months up here even though it’s full of them, so I target the silvers.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
4lb Drennan Floatfish (on a centrepin) would be my suggestion in conjunction with Drennan Crystal wagglers - lovely for canals, lakes, rivers and commies.

Hooklength of 0.14 N-gauge would be my preference but I use n-gauge for all my hooklengths and have done since returning to Angling.

DomCrtr1975

An Idiot looking for a Village!
4lb Drennan Floatfish (on a centrepin) would be my suggestion in conjunction with Drennan Crystal wagglers - lovely for canals, lakes, rivers and commies.
...another vote for the 4lb Float fish (i dont have a centrepin though) and drennan crystal wagglers.

Castlefisher

Thank you fellas. We live down south and this commercial canal is 13 metres wide: however I don't hint he'll want to go much further than down the track or along the margin.
(As I do with a pole, but as I say, a pole is unknown and unwanted territory to him.
The small carp can and will ( from past experience) still be active in winter, especially on bread. So 3and half lb hooklength would be advisable to avoid breaks.
Thanks again.

richox12

Considering you're fishing very close (Possibly not even needing to cast) and he has a through actioned rod whether the line has 30% stretch or 25% stretch or even just 20% stretch isn't really going to matter. So pre-stretched or not (all lines are pre-stretched anyway). If your max hooklength is 4lb then your reel line could still be 4lb or 5lb at most - assuming it is same or bigger diameter than the hooklength (makes/brands vary - a 4lb could be stronger/thicker than a 5lb or even 6lb !!). The thinner lines cast easier but as mentioned, it seems unlikely he will be casting anyway.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
2lb maxima or similar in 0.16, for the reel, 0.10 hooklengh or even 0.8 if it’s hard, only step up to 0.12 if yer bagging👍

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
My set up is 4lb reel line and around 0.14 to 0.16 hooklength.
What is it with this line thickness measurement nowadays?
"......4lb reel line and around 0.14....."
What's 0.14 in measurements an old codger can understand?

Whitty

Probably a bulk spool of 4lb Daiwa Sensor(breaks heavier) would do a good job gor your friend,you may find a better line,but not for the price and it is reliable...

rudd

Site Supporter
Probably a bulk spool of 4lb Daiwa Sensor(breaks heavier) would do a good job gor your friend,you may find a better line,but not for the price and it is reliable...
You beat me to it.
4lb sensor mainline although I would consider drennan float fish.
Drennan double strength hooklength.
Job done.