Best 16 metre commercial pole recommendations for under £3 k

baggy

Mark Saunders
I had a tourney for 5 years, it’s a great pole but I upgraded last year and got an airity. I also kept my tourney has a spare so if I break section I have spare ready to go. It also means I have 7 top 4s and 23 top kits

pedro1098

i have had map 901 original , 2g & now 3g,
i have up graded at the right times to get best deal etc, i can fish them at 17.5m , the package is very good, i can not recommend the 901 range enough ,

baggy

Mark Saunders
Can't you just buy a higher spec Daiwa pole as 'Pole Only' as you already have all the kits you need. Then the higher spec will be stiffer and not so flexible and....not cost £3K
That’s also a good option

Fishfinderuk

You're going to get a thousand different answers. £3000 is a great budget. You could get whatever you want new or second hand. Get to a pole alley as soon as lockdown allows.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
That’s also a good option
Air or air z ,pole only , 2 members in my club have them . If not the 980.is some pole , many others to choose from but all those topkits it would be the air for me

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
I wouldn’t buy either of those poles I’d buy a Maver Superlithium 👍👍
Chefster Maver have made some lovely poles over the years, however fishing in the South West where big weights and large carp are the norm, I'd probably look no further than Daiwa or the Browning Sphere. However if I lived further up north where it's more F1 fishing and occasional doubles Maver would be high on the list.

I do tend to get the impression pole popularity is heavily influenced by region and who's using what. Nobody down here used browning poles until Trig got one and started singing the poles praises as most down here are Daiwa or Preston die hards. It'll be interesting to see Chris's Sphere and have a play with it on the bank when we get back out. If it serves him as well as his Daiwas he'll be very happy with it.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Chefster Maver have made some lovely poles over the years, however fishing in the South West where big weights and large carp are the norm, I'd probably look no further than Daiwa or the Browning Sphere. However if I lived further up north where it's more F1 fishing and occasional doubles Maver would be high on the list.

I do tend to get the impression pole popularity is heavily influenced by region and who's using what. Nobody down here used browning poles until Trig got one and started singing the poles praises as most down here are Daiwa or Preston die hards. It'll be interesting to see Chris's Sphere and have a play with it on the bank when we get back out. If it serves him as well as his Daiwas he'll be very happy with it.
I didn’t think the Sphere was geared towards big carp venues? Plus Callum lives down that way and fishes all those venues, and he said the Maver is more than capable 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

robert d

Site Supporter
I didn’t think the Sphere was geared towards big carp venues? Plus Callum lives down that way and fishes all those venues, and he said the Maver is more than capable 🤷‍♂️
Thats my concern with the sphere ,strength ,we will see , number 11 elastic and 2 hours to land a double lol

robert d

Site Supporter
I fished next to Callum at Lindholme top fisherman ,he liked my jaffa cakes ,showed me a good f1 rig . He had 160 odd pound that day , winner had around 187 or so .

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Thats my concern with the sphere ,strength ,we will see , number 11 elastic and 2 hours to land a double lol
All taken on the Sphere in the Viaduct Festival by Trig including 5 fish for 100lbs off Carey lake, while also drawing 2 corner pegs. From what I've heard he hasn't broken it yet and when he's on fish he's hard to beat as he doesn't hold back. In another match he drew peg 111 on Campbell lake opposite me and weighed a high 200 odd lbs taking most fish down the side long and it's not a peg for the faint hearted. If Chris has bought one I would imagine it's up to it however time will tell.

robert d

Site Supporter
If im honest all of these top.poles arent geared towards big carp, they are capable in the right hands , they are made to be light ,straight ,responsive and handle everyday commercial fish ,thats what they are designed for . Your maver ,map , browning ect can and do handle them but for venues with out and out monsters a tuffer pole is the answere .

robert d

Site Supporter
All taken on the Sphere in the Viaduct Festival by Trig including 5 fish for 100lbs off Carey lake, while also drawing 2 corner pegs. From what I've heard he hasn't broken it yet and when he's on fish he's hard to beat as he doesn't hold back. In another match he drew peg 111 on Campbell lake opposite me and weighed a high 200 odd lbs taking most fish down the side long and it's not a peg for the faint hearted. If Chris has bought one I would imagine it's up to it however time will tell.

Wow that makes me feel a lot more secure, thank you 😊

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Wow that makes me feel a lot more secure, thank you 😊
Robert, like you have rightly said a lot is to do with the angler. I used a Maver N57 going back a good number of years to win one match off a point where the fish were going around a corner with purple hydro. Halfway through the match I changed to the dedicated Carp elite which was interchangeable as I lost my bottle however I had a lot of big weights and big fish shallow and didn't break it but sold it later because it gave the impression that it was and accident waiting to happen.

Modern poles are better. I haven't used the Sphere but have used the MAP 901 which I was very confident in yet I've heard stories from other anglers who've sold them because of the problems they've had. I've seen more Daiwas break than any other pole however that's because they are more popular than anything else.

A lot is down to perception however a lot of poles break simply because people either damage them or try to make them do something they weren't designed to do.

robert d

Site Supporter
Robert, like you have rightly said a lot is to do with the angler. I used a Maver N57 going back a good number of years to win one match off a point where the fish were going around a corner with purple hydro. Halfway through the match I changed to the dedicated Carp elite which was interchangeable as I lost my bottle however I had a lot of big weights and big fish shallow and didn't break it but sold it later because it gave the impression that it was and accident waiting to happen.

Modern poles are better. I haven't used the Sphere but have used the MAP 901 which I was very confident in yet I've heard stories from other anglers who've sold them because of the problems they've had. I've seen more Daiwas break than any other pole however that's because they are more popular than anything else.

A lot is down to perception however a lot of poles break simply because people either damage them or try to make them do something they weren't designed to do.
Yes forcing lumps and trying to land them to quick and to strong an elastic . And not taking care in general