Best cage feeder set up.

ev4dawin

Heyy all, hope you are all doing mighty fine, I just wanted to ask; what is the best cage feeder set up for slow moving rivers. I'm fishing the River Ouse on the edge of Ely in a month, so after talking to @Flathead about spots and what swims in the river, I've opted to try the cage feeder. Anyone got any rigs for this type of fishing? Cheers.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I keep it simple, just thread the cage feeder swivel onto the main line, usually a drennan round wire feeder, 3, 4, 5 hole depending on circumstance, add a drennan feeder bead by using a loop on the end of the mainline, then connect the hook and hooklength of choice by another loop to the bead

far less to catch up on snags, easy to switch hooks and feeders size's-lengths around if required

and is quite a direct rig for good bite indication

there is no best rig, it all depends on the day, but this one should be a good starting point

ev4dawin

I keep it simple, just thread the cage feeder swivel onto the main line, usually a drennan round wire feeder, 3, 4, 5 hole depending on circumstance, add a drennan feeder bead by using a loop on the end of the mainline, then connect the hook and hooklength of choice by another loop to the bead

far less to catch up on snags, easy to switch hooks and feeders size's-lengths around if required

and is quite a direct rig for good bite indication

there is no best rig, it all depends on the day, but this one should be a good starting point
Are the beads you use like these ones in the picture?

Attachments

• D99E543F-3CA4-4E35-B33D-7DB9F1CC9DE2.png
    D99E543F-3CA4-4E35-B33D-7DB9F1CC9DE2.png
    571 KB · Views: 11

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I wouldn't limit yourself to the cage feeder. Maggot feeder could be worth a look as well. That said my plan A on such a river mid summer would always be the float, probably waggler there given it won't be flowing much although stick might be required to fish a suitable bulk to get through the bleak on some baits as they can be a nuisance on the Ouse up here so I wouldn't be surprised if they can be down there as well.

ev4dawin

I wouldn't limit yourself to the cage feeder. Maggot feeder could be worth a look as well. That said my plan A on such a river mid summer would always be the float, probably waggler there given it won't be flowing much although stick might be required to fish a suitable bulk to get through the bleak on some baits as they can be a nuisance on the Ouse up here so I wouldn't be surprised if they can be down there as well.
Ahh ok, I actually have a small bit of experience with maggot feeder fishing, it was the tactic I first used when I first fished without an adult around me. I fished a match lake with it in the winter and had a few f1s and a few 2-3lb carp. I have also fished the waggler before but again I don’t have a lot of experience. What float would you recommend for slow moving rivers?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I have also fished the waggler before but again I don’t have a lot of experience. What float would you recommend for slow moving rivers?
On a slow river it's not really any different tackle wise to a Stillwater. Loaded crystal insert wagglers are my preference with the size dictated by how far you need to cast and how much flow and wind you've got to contend with. There's quite a few good river waggler fishing videos on YouTube worth a look, two off the top of my head are one of Alan scotthorne on the Trent and one of mark pollard actually on the Ouse but a little further up around Bedfordshire I think. The Avon angling uk channel has a few river waggler videos as well. It's fairly simple stuff really but would give you a starting point 👍🏻