Belturbet in May

Status
Not open for further replies.

scales

Vinny
Hello to all MD's, great site really enjoy reading the postings esp.
Ziptrevs Irish adventure (very well written) and funny.But I wonder can anyone tell me what the fishing is likley to be like in the Belturbet area in mid May, Will be there with a gang of 5 fellow Liverpudlians, 3 Boltonians and 1 Cockney all looking to catch as much as poss. We are regulars to Ireland but not to Co.Cavan, I have heard it could be a Roach a chuck at that time of year but will we be able to find any Bream ?? Has anyone fish Rahan Point (I think thats what its called) on Lough Oughter.
Looking at the O.S map of the area it looks like a minefield of waters must be difficult deciding where to begin !! but I'm looking forward to discussing where to start over a couple of pints of the old black stuff !!!

Thanks everyone,
Scales.

martin.

Account Locked
hi scales
welcome aboard the mad MDs
I was over that area 2yrs ago in the 3rd week in may the spot i fished all week & gave me tench & bream nets to 100lb+ & i only fished till 1-00 each day.
go out of belturbot on towards cavan about 2to 3m out there is a road on right with a tractor sales/repair on corner of junction
turn down here about 1/2m down youl see a gravel layby on right ther were some good pegs here it is a wide basin on the river you can see some of the pegs about 20ft from layby.
where are you staying in belturbot

tight lines.
martin.

G

Scouse mate where are you? scales needs advice on Belturbet mate,
cya later Dave

Andy homer.gif

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Scales, welcome,

If you are pleased with Martins suggestion, them re-read my 2nd Irish post about the day it rained!
Those pics are from the swim Martin describes!, 'cos I took his advice and went there.
We had our best Bream from there, 1st Pike and are going to revisit in June, 'cos we were a little bit early fot the Tench.
Belturbet is only a few miles from Killashandra and forms atriangle with Cavan, so all I wrote about is less than 10 miles from Belturbet (and BallyConnel)
The Creamery stretch Toma refers to is IN Belturbet, just go and see Mcmahons Tackle shop, He's just over the Bridge from the Creamery, where you can fish from wooden walkways that lead to the Marina.
Although I prefer the Countryside LOL

Cheers
Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Scales,
Just remembered,
When the ex-pat Englishman came down to see us he told us this.
Go past the litle lay-by where we fished and within 1/2 a mile the road crosses the Erne by a bridge.
Just before the bridge is a deep hole, famous locally for being a Bream holding site!
He suggested that we returned , parked near the bridge and fished this side of it!
Well we learnt this thursday evening, so no time.
If you decide to try it, please let me know result as its on my June hit list!

Regards

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

scales

Vinny
Thanks for the replies Martin,Andy and Trev will take onboard all advice given and look forward to trying out the places that you have suggested.
Many thanks,
Scales.

vectradog

Hi Scales
Belturbet- Bakers Bridge is a definite directions to pegs are;Up river on right bank at the fence there are swims approx 12 feet deep.
Opposite in slacks at top of pool.Left bank downriver bream swims
swims above and below island.
Also lough Dooley just outside the town above the international fishing centre.
Martin- is the lake you are talking about Bun Lough?
Scales try the Diamond bar in Belturbet the black stuff is mutts nuts there,also say hello to Brian(from Dave Martin Tony from Cheltenham)
There is a good tackle shop in the centre of town and Brian at the Diamond has some pretty good info too.
We are going over to Gowna 18 May(not too far from Belturbet)plenty of easy access and good fishing water from what weve been told.
Might see you if going at same time.

Hope this has been of some use
Vectradog
Dave

martin.

Account Locked
hi vectradog dave
sorry cant remember the name of the lake but it but directions are
go down the main road past diamond ammusment arcade(on left)bear left at bottom follow lane past shaun fitzpatrics complex 1/2 way through the S bend there is a cut off on the left entrance gate to lake is just up there. sorry but im the sort of person that can go anywhere once and always remember directions but not the name of actual place.

tight lines.
martin.

scales

Vinny
Thanks for all that info Dave,We're also going there on the 18th May and the Diamond bar sounds like just the place we'll be heading for !!
(might just do a bit of fishin' as well...hee hee).

