Best banded hook lengths ???

Brythebagger

Site Supporter
I had some Preston 4” ones in use today ...I swore I’d never buy them again after the hooks were pulled from the line......I did buy more and the same bloody thing happened today probably costing me 30lb.
Not happy
Any recommendations ? The Drennan ones seem ok but the bands seem to get pulled off the loop too easily

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Hmm...interesting. I very rarely buy pre-tied hooklengths but the other week because of time restraints, I bought some Preston ones (not banded). Hook pulled off the line twice & they weren't big fish. Made me resolve never to bother again. It's happened with Drennan Carp Bandits & now the Preston ones. I'll stick to tying my own in future.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’ve used Guru ones for a few years now and never had any problems with them.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I tie my own, it's simple once you've got the hang of it

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
I've started giving mine a test now before use. I have 2 round metal pins, one goes through the loop and one inside the bend of the hook and give them a good pull to make sure not going to break too easy.

I'm a big oaf and sometimes don't know my own strength but never managed to break any yet.

Dusty

Guru without a shadow of a doubt, I’ve never had one fail on me and have had numerous double figure carp on them.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Why not learn how to tie them yourself ? They are easy enough to do and you can then vary the length of line to the band for differing pellet sizes. My advice would be to tie the band inside a loop rather than directly as tying directly will cause the band to break prematurely.

alsur

Site Supporter
I've use Preston and Guru and find them OK although the band on Preston one don't last long. I've alway tied my own hooks but find it a pain now and the only reason I can find to tie them now is the flexibility of hook size to breaking strain.

richox12

How can a hook pull off ? If they are tied & whipped correctly with the 'No-Knot' the only way the hook can 'come off' is for the hair to pass itself back through the eye band and all. Unless there is a huge gap in the eye and the line was whipped starting at that gap. So you'd be left with a perfectly intact hooklength complete with band but just no hook.

Don't you mean the line broke at the eye ?? Came back with no band and no hook just a broken hooklength ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
If a hook comes off, either eyed or spade, then it's not tied correctly, another reason why I tie my own,

Last edited:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Guru for me... the days of tying my own hooklinks are long gone... eyesight and arthritis being the culprits

Brythebagger

Site Supporter
How can a hook pull off ? If they are tied & whipped correctly with the 'No-Knot' the only way the hook can 'come off' is for the hair to pass itself back through the eye band and all. Unless there is a huge gap in the eye and the line was whipped starting at that gap. So you'd be left with a perfectly intact hooklength complete with band but just no hook.

Don't you mean the line broke at the eye ?? Came back with no band and no hook just a broken hooklength ?

Hooklength comes back with a curly bit of line on the end. Some times it’s just the band that snaps on the Preston ones but then it’s no good for hard pellet ??‍♂️

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Some times it’s just the band that snaps on the Preston ones but then it’s no good for hard pellet ??‍♂️

You could put a band on the pellet, then put the hook through the band, or use soft hookers for the hook and hard pellet for feed.

Brythebagger

Site Supporter
They didn’t seem to want soft expanders on the day. We’re taking the hard 8mm well.
I don’t think you hook as many cleanly when you hook the band itself

ukzero1

Site Supporter
They didn’t seem to want soft expanders on the day. We’re taking the hard 8mm well.
I don’t think you hook as many cleanly when you hook the band itself

Quite true, but by the time you've changed hook lengths, you could be fishing again in seconds. Or give these a go. I usually band up 5 or 6 when I'm on the bank using these.

1569833122595.png

Last edited: