Best Boilies For Silvers?

hunter

I need some advice concerning Boilies, a subject about which I know nothing. I usually Lake fish for Silvers, only very rarely for Carp when nothing else is feeding. Some of the Carp Anglers where I fish complain about catching large Bream when fishing with Boilies. I've even heard of large Roach taking Boilies. Any suggestions about size, type, flavour etc of Boilies for Silvers will be greatefully accepted. Would 10 mm. be about right for Bream? What unexpected fish have taken your Boilies?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I have caught plenty of Bream on 10 and 12mm, mainly the fruity flavours. I've also caught them on wafters.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Every match angler knows it’s white chocolate boilies for Bream;). 10mm is fine. Roach on boilies will be a complete fluke and not worth worrying about. Ask a Carp angler what flavour boilies he catches Roach on and his answer will begin with “I once had”
I fish several big Carp dominated waters for Bream and find worm still takes some beating. Come Autumn I will be targeting Roach with flake on the same lakes.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Never used a boilie but have heard of people deliberately targeting roach on small white ones

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Everything is dependent on the fishery in question. What the fish like on one water may well be totally different on another. Whatever the species targetted, there's never a magic bullet boilie flavour. As far as big roach are concerned, 10 and 12mm should do the trick, depending on just how big they go. I know for a fact that there are big roach anglers out there that are fishing with boilies in an attempt to filter out the larger fish. On the right day it can work a treat. For bream, I'd be more tempted to use pellets and fishmeal based boilies. However, your best bet is to ask the carpers what they avoid using because they get pestered by bream.

Lcn

When I was carping i used to catch bream on 15mm cell , hybrid or activ8 boilies and 12-15mm raspberry ripple and Indian spice pop ups . They were an absolute pain at times but only when I fed with pellet in pva bags . My last few seasons of carping I stopped using pellet altogether and fed heavily with nothing but boilies and only caught 2 or 3 bream in 2 seasons but my mates who carried on feeding pellet were still being pestered by them . Never caught roach on boilies but I once briefly tried Manila dumbells on the ribble for barbel and was getting pestered by dace within seconds of casting out , got some nice ones aswell before I went back to my usual hybrid

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Never caught a Roach on boilie but they have a real liking for Sonubaits Spicy Sausage O's and Oozing pellets.

jay67

Site Supporter
caught quite a few slabs on commercials using white dumbells . no particular flavour - they just liked white ones

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
No idea but matches are being won on a Bream lake near me on boilies.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
All depends on what gets chucked in the most on normal boilies but small wafters fished on the method will catch bream or even fake corn.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I use small dumbells on the method and I get tons of roach and bream on them... if you are purposely targetting the larger bream then 10/12mm is spot on

foster82

I have done well with dumbells for both roach and bream. I have caught more bream on yellow pineapple flavour 8mm and Roach on 8mm white chocolate.