Cheers,
Scales.

scouse

'River Man'
HI M8
just read your forum, I have a map of all the waters
around belturbut if you want me to send it to you email me,
the lake by shauns complex is called Putiaghan big tench
in there,
lough oughter is lough rann, its about 10mile from belturbut head for killeshandra if you get lost ask were lough rann is, its on the far side of lough oughter the point you refer to is the part facing the castle, car park is right on lough, fished it last year plenty of bream
but dont keep fish in nets for more than 5 hours,,
if you want good roach fishing fish the stretch of the erne opposite
shauns walk down meadow, stick float you will get one a chuck
or go into shauns and hire a boat and go were you want on the erne
last year it was 20 a day hope this helps dave (scouse)

dave
scouse

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
quote:
HI M8
just read your forum, I have a map of all the waters
around belturbut if you want me to send it to you email me,
the lake by shauns complex is called Putiaghan big tench
in there,
lough oughter is lough rann, its about 10mile from belturbut head for killeshandra if you get lost ask were lough rann is, its on the far side of lough oughter the point you refer to is the part facing the castle, car park is right on lough, fished it last year plenty of bream
but dont keep fish in nets for more than 5 hours,,
if you want good roach fishing fish the stretch of the erne opposite
shauns walk down meadow, stick float you will get one a chuck
or go into shauns and hire a boat and go were you want on the erne
last year it was 20 a day hope this helps dave (scouse)

dave
scouse

G

First of all haydn.borthwick a big welcome to the wonderful world of maggotdrowners, have fun and enjoy.

Your post would you like some advise, directions for fishing in Belturbet?????..
Again welcome to the best and friendliest site

Andy

i'm going fishing

Dave Moore

Paste King
Scales

You will have a great time, plenty of water to fish, my party has been going to Belturbet for the last 4 years its superb...

You could do worse than look at Lough Oughter at Killykeen Forest Park the cut there is superb good for 40 - 60lbs, roach, skimmers, hybrids and rudd fish a chuck to stick float or pole/whip. Sandy Beach at Killykeen is good Bream venue but its a long chuck 60 -70 yds, also my favourite the Fox Holes again at Killykeen.

Also Derovoney is worth a look at this time of year.

Diamond Bar is excellent and also the Ducking Stool, I go on June 1st - 8th.

Whenever your out pre-baiting take the bomb rod, your looking for about 12ft of water (12 secs with a 1oz bomb)don't mean to teach grandma to suck eggs...

We did not find Bream at Rann Point but plenty of roach...

Have a good one, and put a post up when you get back...

DaveM

scales

Vinny
Thanks DaveM, The advice is much appreciated. I think I'll have to print this page cos theres as so many places to try and remember, but I'm sure that with some local advice added to all these we will be ok. I've booked with Anglers World to stay at Crosswater Cottages at Derryvony in early September so I hope its fishing ok then too !! Will be staying at Creeny Cottages by the Marina (anyone know it??) also with Anglers World from the 18th and cos of all the good advice given to us via Maggotdrowning.com just can't wait to get going.

Cheers mate,

Scales.

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
going to Belturbet 25th May 2002. Went last year.If you e-mailme :- haydn.borthwick@ntlworld.com I will tell you where to fish. When exactly are you going. I am new member and will willingly pass on all I learn`t last year. For example take a sidewinder with you it bcan get windy on some of the lochs and rivers.
haydn.

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
Toma thanks 4 the welcome.If you have any advice about Belturbet I would appreciate it. The only place we fished last year was where the ANNALEE JOINS THE ERNE NEAR butlers bridge.If you know anywhere better
especialy if a lake please let me know. If anyone else going 25th May for the week let us know and we can say hello.
haydn.

scouse

'River Man'
Hi Dave Moore
im off to belturbut on the first of june,
were are you fishing?, we leave from Liverpool at 8am
on seacat were are you leaving from?
If from Liverpool we could have a pint on board
i`ll be wearing my maggotdrowning T shirt plus cap so you cant miss me, hope we can meet, if not in belturbut
tightlines dave,
dave(scouse)

dave
scouse

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
scouce where are u staying in Belturbet. We stay at Ernside town houses with Anthony. Great bloke. We go week before u.We fish Butlers bridege where Annalee joins Erne. Farmer lets u drive right down 2 river. Good fishing also.

scouse

'River Man'
HI M8
thats were we are staying
1st of june till 8th any info would help i was in belturbut last year fished creamery stretch
and river erne by shauns complex
great roach fishing
tightlines
dave(scouse)

dave
scouse

Dave Moore

Paste King
Hi Scouse

Were on the Nightrider from Stranraer to Belfast, were staying at a little guest house on the road to Miltown, Dave and Rosie Yates place the Cornagrow...

You cannot mistake me the Big Guy with the shaved head, big and booming Yorkshire accent. We will be in the Ducking Stool most nights after we've fished and baited, we normally get into town for about 1000 - 1030...

Not decided where to fish yet, I'll take some advice a bit nearer the time, I'm hoping to fish one or two new venues this year, I'm very interested in the big tench venue someone mentioned...

See you there mate

DaveM

Status
Not open for further replies.