Best method to store Casters?

Albert H

The guy who I buy my bait & tackle off, said to store them in their supplied clear bag inside a black bin liner rolled up inside the fridge - so that's what I've done.

I plan on using half pint tomorrow, then another half pint on Sunday out of the 1 pint bag.

How do you guys store yours before use, and what's the best way to store the remaining 1/2 pint once the bag has been opened?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I use the damp newspaper trick inside a bait tub and kept in the fridge, lasts for a week, but they will keep kept dark and refridgerated for a few days. Any longer and I think you can freeze them.

DFL

Site Supporter
I caught a nice bag of fish today using casters I’ve had in the fridge for two weeks, they had gone rather dark but the roach seemed to enjoy them.
22-BD4-FF7-DDA6-4-FC1-A701-6545-FE97213-D.jpg

I kept them in the same bait box as in the pic covered with damp newspaper before putting the lid on, gave them an airing every couple of days.

Gwillim

Just chuck mine in a baitbox in the bag and then in the fridge, anything left over went back in a bag and into the freezer until they were next needed.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
iIve never found any really good way of storing them

had em delivered in sealed vac packed bags, kept em cool in the dark, fridged, in boxes with damp paper, even in water floating, still stunk when I went to use em, loads floated when loose fed,

freezing em aint much better, some burn and they still float

if they aint fresh, under a week old, I give em to the ducks and swans,

Kirtons

Site Supporter
Black bin liner air tight in a fridge, picked it up of a des Shipp video

Total

Site Supporter
Black bin liner air tight in a fridge, picked it up of a des Shipp video

Terry Hearn uses a similar method.....You must still give them time to breath (10 minutes) every couple of days....Repack and re-fridge....Must have been fresh turned casters in the first place (tend to do mine myself).....Have got two weeks max' from the above before feeding the birds. (y)

floatfisher

Site Supporter
In a bait box covered with cold water in the fridge and change the water daily. Kept them for a week like that no problem. The 'caster king' Benny Ashurst recommended it and that 's good enough for me.

smiffy

Site Supporter
In a black bin bag,kept in a cold fridge. Open the bag once every couple of days for a few seconds, to give them some fresh air and put back in the fridge. Make sure to get as much air out of the bag as possible when you put them in. I do this by grabbing the bag as close to the casters as possible and spinning them.
Keeping them in water does eventually kill them and once they’ve gone they start to pong a bit. So make sure to keep giving them a bit of air if you do this. The water also needs to be really cold.
Using a black bag avoids bag burn.

Gwillim

If the black of the bag is what avoids the burn then maybe using dog poo bags (majority are black and very cheap in a lot of discount stores) would save using a great big bin bag :)

smiffy

Site Supporter
If the black of the bag is what avoids the burn then maybe using dog poo bags (majority are black and very cheap in a lot of discount stores) would save using a great big bin bag :)
As long as they’re not the scented ones?

rudd

Site Supporter
bait box, damp newspaper pushed down onto casters, clingfilm pushed down onto newspaper and back up sides of bait box and lid put on to secure clingfilm, then box put in fridge.
Let them breathe once a day, last for ages with no burn.

When fishing always put water in with mine to stop them drying out.

trotter2

Like said I use the pellet pump and pop them in the fridge.
Wash them off once a day and back in the fridge again.

Kirtons

Site Supporter
They would ...not easy to get hold of though?