BELTURBET AREA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

splodger

It is only six days now before our Belturbet trip so i was wondering if there is anybody out there who can give me any information on what is fishing, what are water levels like, and any info on how to get to the places that are fishing.
In short HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPLODGER alcoholic2.gif

Mad Irish Angler

Hi splodger,my info on Belturbet is sketchy at best at the moment but you might try Lough Oughter,always a safe bet.Or if you dont mind travelling a few miles i know for sure that at the moment Drumlona Lake is fishing its head off at the moment its very accesable and a beautiful spot to boot,no need to even pre bait for Roach, Bream, Hybrids, and Perch,i will do my best to get you some info on Belturbet to morrow......watch this space! Tight Lines Buddy.

scales

Vinny
Hello Splodger, Are you on the Superseacat on Saturday from Liverpool ??
Can't remember which ferry you said you'd be on !!

Scales.

splodger

Cheers MAD!
I hope you can come up with something for us.

SCALES - yes we are on the superseacat on Sat. morning.
I'll be the fat guy at the bar (totally unmissable!)

Simon R

Site Supporter
Hiya Splodge

I agree with Mad, was at Drumlona a month ago, you might not get many bream but you'll have a bite a cast.

If you don't mind the drive, check out Ramor - we had a couple of brilliant days on there.

If Ireland's anything like what it was a month ago you won't need to battle for pegs - barely saw an English angler all week I was there.

Tight Lines

Simon

scales

Vinny
Hello Splodger, See you in the Seacat bar then.

P.S you can't miss me either...a 6'5" scouser!!

Cheers mate,

Scales.

splodger

SIMON R,
Where did you fish at ramor, was it at the roadside?
Also, i'm looking at my ordnance survey map and i cant find drumlona.
Is it below belturbet?
What species are we talking about? skimmers,hybrids,roach? and what would be the average bag for a days fishing?

SCALES,
8-15 in the bar, mate!

SPLODGER

Simon R

Site Supporter
Hiya Splodger

At Ramor we were bang opposite Virginia town - Scales gave me the directions, so you could just follow him icon_smile.gif
Although to be honest I don't think we were in the right place - I think we should have been opposite the creamery (still got over 90lbs though)

Drumlona is near Cootehill (20 miles from Belturbet) - if you want directions let me know. As for what you'll catch, it'll probably be skimmers, hybrids and roach (and of course perch). You might get the odd bream but we've always had the best bream sport after pre-baiting.

Any more information about the Cootehill area you need, I'll try and help.

Tight Lines

Simon

splodger

Cheers Simon,
If you can give me the directions to Drumlona it would be helpful.
It sounds interesting!

SPLODGER

Simon R

Site Supporter
Hiya Splodger

OK - here goes for the directions - I'm not too sure about the first bit because I haven't driven it but if you head for Cavan from Belturbet and then take the R188 towards Cootehill (it is signposted from Cavan)

When you get into Cootehill, turn right at the t-junction (highly recommended pub straight in front of you (West End Bar) - if you should happen to pop in say hi to Sandra from Simon, Dave and the Middlesbrough lads) follow the road round to the left then along the main street. The road bends to the right at the White Horse Hotel, then goes past the school and a Texaco garage. The road forks at another garage, stay on the main road (left) and go past the cattle market.

Roughly 1/2 a mile further on there's a turn off to the left(R190) which I think is signposted Ballybay. Continue along this road and you'll see Lough Lisnalong on your right and at the end of the lake is the Ducome Inn (another highly recommended boozericon_smile_wink.gif) Just past the pub is a turn off to the left, go up here, over the hill and down the other side. When you come to the bottom of the hill you can either go straight on under the old railway bridge (which will bring you out at Killyvaghan Lake - our best water for bream this year) or follow the road round to the right (under another railway bridge). Roughly a mile along this road is a grey house on the left, turn left here and follow the long winding track right to the end. Go through the first gate and into the car-park. It's 25yds to the water from here - best pegs are usually either side of the rocks at the bottom of the hill, or if you can't get in there fish to the right just before the reeds start.

You'll catch all day on the feeder and you can also catch on a 6m whip (you have to wade out a bit to get over the shelf) or on the waggler. I posted some photos on here last month (My Ireland Trip 2002 parts 1 and 2) which will give you an idea of where we were fishing. According to Mad the water-level has dropped about a foot since we were there so it should be a lot easier to fish.

If you want any more info let me know

Tight Lines

Simon

splodger

Cheers Simon for the instructions.

Were nearly ready now so all i caqn say is thanks to anyone who has provided me with any help and to scales - see you on the seacat!

Tight lines!

SPLODGER

scales

Vinny
Hello Splodger, Can't wait to get going. Just picked the van up and trying to get the missus to do my ironing !!!(no chance).A mate of mine has just come back from fishing Ramor and had bags up to 90lb over three days, he pitched a tent by the lake and stayed there with his two mates but he's not sure what part of Ramor it was as he's only been there once before, but the tackle shop in Belturbet said the fishing is still a bit patchy locally.I've checked the weather forecast for Co.Cavan next week and its looking ok with mostly cloudy 60 degrees and 5-8 mph winds.

See ya tommorrow,

Scales.

Status
Not open for further replies.