Best Braid to buy??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to buy some 10lb braid for some big water specimen bream fishing i am doing later in the year. Can anyone suggest the best type to go for as this braid stuff is all new to me

Thanks

Gaz

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
Sorry Gaz, don`t use braid, but welcome to the site!
The other MD`s will help you I`m sure.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I love powerpro for my predator fishing but prefer to use berkley iron silk in the lower double breaking strains when i'm not after preds

getfishing

Pete
Berkley Fireline is top stuff, I've had some big fish on the 8lb, it breaks way over the stated breaking strain.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Another vote for the Fireline here[:D]

One thing to beware of though - Fireline has a slightly flattened cross-section so, when new, does have a tendency to float. Once you've used it for a couple of sessions though it roughens up a little and sinks fine.

It also lasts a long, long time - I've had a spool of 6lb Fireline on my reel for about five years now and I've got no reason to change it in the near future.

Simon

Brute1981

Nash Bullet

Not especially great for casting but strong and sinks like a stone.

Last edited:

johnychacha

for distance bream work , i've always used and had no problems at all , fire line , excellent stuff . spool loaded up with 6lb and then a 10lb shock leader

s444mjt

fireline mate but use it takes a while to bed in at first it is a little stiff but once it has been used a bit its great stuff.

bluntbaby

Another Fireline vote from me. Good stuff, and I dont get the tangles that my mate gets on Whiplash.

Thanks for all the replies they have helped loads... now the next query I have is with regards to shock leaders.... do I need one or will a normal mono hooklength do? Sorry to be a pain but I am all new to this braid stuff...

bream dream

up the Villa.
i tend to use a leader,the same length as the rod if using 8lb braid i use a 6lb leader,daiwa sensor is ideal,but a leader is not a neccesaty i use one out of habbit,most modern rods are capable of tacking the punishment of the cast and hitting the clip so i think it's personal preferance.

cess monkey

I use about 18ft of maxima as a shock leader in 6 or 8lb,bs depending on the fish i`m after.

[:)]FIRELINE[:)]
A little on the stiff side when new.
Once it has been used a few times and softens up its good.

0lly

Sorry to sidetrack the thread alittle but are there any special requirements when using braid other than the shockleader? Does braid damage rod rings and do you need any protective stuff on your hands when using braid?

gazza1967

Not sure why you want braid for only 10lb surely mono would be better. I only use braid if im looking for catfish, i use a length of shrink tube before my hooklength to minimise any potential damage to the fish, it can do a lot of damage when it slices the fish up in a snag.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I suppose it's possible that braid might damage unlined rings (although the one rod I have with unlined rings has never shown any sign of damage) but it certainly won't cause any problems with modern lined ones.

Not sure what you mean about protection of the hands - the only thing I do differently with braid is I'll wrap a towel around my hands if I have to pull for a break.

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.