Bent hook hair rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Col7777

I recently bought a hair rig where the hook looked like it was bent slightly, if you hold the hook link and let it dangle, where it attaches to the hook, the hook seems to go off an angle it isn't inline with the hook link, I hope I've explained that right.

Any way I used it yesterday on a swing tip and was getting nothing then a guy came talking to me and my tip did a wrap around, it looked like a real good take, as I lifted the rod the tip straightened out, I didn't think it was a liner as the tip did a few back and forth motions before it went right round, but no fish.
I would have thought with a hair rig it should have hooked itself, so I was wondering if this type of hair rig is any good.

I do tie some of my own as well before anyone say it.

dusstii

the hook is set at that angle to aid self hooking when the fish tries to eject the hook. even so, sounds like your fish still managed to. it happens :)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I can't remember the last time I saw a swingtip.

If the rig was an eyed hook then it will always come off the line at an angle, the line should pass through from the (knotless) knot, through the eye from back of the hook to the front and then up to the loop making the hook point turn in towards the line.

Col7777

Oops! I said 'Swing Tip' and I meant Quiver tip sorry, I used to swig tip a while ago and changed, I just got used to saying it.

The rig was a bought one on it's own hook length, I asked another angler and he said it is fine, in fact he is trying to get his hair rigs to sit like that.

hempy

Alan
I always "reverse " my hooks as an aid to self hooking. This type of hook seems to have got lost in modern game.[:T]

Col7777

Well luckily I bumped in to Jeff Mowbury (The Legend) and he told me that it is called a KD rig, he shown me one he had made and it was the same.

jukebox1

When whipping the hook on do 3 turns then pull the hair out the way and continue 4 or 5 turns down the hook and pass back through the back of the eye. This causes the bait to sit 'aggresively' and aids in the hook being harder to eject. Similar to a mag aligner in the fact that it causes the hook to flip over and get a good hold.Both methods are good to use when fish are wary and used to being caught as they can mouth the bait and eject it but these methods go a way to stopping this happening.

getfishing

Pete
If using bigger baits then try the korda kurv shank with the KD rig, brilliant hooks, very very sharp and deadly. I feel mean casting the rig in because I know the fish will always get hookedlol[:D]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.