Beginners ponds - club waters and commercials

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Watched one of the latest Andy & Jamie videos - the species challenges - and they fished a pond / lake at Hampton Springs which was, as usual, hilarious.

The lads said that basically the water they were on had a bit of everything in it as any leftovers from stocking the main lakes ended up in there so it was full of little carp, F1’s, roach, rudd, dace, chub, tench, chub, gudgeon and who knows what else. They were bagging up bite a chuck on short pole tactics in the margins or out in front off maggot worm, corn and pellet.

It was simple, fun fishing and left me thinking that a lake like that on all commercials and maybe larger clubs for newbies and kids to get to learn on would be a massive bonus a simple rod & float setup would work as well as a short pole and keep newbies coming back over and over until they had the confidence to advance to the bigger or trickier waters.

I know there is a cost element to every water a venue has but one like this would surely be a big draw and make its money back time and again.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Tbh I would say every commercial bar a couple that I’ve ever fished has a lake or lakes that does or do (or does overall if they’re only one lake) fall into that category in terms of being pretty much a bite a chuck at least once the temperatures are in double figures. Was an exceptional number of species in that place winning ways went though!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When I was a kid we'd sometimes go to Woodlands View and half of the time I'd say to my dad, "Let's go on Woodlands Pool", some might know it, the small beginners and kids lake there. Having said that, I was in my Junior Club at the time and wouldn't write off a Junior Angler of a certain age as necessarily a beginner, it was still fun for a few fish back then, was good practise for the few times my club fished a commercial.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
It’s just having access to a water that delivers “instant” results because that is what youngsters need to keep their enthusiasm spark burning.

As they mature then they can begin to stretch themselves chasing down bigger or specific species developing the understanding that with such fishing come many challenges but knowing a fallback is there for those days when you may start to doubt your abillities or lose an element of the enjoyment for fishing.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It’s just having access to a water that delivers “instant” results because that is what youngsters need to keep their enthusiasm spark burning.

As they mature then they can begin to stretch themselves chasing down bigger or specific species developing the understanding that with such fishing come many challenges but knowing a fallback is there for those days when you may start to doubt your abillities or lose an element of the enjoyment for fishing.
If I'm right you have a young one, what you describe sounds a good place to learn skills at that age as they mature as you say, then when he's a teenager it could be like he's already learned to ride a bike so to speak. I already had basic skills and still liked to fish them!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I have a 6yr old and he’d thrive on a water like the one in the video but we’ve managed to get on enough “easy” waters that he’s comfortable with short pole, can’t quite cast yet but can strike a bite and bring a fish in to the net.

Hoping the bug will stay with him and particularly pleased we’ve discovered Monk Lakes as the extra facilities of proper toilets & cafe make a big difference to lasting out a day session.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When I was 6 I was still fishing with a toy rod and not catching anything. I was probably 12 when I joined a club and brain is like a sponge at that age.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Jacob started aged 4 on a family holiday to a cottage that had a very old established monastery lake in the next field & it was rammed with tiddlers but chunks lurked in there also.

It’s how I came back to fishing because my wife, having seen the lake in the holiday blurb, recommended I get some bits and go back to fishing as a way to blow off steam after tough times in work.

The next holiday venue was booked because it had a small lake which it turns out no one ever fished so was a doddle to catch on.

Now Jacob is confident on the lower free stretches of the river Medway but is uncomfortable with 8’-10’ at your feet as he likes a wander during a session and the paths are narrow as well as heavily used by walkers, joggers, cyclists and such. He is also comfortable on Neville Park winkling out carplets from the edges of the reedbeds bur still lacks the patience / attention span for feeder fishing.

To keep the desire going for fishing I need to ensure he keeps catching so finding easy venues with guaranteed bites is still a must and will be for a few years to come until he’s either a committed angler or has moved on to something else of his own choosing.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Within the Wellingborough waters we have two purpose dug ponds that have been maintained as mixed fisheries. The smaller "Donut" has 12 pegs and while it has carp in these are managed to be no more than 5lb. This means you can use lighter gear for both them and the silvers. Our coaches have regular sessions on there, not because catching is easy, they can have blank days, but because it is a comfortable set-up with easy access and safe flat platforms plus picnic tables for parents etc. to sit at. Normally a whip and maggot approach will get the youngsters catching something.

The larger 40 peg snake lake has carp to 10lb plus a host of silvers. Unfortunately people fixate on the carp and ignore the silvers which, to me is a shame. You can have some really good days fishing generally for anything with a carp as a bonus. I think the max sized carp should be lower than ten pounds so as to maintain the mixed fishery ethos and hopefully put off the instant carpers. We have much better waters for carp fishing with just as good access.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Within the Wellingborough waters we have two purpose dug ponds that have been maintained as mixed fisheries. The smaller "Donut" has 12 pegs and while it has carp in these are managed to be no more than 5lb. This means you can use lighter gear for both them and the silvers. Our coaches have regular sessions on there, not because catching is easy, they can have blank days, but because it is a comfortable set-up with easy access and safe flat platforms plus picnic tables for parents etc. to sit at. Normally a whip and maggot approach will get the youngsters catching something.

The larger 40 peg snake lake has carp to 10lb plus a host of silvers. Unfortunately people fixate on the carp and ignore the silvers which, to me is a shame. You can have some really good days fishing generally for anything with a carp as a bonus. I think the max sized carp should be lower than ten pounds so as to maintain the mixed fishery ethos and hopefully put off the instant carpers. We have much better waters for carp fishing with just as good access.

I‘m with you regarding an upper limit for carp - I’d go lower, say 5lb - since that would encourage a general ‘fishing for bites” approach rather than a “chase the big carp” one since those who wish to do so will have other more suitable waters at the venue.

Add some crucians and small F1’s into the mix and it still allows the ’intermediate’ anglers a relaxed session but with a bit of stretch if they are going to target the shyer or trickier to catch species with a chance to hone finer presentation skills

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I‘m with you regarding an upper limit for carp - I’d go lower, say 5lb - since that would encourage a general ‘fishing for bites” approach rather than a “chase the big carp” one since those who wish to do so will have other more suitable waters at the venue.

Add some crucians and small F1’s into the mix and it still allows the ’intermediate’ anglers a relaxed session but with a bit of stretch if they are going to target the shyer or trickier to catch species with a chance to hone finer presentation skills
The two lakes have a nice stock of crucians. Basically you can catch anything in them with the exception of dace & pike. So a good day could see you catch roach, rudd, perch, chub, tench, crucians, bream from ounces to 3-4lb and of course carp. Sadly it would seem the stocked barbel didn't survive and I don't think I have ever had a gudgeon either.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
A misty October morning. Just about my favourite place to fish. 10 minutes from home and a McDonald's en route :)

IMG_20191028_081142.jpg

IMG_20191028_081047.jpg