best loop knot?

Andy the grandad

Stress is caused by not fishing enough.
Site Supporter
Which loop knot would you use in the end of hooklengths, figure of eight or a double overhand loop knot?
I am finding the figure of eight a bit fiddly to wrap around itself in fine mono and I was wondering if the twice through the loop overhand was good enough for my rigs.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Easy to tie a fig 8 - double line over, make a single loop with both strands, put closed tweezers through double loop from front , twist around once , open tweezers and gently grip the single loop and pull through, gently pull tighter, remove tweezers, put in loop sizer , lick and tighten.

Andy the grandad

Stress is caused by not fishing enough.
Site Supporter
Easy to tie a fig 8 - double line over, make a single loop with both strands, put closed tweezers through double loop from front , twist around once , open tweezers and gently grip the single loop and pull through, gently pull tighter, remove tweezers, put in loop sizer , lick and tighten.
Must try that sounds good.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sensas loop tyer, simple and consistent loops.
Video of it here, the guy in the video says do two or three turns, I only do one and have never had a loop knot fail, doing one makes a neater, smaller knot.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I have tried those but the loops are too small to fit the Preston hook length pegs.
I use the old style metal pegged Korum loop sizer, large end.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
figure of 8 for me, i tie it on a korum baiting needle. can adjust the loop to suit the size of any hook length box pegs

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Figure of 8 is the strongest simple loop knot without getting into big game shock leader type knots so it is worth using and the difference in strength is very obvious with some lines.
Easy way to tell is to take a length of line,tie an overhand loop at one end and a figure of 8 on the other end then pull for a break 10 or dozen times.
At least 8 or 10 of the breaks will be on the weaker overhand knot if you are tieing both reasonably well.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have tried those but the loops are too small to fit the Preston hook length pegs.
I use the old style metal pegged Korum loop sizer, large end.
There are two sizes, the bigger one fits the Preston boxes easily, I prefer a smaller loop so use the small one, I manage to get them into Preston & Frenzee boxes. You can with practice, slightly vary the size of the loop, even using these tyers.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I don't mind a slighty bigger loop as it helps to slow the drop at the very end. I often also use thicker main line to do the same thing.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
This is the way I do mine ( this is for a band but knot is similar I just use 2 prongs )

richox12

Double Overhand. Stronger (when I tested - although I'm not sure it matters much) and easier to slide and get correct & consistent sized loops.

Total

Site Supporter
Double Overhand. Stronger (when I tested - although I'm not sure it matters much) and easier to slide and get correct & consistent sized loops.

It used to be until I learnt how to do a figure of eight knot over 30 years ago. ;):giggle:

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I use one of them plastic loop tyers and never had a break so... whichever knot that makes (y)