Best fish you've caught

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When I fish the weir near my house with my dad he always seems to fish on the weir side while I cast downstream, usually because I get to the peg first, so it's always nice to see him catch decent chub and perch from there and that I haven't hogged the good spot. I was with him the other week at Kingsnordley when he had his first double figure carp too,

davepellet

I guess I'd have to say my pb 7lb 12oz tench from a very sparsely stocked water

But I can't ignore two others, 2lb 12oz crucian from a local dam and (what I'd probably have to say was my best ever fish) a 14oz dace from the Hampshire Avon

Pompous git

Site Supporter
2oz Perch, first fish I ever caught back in 1961 and I've been hooked ever since, never been bothered about PB's just viewed them as a bonus.
I've always appreciated the fish I catch regardless of size or species. ;)
That is my attitude as well, I just enjoy being by the waterside.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
1975, the night before my 5 days of finals exams, I just could not sleep.

At 4am, I got up, collected my fly rod & reel, and walked a couple of miles to a little trout stream near the college in Wales.

At about 5am, I caught the most perfect 1lb brown trout.
Normally, it would have received a quick knock to the head and taken back to my digs for the landlady.

But on that day, the image of that perfect wild creature was forever imprinted on my memory, and I returned to the water.
I felt good.

A couple of weeks later, exams over, I caught what I'm sure was the same fish, from under the same bush.
The landlady cooked it for me, with lemon, dill and butter, served with brown bread..
It was bloody delicious. ;)

Fred Davis

Bream 14lb 8oz Chub 7lb 2oz carp on the pole 23lb something, however it's not so much the size of fish it's the bags of fish that stick with me the chub came in a bag of 60lb with 6 also over 6lb the bream came in catch of bream all doubles 23 In total I think would have to check the records however one day sticks in my mind over 500lb of carp witnessed and watched by my good friend John Cook who stopped fishing to watch me in bagging mode on the wag and pellet, surprisingly John was also witness to my first ton of bream on the tidal thames we had arranged to meet up on the stretch near ham car par but he didn't show so I fished a peg a mate had told me about halfway through the session John appeared apparently he had been caught in traffic and settled on a swim well before my peg, I told him I would need help to weigh in, to which he thankfully obliged, although even I was surprised to go over the ton. However one fish I lost on the severn when I took my two boys to fish we had caught plenty of barbel to 8lb and I hooked one that was massive I mean gob smackingly Big, I witnessed a chaps barbel from a tributary of the lea with Alan Dove of 14lb 8oz and this pig that I hooked absolutely drawfted it, it was massive and I played it on 8lb line, could easily see it in the clear water and it's back was extremely broad, it decided after 10 minutes to swim downstream it was so strong it was ripping the reel handle backwards such was it's power eventually I had so much line out I decided that I would try and hold it with the inevitable consequences. that is the one fish I truly remember.

Last edited:

Witches valley

Account Locked
Lordy, I don't know.

I don't think I can say categorically. I have a few fish that stick in my mind from golden ofre, koi carp to Wild Roach, trout and everything in between but they are all special in their own way.

A last week I fished a flooded river and caught two Tommy ruffle, little fish but they really made my day.

Loads of text here and no answer, I'm going to say i've not caught my best fish yet. After all if I had there is no motivation to carry on ;)

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I remember my first double figure carp. It was on Kestral lake at Westwood Lakes. It weighed 12lbs. It was in late October and very cold so I’d had a really quiet session. I was really pleased with it and couldn’t wait to tell Mrs Whizz about it.

I’ve had plenty of doubles since but have never had a 20 yet.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I think mine is probably a 9lb barbel caught on the last day of the season from the river wear in Durham many years ago on very light stick float tackle, I can still remember the feeling of relief mixed with extreme excitement when I finally slipped the landing net under it.
Also a 1lb 12oz roach caught from a local old brick works pond on boxing Day in 1983 it was the biggest out of 8 roach over a pound I caught in a short session as the sun was going down, I just remember it as it was so peaceful and that fish looked almost gold with bright red fins in the late afternoon sun

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
The fish was not that big, but I once had a pure white catfish, it was 12lbs, it was on a club water I use to fish. It was as far as I no caught before me at 6-1/2 lbs.
That was a few years ago now don't no if it's still there. After that a 10lbs 11oz bream. Had a bream of the canal once 6lbs made me very very happy.🙂

The Runner

Site Supporter
Two best/ favourite fish, both in matches on the R Colne
Number one; Was fishing a teams of 4 match on the river and had drawn a known big fish area at Rickmansworth. Fished for a lump most of the match , had a couple of perch and could find a few gudgeon close in but didn't think was worth going for them. With an hour to go a mate who couldn't fish that day came round for a walk and told me it was hard everywhere and a pound and a half would be really good points in the section of 16. Had about 12oz already, reckoned could get twice that if I went for the gudgeon, so top three, 5 elastic, .09 and a fine wire 20. Had a dozen gudgeon in the next half hour, was debating whether to have one more look on the big fish line, when float went and a few feet of elastic came out. Thought it was a good perch or possibly a bream at first but when it hadn't moved after a couple of minutes realised it wasn't. Luckily it just spent 25 minutes plodding about close in (don't think it knew it was hooked) and just before the whistle netted what's still my biggest barbel at 10-3-8. Weighed 11-5 for a section win, third overall and team won as well.

Number two, at the other end of the scale; Club's "King of the Colne" series, 4 matches on the river and the one everyone wants to win, River had fished poorly all winter and with one match to go I was miles ahead and could only be caught if I blanked and either Derek or Bob finished top 3. Note at this point that Derek (our chairman and a good mate) had never won the trophy but had been runner up 4 of the previous 5 years. Anyway, Derek drew 52, pretty much a guaranteed framer at the time, Bob 61, nothing special, and me 37, notoriously one chub or nothing. Two chances of catching in 37 , usually right down the swim where it shallows up or occasionally tight across to a tiny slack under some brambles. Fished it hard all day without a bite, word had Bob with only a handful of bits and Derek catching roach steadily. Five minutes to go, still blanking, net drying up bank, bankwalkers informed Derek of this, two minutes to go, put waggler rod down, poked pole across to the slack one last time and float went. Struck and started shipping back in one movement to keep the expected chub out of the brambles. Nope, a minnow which somehow stayed on being shipped back 13.5m on a 12 elastic and a barbless 18.
Scales came round, Derek 6-5, not much behind that, and his face was a picture when he saw the bottom six inches of my net in the water.
0-0-4 and a series win...

Fred Davis

Wonderful days Runner loved it when fishing under the Harrow Banner we won the teams of four we managed this a few times with a couple of runner up spots in the team event in the few years we fished what a shame this match is no longer, my best was a big chub bag never had the smell of a barbel although plenty of lads seem to hook one I never did, DOH! normally it was about getting a few ounces and praying you had more than most ;-) Halcyon days great fun and crack.

The Runner

Site Supporter
Cheers Fred, yes it was always a good match, even if I did come top half of my section once with under a pound of mostly minnows...
Think won the team event once with GX and twice with Harefield
Shame its dropped off the calendar (although would involve a bit of travelling for me to fish it now ! )

GX had to drop their autumn teams of 4 on the river at Uxbridge as well about six years ago as with the continual low and fluctuating water levels we couldn't guarantee getting enough decent pegs in. The Shooting Stars charity match continued there in early March for a couple more years but after one horror result with two entire teams blanking (mine included) we moved it to the Slough Arm and then to New Farm.
Sign of the times...