Benefits of Winter?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Now it’s getting cold what do you like about winter fishing or are you a fair weather angler?

1) Not as many people on the banks, can have a whole lake to yourself.
2) Don’t have to get up as early to get a decent peg on the Severn.

Previously it would have been this time of year we started fishing canals every week, less boat traffic, and out comes the bloodworm and joker, something I loved using. I miss fishing Fur and Feather matches although they were usually a difficult match, with more difficult matches on the canal all through January and February.

That being said, I will be ordering a pair of Skee-tex again for this year and do tend to wear a lot of layers to keep toasty on the bank.

Can expect Chub on my weir although I didn’t fish it much last winter due to being in almost permanent flood. Folk law has it that Carp will slow down, but with the advent of commercials I can still catch even on the coldest and shortest of days.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
None. None whatsoever......I hate winter with a passion

Yep I’d go with that. Cold, uncomfortable, harder to catch, bleak looking surroundings, shorter days, floods etc it’s really not got much going for it. I’d say quieter banks is the only benefit. Start of May through to end of November is proper fishing season for me.

Thankfully though we are only a day past the equinox that took us out of summer and into autumn so still got over a couple months before winters here!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
True it's only technically Autumn, but as soon as it starts getting cold and dark is near enough winter for me so it seems to be the longest portion of the year in terms of what I start fishing for. It's gone a bit chilly today which is probably why we've got two threads pop up on winter fishing at the same time lol.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Silver fishing. I love sitting on the bank bagging up on Silvers during the winter. Not sure why though.

Other than feeling more accomplished when catching, I don't see anymore benefits of fishing during the winter because I simply don't do well during the colder months.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Love it... my local rivers are clear of summer weed, less anglers about, (all the part timers stay indoors) chub and Perch are still biting, and I get whole lakes and river stretches to myself... whats not to like... wrap up warm, good brolly... toasty all day catch a few fish... job done

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Hardly any weed on the Middle Severn this summer, maybe the floods ripped it all out? I've only been fishing it recently for about a year but last year I recall seeing streamer weed all the way down. A local fishery runs Silvers matches but when I fish there on maggot I catch small Carp? :shrugs:

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I actually love Winter fishing. Nothing nicer than a cool day, wrapped up warm, catching fish, few/no boats on the canal. It somehow seems more of an achievement to have gone out when cold and still caught. I have posted this picture before but it typifies my almost ideal day.

Foxton Ice.jpg

And the result

HPIM1789.JPG

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I actually love Winter fishing. Nothing nicer than a cool day, wrapped up warm, catching fish, few/no boats on the canal. It somehow seems more of an achievement to have gone out when cold and still caught. I have posted this picture before but it typifies my almost ideal day.

View attachment 74003

And the result

View attachment 74004

Lots of nice Roach there by the look of it. When we used to fish on Birmingham Canals that would be a match winning weight by far as all we used to catch and fish for were mostly Gudgeon, of which there were plenty, but not much else other than Perch.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Around 50 fish as I recall. I did chose my spot, Foxton, knowing that I should catch there. Midweek and no one else fishing so not indicative of a match weight.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
For me the bait tray gets more complicated as I add maggot & pinkie to my corn and pellet.

As for drinks, I keep it simple. Hot water and a Bovril cube. No smelly flask and tea from a flask is awful.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My bait tray for winter commies is usually just over half a kilo of groundbait (lasts a day feeder fishing), half a pint of pinkies to mix in with the groundbait, half a fishery bag of micro pellets to mix in with the groundbait, and a pint of maggots for hookbait with a sprinkling of them sandwiched in the feeder. Couldn't get any simpler and catches me fish on my two main venues.

In summer when I fish commercials I'm usually on the cheap option of Corn and Pellets but winter is not much more expensive.

I might, might being the operative, fish Bloodworm and Joker on the canal once or twice this year but it would mean re-elasticating my pole.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Time to target the Silvers in commercials. As the carp slow down there's some superb silver fish sport to be had on most commercials. :upthumb:

That’s how I spend my closed season! Just a case of finding the less carpy ones and you can catch all silvers you could want in the comfort of April, May and June rather than the discomfort of December, January and February ?

Flathead

Site Supporter
Believe it or not.....winter is the time to target Tench on the fenland drains and rivers.

Also huge bags of roach to be caught in the well known winter hotspots....for some reason Roach tend to congregate in the same areas each winter, such as March or Ely town centres but also many others

Also the time for bread punch(y)