Benefits of Winter?

smiffy

Site Supporter
well, that's going to get me busy, it's quite a long river
No one said it was easy?. I think it’s about picking sections you know they live in and talking to other anglers. I’ve had quite a lot of winter Tench down the years but I can’t remember fishing for them. They’ve always been captured on chopped worm lines or hemp and caster lines when fishing for bonus fish in matches. My best winter catch, six Tench, came from a weir pool after I’d balled it for Bream. Maybe it’s better to hedge your bets and fish for other species in a way that doesn’t discount Tench?

Flathead

Site Supporter
No one said it was easy?. I think it’s about picking sections you know they live in and talking to other anglers. I’ve had quite a lot of winter Tench down the years but I can’t remember fishing for them. They’ve always been captured on chopped worm lines or hemp and caster lines when fishing for bonus fish in matches. My best winter catch, six Tench, came from a weir pool after I’d balled it for Bream. Maybe it’s better to hedge your bets and fish for other species in a way that doesn’t discount Tench?
That depends on the river....on the fens they are pretty widespread and can be fished for in most places.

Many match anglers target them specifically

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
I love EVERYTHING about winter, I love the cold, I love the cosy dark nights, Bonfire night, snow, Christmas, frosty mornings, people minding their own business and generally staying out of the way.

The swarm of people, like insects, scuttering around in the sweltering stuffy heat of summer, loitering just because it's so called "nice" outside, eww.
The only thing I like about summer is the thunderstorms.

First and foremost - I fish for predators, Perch, Chub, Trout, Pike... winter 'tis the season.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I don’t like that my Skeetex have no grip whatsoever on ice and snow. Luckily I travel light in the winter and can rely on my ruckbag to protect me as I land on my back.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I wouldn't wear them on the river, thermal socks over normal socks time for that. Luckily the commercials I fish are gravelled. I do wear a lot of layers but got my Daiwa jacket for this winter.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Being as I don't go fishing during the coldest months I take exception to being called a clown and I don't live under a rock. Putting a smiley at the end of a derogatory post does not make it funny. There are plenty of anglers like me who can't or don't fish in the cold because of medical reasons. :mad:
I think he he means the chav element that buy an argos starter set and use fishing as an excuse to drink/do drugs all day. I'm sure he didn't aim the comment at serious anglers forced indoors through health reasons mate.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
piggybacking this thread to ask - good winter fishing gloves?
None. Not if you match fish anyway. I might slip on a pair of latex gloves if its biting cold but most of the time just sit on my hands.
Carp anglers might have an answer though if thats your fishing style.