Best fish you've caught

Zerkalo

Every now and again we catch a fish that's special in some way.

I'm not a specimen fisherman and so my biggest carp is 22lb, caught on a pole, however, not being that into big carp I'm always hoping that I'll catch a specimen of a different species, be it a 2lb+ Roach, 3lb+ Perch or 8lb+ Bream. So far my biggest roach is probably only 12oz, nothing noteworthy, and I had a nice 6lb Bream from a Weir Pool which was a nice surprise.

If I had to choose one fish that stood out in my memory for being the best to catch it would be a bang on 9lb Tench caught about 15 years ago from Blythe Waters - Willow Pool. This is not a pool reknowned for Tench in any way and when I caught it, it had recently been restocked with a load of 3oz carp which you could catch by the bucketload and so I was only fishing a no8 elastic. I hit into a lump and out comes said elastic, playing this fish for about 10 minutes before it comes to the surface and it's a bloody massive Tench. No photos unfortunately as I think it was before the days of phones with cameras, but my mate at the time was there to witness it.

Tench are one of my favourite species and so to catch such a lump was something special. I know of nowhere I could go to fish where another Tench of that size would realistically be on the cards.

So what is the your favourite fish you have caught?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Not the biggest fish Ive caught but, a 6lb grass carp. Only had the one. Not seen another since. A strange looking parrot faced fish that was. A 24.5lb carp and a 14.11oz Barbel in the same session on the Trent amongst numerous other 6 - 10lb Barbel. What a red letter day that was.

Zerkalo

Not the biggest fish Ive caught but, a 6lb grass carp. Only had the one. Not seen another since. A strange looking parrot faced fish that was. A 24.5lb carp and a 14.11oz Barbel in the same session on the Trent amongst numerous other 6 - 10lb Barbel. What a red letter day that was.

Never caught a river barbel, but have moved house near the Severn so plan to change that very soon.

I used to fish a private lake at the Cadbury factory that was part of the Bourneville Estate set up by the Quakers. Only about 2 foot deep as it was losing a lot of water last time I checked but absolutely stuffed full of 'wild/grass carp'. I presume they were one of the two, as very long and thin, and probably been in there since the lake was dug. Had loads around the 5lb mark and they fought like nothing else I've caught. Probably about 3 foot long.

Also had a 15lb bright orange Koi from Lavender Hall that I mugged down the edge. Saw it move in a big circle down right down to under my feet. Dropped at margin kit on its head and sure enough, hooked and landed.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Whilst on holiday in Fuengarola in Spain we went out on a four hour boat trip. We were fishing over a wreck and everyone was pulling in fish around a pound. Don’t know what they were but we ended up with loads of them. All of a sudden I hit something absolutely solid. At first I thought I was hooked on the bottom but I was eventually able to very slowly pull it up. It was in fact a 23kg conger eel (over 50lb). When we finally got it on the deck it was huge. It was at least 5ft long and very fat. I wanted to throw it back but the skipper, who was a bit of a numpty, jumped on it and cut its head off. It is by far the biggest fish I’ve ever caught and one of the most memorable. The skipper said it was the biggest he’d seen for years.

feldri

Site Supporter
Fishing an old lake that used to be a clay pit last August. On the feeder pulling skimmers out and suddenly got a bite, struck and everything went solid. Thought I'd hooked the old rail line that's supposed to be in a trench 16' deep. Nothing budged for a couple of minutes so I eased off and let a bit of line out. Sure enough the tip went round again and finally I started to gain some line. When it surfaced it looked like one of those plates that restaurants put a big joint of beef on ready to cut. Folded it into my pan net and then weighed it. 9lb 2oz bream. Biggest I've ever caught and a record for the lake according to the bailiff. My hands were still shaking a half hour later. Had a few around 5-6lb since but never had that one again. Still trying though.:)

smiffy

Site Supporter
Being a matchangler for many years limited my scope for catching outstanding specimens. 7.12oz Bream from the Yare,6.4oz Tench from a local stillwater. Nothing to really write home about.
My biggest Roach is my fish that stands out because it was from a tiny local river and that is 1.14oz.
Since I’ve stopped matchfishing I’ve had several 9lb plus Bream,many earlier this year and several Chub over 5lb last winter on the river. The Bream are nice because they are immaculate and look like they’ve got plenty of scope to get bigger.
Nothing amazing other than those I’m afraid. My biggest Carp is only 16.15oz.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
My best, but not the biggest, was a 9lb Barbel. It was my very first one and I wasn't expecting the fight it gave me. I was with my dad and he sat there laughing while I tried to get the thing in the net. My dad had to help net it, I was 10 years old at the time.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
The perch in my profile picture. Witnessed by a club bailiff and a member on this forum, 4lb 1oz, won me a years club subscription as best specimen of the year and I believe the club record.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
best coarse fish is a 21lb pike caught over 20 years ago from local reservoir my biggest fish ever is a 33lb tope when boat fishing 2 years ago from north wales area two of us got bite at same time lines got tangled together so we thought we both got same fish so let my line go slack got one tope in tightened my line only to find had second tope on my rod first ever tope as well

Arch

Site Supporter
I caught a 1lb 15oz Roach from the tiny river Mease in Leicestershire. Straight lead, single red maggot. My 12' rod touched the other bank, the river is that narrow.

Sadly, it's overgrown, clear and very shallow nowadays. Unfishable bar for a few swims.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Best as in fondest memory of: Barbel 14-12 PB wise, but my first one at 2lb had me buzzing for a week. Common Carp 18-8, not my biggest carp, but a lovely light coloured common.

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
'spose it depends on how we define "caught."
Fly fishing my local fly only lough last week, I was drifting the boat in a stiff breeze through the Narrows. (Narrow bit about 150 metres long and 50/40 metres broad between the two large open areas of the lough. I was retrieving a large coloured fly lure when it snagged something near the reeds: or so I thought.......until it very slowly started to move! I'd about 25 metres of sinking fly line out to a 10 ft@6lbs cast

Dusty

I've got quite a few for different reasons.

Barbel - I caught a 6lb Barbel from a very small river local to me, the river in question is not known for Barbel at all, in fact I only fished this particular stretch for Barbel based on some hearsay from a relative. I fished the stretch one evening and within 20 minutes had a 6lb Barbel on the bank. I couldn't believe it.

Bream - My 6.5lb bream PB will always be a fond memory of mine as I was only around 15 when I caught it. Me and a friend had put a lot of hours into a small lake on a caravan site that we knew contained some cracking fish, we both had Bream over 6lb on a morning feeder session, one of the best days fishing I have ever had!

Perch - I caught a 2lb 7oz Perch whilst fishing for Tench on the waggler, it took double corn on a size 12 hook. Had blanked all day and this was on the "last cast".

Last edited:

Zerkalo

My avatar is a 17lb mirror caught from Kingsnordley. Nothing special really but put up a good fight on a 12 elastic.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Ive had some great tussles mate with Double figure Carp on Double 8 elastic ;)