Best 10ft carp bomb rod

Smithy231218

What would you all recommend as the best 10ft carp bomb rod, capable of landing lumps not so much F1s?
Been recommended the browning sphere power bomb rod.
Money not an issue.
Also a suitable reel to match.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Preston Supera would be my recommendation but, there are so many good rods out there it’s hard to choose. Personally I like the old version 10’ mini carp for bomb and hybrid fishing but, that’s just me. Reel wise I suppose you’d have to consider the 2500 / 3000 range. I like Shimano but, there’s a lot of forum members favour Cadence. Your choice pal. 🤷‍♂️

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Daiwa Yank n Bank 10ft method.

Comes with 3 tips and a padded sleeve, and can get spare tips for it down to 0.5oz. Serious amount of rod for the money, and it's a bit stiffer / more powerful than most 10ft tip rods so ideal for lumps.

Had my 17lb PB on this rod without issue.

Reel wise i'd pair it with something with at least a 50-54mm spool diameter, so Cadence 4000 / Daiwa 3012 sort of size.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
What would you all recommend as the best 10ft carp bomb rod, capable of landing lumps not so much F1s?
Money not an issue.
There is no such thing as best ,its personal ,how it feels to you ,browning,tricast,harrison,preston,and many more do some brilliant rods ,some cheaper models are excellent, I'd choose one with the best selection of tips .

Whisker

Site Supporter
As said, what’s best is best for you.

I started with a 10’ Avanti rod that came with 3 tips and a holdall. Cost me £20 from one of Mr. Surgays fairs and served me well for a few years before I gave it to a kids club.

My 2 x 11’ Maver Abyss are great rods for the money so you don’t have to spend a fortune (I’ve read too many NotN posts! 😝)

I am considering buying a 12’ feeder for those longer chucks and I’m also thinking along the same lines as Mike A - Supera or Matrix Horizon. A 4000 reel to go with it I still can’t decide on... prolly Shimano or Daiwa, maybe Matrix...

As with rods, we’re very spoilt for choice but there’s lots of information out there so I’ve already got a good idea. When the shops open up again I’ll go and have closer look and choose what I think is best for me... not what someone else says is best for them.

nejohn

Site Supporter
My rod of choice for that type of fishing is the Tri-cast short method rod it deals with everything from silvers up to double figure carp with no problems at all, it may feel very lightweight but don't be fooled there is lots of power hidden down the blank

Philnun87

I have just brought a map parabolix black edition feeder which tbf feels lovely. They do a SUV (stepped up version) which is heavier and looks good and might be worth a look?

In terms of reel, personally (as people have said this is just my opinion) you can’t get better than a Daiwa TDR for feeder fishing

Smithy231218

Great advice guys, much appreciated.
I suppose until the best way is to try.out in a tackle shop when the lockdown finishes.
Any further advice is welcome.

Pole-Fisher-90

Site Supporter
I still use the matrix carp master feeder rods .. personally think these are great rods and they break down nicely, I’ve got 6 as always on the look out for spares 👀

Marker50

Site Supporter
I use my normal supera when i,m after bigger lumps .
I prefer my supera sl though I can get the feeder to go in softer.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
As said, what’s best is best for you.

I started with a 10’ Avanti rod that came with 3 tips and a holdall. Cost me £20 from one of Mr. Surgays fairs and served me well for a few years before I gave it to a kids club.

My 2 x 11’ Maver Abyss are great rods for the money so you don’t have to spend a fortune (I’ve read too many NotN posts! 😝)

I am considering buying a 12’ feeder for those longer chucks and I’m also thinking along the same lines as Mike A - Supera or Matrix Horizon. A 4000 reel to go with it I still can’t decide on... prolly Shimano or Daiwa, maybe Matrix...

As with rods, we’re very spoilt for choice but there’s lots of information out there so I’ve already got a good idea. When the shops open up again I’ll go and have closer look and choose what I think is best for me... not what someone else says is best for them.
Get the supera 80gram rod,, it’s a fantastic bream/skimmer and roach rod, for upto 60 mtrs👍👍👍👍

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I have just brought a map parabolix black edition feeder which tbf feels lovely. They do a SUV (stepped up version) which is heavier and looks good and might be worth a look?

In terms of reel, personally (as people have said this is just my opinion) you can’t get better than a Daiwa TDR for feeder fishing
I’ve had the suv, wasn’t the best at casting or fish playing action, sold it on, it just wasn’t for me, the supera sis a far better rod, imho

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I use a 10ft carbonactive mini but if moneys no object I'm sure a few on here can recommend tricast, browning spheres, Daiwa tournament type rods with something like a Daiwa TDR 3012 would be awesome.

chris1967

Site Supporter
Money not an issue.
For lumps as you say and not f1’s I’d tak a look at a free spirit hi s 10ft carp feeder , I’ve got a 9ft version that are really nice rods soft but power up when needed

Philnun87

I’ve had the suv, wasn’t the best at casting or fish playing action, sold it on, it just wasn’t for me, the supera sis a far better rod, imho
Hi Mike,

what was it about the playing action / casting that you didn’t like?

only heard good things about the SUVs

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Hi Mike,

what was it about the playing action / casting that you didn’t like?

only heard good things about the SUVs
Hi mate, the suv wasn’t as crisp at casting, I had to punch it harder to reach the distance, than I did with my supera,, bearing in mind, I had both of them set up, next to each other as a comparison,, and yet, when I caught a fish on the suv, it was harder to gauge what size it was. The nobbly handle is an acquired taste as well, I don’t think it’s user friendly,, the smooth black duplon fitted on prestons and daiwa’s feels better, I sold it, and bought a 12ft shimano x7, which hasn’t been used yet, because of the lake I go to, is still shut😢

Philnun87

Hi mate, the suv wasn’t as crisp at casting, I had to punch it harder to reach the distance, than I did with my supera,, bearing in mind, I had both of them set up, next to each other as a comparison,, and yet, when I caught a fish on the suv, it was harder to gauge what size it was. The nobbly handle is an acquired taste as well, I don’t think it’s user friendly,, the smooth black duplon fitted on prestons and daiwa’s feels better, I sold it, and bought a 12ft shimano x7, which hasn’t been used yet, because of the lake I go to, is still shut😢
Fair enough, that makes sense. I have the normal Map Parabolix rod as I quite like a softer rod and not a power feeder, so fingers crossed that handles ok. The X7 looks like a lovely rod!

Fishfinderuk

Site Supporter
it all comes down to what budget you have,theres so many great rods out now.you can pick up a rod for less than £60 that feels great.