Best cereal

62tucker

Site Supporter
I have always been a breakfast cereal man. You name it I have probably had it over my 57 years. In the last year I have had 2 weetabix and cup of tea every morning.
2 weeks ago my mate had a bit of a health scare. Blood pressure high. Liver not right , bordering diabetic, high cholesterol. So he been told. He need to sort his life out or be dead young off these issues. No drink for a month. Apart for a couple on xmas day and new year if he wants. And back for more blood tests in a month.
So I am joining him in a bit of a competition to lose weight. I was 16 stone 7 pound on Monday and have booked myself in for a man check at doctors on 27th.
Back to question. What’s best cereal to have for my breakfast. To give me enough energy for the day without going hungry.
Today I had bottle of water as soon as I got up, and only had 1 weetabix as thought I could keep other 1 for if I get hungry throughout the day.
Also I don’t work so in or around my fridge most of the day.
Started walking without dog. I been checking speed. With dog 23 mins a mile. Without 18 mins a mile. Doing 3 miles atm.
Any advice for any of the above would be greatly excepted ??

62tucker

Site Supporter
Not sure of the health benefits but I do like Muesli. I can eat it without sugar whereas Weetabix I put some sugar on. Think most other cereal is loaded with sugar.
And salt I been told

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Sorry it's got to be bacon and egg and tomato not forgetting the mushrooms. ??? that will keep you going longer than any cereal.

...and brown sauce, can't forget that.

Wifey has corn flakes with some sliced banana on top.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
The Best is something that has been processed as little as possible and thus contains plenty of complex carbohydrates*. Simple porridge oats fits the bill, obviously with no sugar. Porridge is just milled oats, nothing added or taken away and minimal processing. Don't opt for the "instant" stuff as an easy option. Too much processing and too much removed.

When distance running this was my breakfast of choice.

*"Complex carbohydrates, found in whole grains, legumes, and starchy vegetables, contain longer chains of sugar molecules, which usually take more time for the body to break down and use. This in turn provides you with a more consistent amount of energy"

Zerkalo

My mum has blood pressure problems and so eats porridge oats every morning so must be something to it.

Backwoodsman

Site Supporter
Porridge with a banana. The porridge is good for your cholesterol and the banana contains fibre and other components that lower your blood pressure.
i also put on a small spoon of honey.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Porridge with some dried apricots. Takes two minutes in the microwave and will keep you going longer than any cereal.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
another for porridge too

though i do like a spoon of raw cane sugar and a tad of evap milk on it

baboboy

Site Supporter
I make a home made protein shake everyday. Almond Milk, Fruit, Banana, Peanut Butter, and a flavoured Protein Powder.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
When I want to lose a little I have the bacon, sausage egg breakfast and cut out bread (believe the principles of atkins diet). This sees me through until evening meal time. Seems to work for me but we are all different

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
little changes make the biggest differencees.... cut out sugar in tea, have lactose free skimmed milk in your tea/cereal, cut out bread and spuds where you can, eat more fruit and veg... if like me yer a biccy nosher, cut em out or drastically cut back... take up Pilates and/or Aquafit once a week... since making these changes I have gone from 14 stone 8lb to 13 stone even and I feel so much better in meself, the missus has noted that the "Verandah over me Toyshop" has gone down

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Almost a keto lifestyle then arry. Thats what I'm doing, lost over 2 stone and 10" off the waist. Now a 36" waist, aint been this small in 30 years.?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Almost a keto lifestyle then arry. Thats what I'm doing, lost over 2 stone and 10" off the waist. Now a 36" waist, aint been this small in 30 years.?
Not a Keto diet really, just cutting down on the carbs, not cutting them out altogether... I love me spuds... Roasties and Chips.... mmmmmmmmmm
trying to eat more veg and exercise more now I'm retired... the upside of the changes is my cholesterol has dropped quite markedly