Best Indian dish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
What's your best Indian dish from the takeaways then?

We had an Indian tonight, the first for a long while, and to be honest it wasn't that good.
The mixed starter was alright but the main, Nawabi Khara Chicken, whilst being described on the menu as 'the best' it was far from it and neither of us could work out if it was likeable or not - I even left some of mine so what's that say lol [:C]

So, back to the menu, what's the best dish on there in your opinion ?

pole addict

Any lamb dish.
Vindaloo, bhuna, shashlick.......I love em all.
The kebab starters are nice too.

chrismo

Originally posted by Dave

What's your best Indian dish from the takeaways then?

So, back to the menu, what's the best dish on there in your opinion ?

Chicken Pathia

pat 1948

22/09/13 - 17/03/18
In Memoriam
Nowt to beat a good Madras, providing it's not overly hot like some Pathia's I've had, they're hot going in and coming out!!!

rubberducky

aller la pche
ill go for a pathia and lamb.

sweet, hot, fruity and sour all in one. no wonder its so popular.

if done right its a taste sensation!!!

ive never had a hot one though. but i like the odd vindy or phall so i can tolerate the heat most find unbearable. plenty of fluids keeps the heat intensity down i find.

i usually skip desert too as the good lady isnt a big eater and the korma and coconut style meals she usually opts for, usually do me fine as a finish to the meal.

rubbercooky...

shang

Either a chicken jafrezi or a chicken dhansak..

But if the question was "what dish could you eat the most of" my vote would go to sag paneer.

me

usually a mixed meat jalfrazi with a garlic and chilli nam

The Runner

Site Supporter
Don't get to eat Indian anything near as regularly as I'd like as the other half's not too keen, but most often go for the lamb section of the menu, either Rogan Josh or Dhansak as the default choice . One of the local Indian's has recently changed hands and tweaked the menu quite a bit . Very impressed with their Lamb Zardaloo (sp ?), cooked with potato and apricots along with the usual spices.
Living in Uxbridge I'm not far up the road from Southall and Hounslow where there's any number of places with Indian Indian as opposed to British Indian menus. Been to quite a few over the years, generally good and cheap, but too far for them to deliver though...

chunkylover

Ding Dang Do
Most meals are good if you go to a good takeaway, go to a bad takeaway and most meals are poo.

Lamb madras, chicken byriani, chicken saag, shaslik are all good meal also.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Yet can't beat good auld fish n chips, salt n vinegar and a pot of tea, yer can keep yer Indian muck,

Pontius Pilate

mufc ok
Tandoori mixed grill is lovely but its the most expensive thing on the menu apart from tandoori king prawn

jukebox1

Garlic prawn starter followed by a garlic chicken jalfrezi mopped up with a cheese and garlic naan bread.

Still stink of garlic a few days later and the trench stench is eye watering [:D][^]

wildcat16

Site Supporter
did one myself tonight, a recipe from mumrez khan in bradford,lamb&spinach karahi, georgeous [:D][:D]

Auto

Terry
Site Supporter
Lamb vindaloo unless they do a hotter one, some do a Phall some don't.

The secret to eating a hot curry is not to drink while you are eating your food.[:C]

Last edited:

alanmac

Site Supporter
Got to respond to this thread, my favourite subject, Asian cooking.

We'll, in my humble opinion Indian takeaways are simply the pits (most are anyway) and the reason is, ( stock pot city) as I call it. All takeaways prepare a huge pan of onions, Chickens and spices and it is this pot that goes into everything you order.

The chickens are stripped of the breast which goes into all chicken dishes, (apart from tika which is cooked in a tandoor) once the pan is cooked the oil is scooped off the top of the pan and used for cooking your dish, the onions are ladled off then liquidised which again goes into every dish especially your curries, the rest of the stock stays on a low flame until all used but as you can expect that will be switched off from time to time.

This is how they can cook such a supposed variety of Indian dishes, so you can imagine some stock pots have been used over many days, hence how some takeaways can be absolutely rank.

Without exception the only way to cook quality Indian dishes is using freshly ground spices, of course stock pots are vital for most restaurants but the difference is they are made fresh each day, the good ones anyway. My favourite restaurant is Vujons in Newcastle who Cook exactly as mentioned above, the menu is a quarter in size to most which is a good sign and it's not cheap which is another good sign.

Have you noticed how nearly all Indian takeaways have basically the same taste, well it's because of stock pot city. It's a bit like having a national Gregg's .

Just thought I would say, I cook a mean lamb curry[:T]

phat abbot

Originally posted by Mike atkinson

Yet can't beat good auld fish n chips, salt n vinegar and a pot of tea, yer can keep yer Indian muck,
alg garnett eat your heart out.

chicken ceylon for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.