Best fish you've caught

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
2oz Perch, first fish I ever caught back in 1961 and I've been hooked ever since, never been bothered about PB's just viewed them as a bonus.
I've always appreciated the fish I catch regardless of size or species. ;)

As long as at the end of the Day they all weigh more than Daves :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
As long as at the end of the Day they all weigh more than Daves :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Nah, Matches are a bit of fun nowadays for me Wisey. I'll normally be found wandering around at some point taking a few photos and having a chat.
Still get my fair share of nuggets though. ;)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
A 3lb 12oz Perch is one of the best fish I've seen caught in a match. We always used to get taken to Stourport River Severn Basin as kids and it was absolutely chock full of sticklebacks so no idea why we always used to go there instead of the river. Used to take near a gallon of maggots to try to attract a Perch as good through all the sticklebacks but it never happened again.

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
Continuing my interrupted post above:
It turned out to be a pike at least 20+lbs which I only saw after 20 mins as it just sulked down in the depths, moving very slowly with no trout like pulls or runs. I was hard put to it manoeuvering the drifting boat, turning on/off the electric motor trying to avoid lily pads and the bank I kept drifting towards. Eventually got it out in the middle of lough and after about 30 mins, only seeing it a couple of times on surface before it headed back down deep I'd decided to cut it free, for there was no way I'd have been able to net it. With the bend at times in my Grey's 10 ft carbon fly rod I feared a break! Then suddenly, it just broke free, leaving my 6lbs fly cast and fly intact! Relief all round.
So did I "catch" it? I'm glad I didn't!
Some members winter fish them with dead bait only, regularly getting 20-30 pounders, and always putting them back, .....in hope they'll cull the cormorants!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Hard to narrow it down to specific fish tbh as I tend to remember catches more than individual fish. Had my one and only 2lb roach at 14 so don’t remember that all that well, not come within half a pound of it since. Perch PB has been stuck at 2lb 14 for over 10 years and it’s becoming daft how many times I’ve equalled it now rather than cracking 3lb.

Suppose best for coarse fishing I’d say my 5.5lb Chub out of the severn last year. Beat by pb by a good couple pounds and was nice to get on the stick float. Sea fishing in England I would say probably my first Smoothhound when I was about 16 as it was a good one so probably my first double figure fish, probably only added a couple pounds to by PB for them since. Sea fishing in Florida there’s been a few. I’ve had some big spotted seatrout that would probably count as specimens being around 6-7lb although best for me was my first bonnethead this year as been after one for a few years and as a comfortably double it went well on a spinning rod in shallow water.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
My "best" fish isn't my biggest but a barbel of 15lb 10oz from the river Mole. A close second would be the 1lb 6oz roach from Mitcham common in 1976.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
My avatar is a 17lb mirror caught from Kingsnordley. Nothing special really but put up a good fight on a 12 elastic.
All fish are special mate. Especially a 17lb mirror. 12 elastic ? Did it know it was hooked ? 😆 I have a vision of you playing the fish and the fish was still routing about on the bottom .... Feeding 😆😆😆👍👍

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
All fish are special mate. Especially a 17lb mirror. 12 elastic ? Did it know it was hooked ? 😆 I have a vision of you playing the fish and the fish was still routing about on the bottom .... Feeding 😆😆😆👍👍

It was one with a tail the size of it's body, so looked quite big compared to how it looks in the pic. And I was fishing a peg with a massive bed of reeds in the margin, so was lucky this one swam into open water. I have two big telescopic repairs on the old Browning pole I'm using too, which stops me from wanting to fish over a 12. I reckon when I get a new pole I'll be more keen to fish places I know hold loads of 20+ carp again.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It was one with a tail the size of it's body, so looked quite big compared to how it looks in the pic. And I was fishing a peg with a massive bed of reeds in the margin, so was lucky this one swam into open water. I have two big telescopic repairs on the old Browning pole I'm using too, which stops me from wanting to fish over a 12. I reckon when I get a new pole I'll be more keen to fish places I know hold loads of 20+ carp again.
Could you hear the old pole groaning ? 😆😆😆

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Could you hear the old pole groaning ? 😆😆😆

I was getting the whistling sound the elactic makes a lot when I fished Sion Farm the other week. Definitely not going back there until I get a stronger pole.

Takes me back to first time I fished Moorlands Farm on the Island Pool. For some reason I had a top kit with a number 8 elastic. :oops: Hooked into a 'lump', turned out to be only 8lb, that snapped my top section in two. Still got the fish in with the Baliff on my back wondering why it was taking half an hour with a broken pole. God knows why I had no8 elastic.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Tend to hook at least one carp of the below stamp every time I fish my local Stillwater for roach and perch. On floats rods with 4lb line and 2.5lb hook links it’s 50/50 on landing them though. My best has been 17lb but my grandad did a 20lb this year. Typically if I fish for them deliberately with Avon rods I tend to only get scraper doubles.

Attachments

• 199A646D-1D01-4DBA-999E-1DD9071DCCE4.jpeg
    199A646D-1D01-4DBA-999E-1DD9071DCCE4.jpeg
    702.2 KB · Views: 2

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Crusty - That’s a monster pout! They are quite fun to catch when you get them a couple pounds plus, well that’s until they open the bomb doors down your arm haha

crusty

Crusty - That’s a monster pout! They are quite fun to catch when you get them a couple pounds plus, well that’s until they open the bomb doors down your arm haha

The skipper said he thought it could be a record, but the only scales on board weighed in half lb's and it was over 5lb. Unfortunately we only got to weigh it properly 24 hours later.

Ian

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
In terms of specific fish I actually tend to remember some of my grandads catches more than mine given that he’s my regular fishing partner, doesn’t half make his his day when he gets a good un. His first river Tench out of the Thames last month will stay with me as will the few 5-6lb Bream he’s had from it this year, as will a lure caught Permit he had in Florida a couple years ago. Probably most memorable were two big perch he had out the Thames he had a few years ago. I’d been telling him about some decent ones me and me cousin had been having on live baits so he tried it and had the two beauties below. Can’t be many better looking fish than big perch from clear water.

Attachments

• 206DCA69-AD8D-4A76-BC74-665FC17151B2.jpeg
    206DCA69-AD8D-4A76-BC74-665FC17151B2.jpeg
    681.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 05D078AB-0C47-4B8D-9345-23B814FE2D49.jpeg
    05D078AB-0C47-4B8D-9345-23B814FE2D49.jpeg
    742.5 KB · Views: 7