Beginners Pole Questions

MylesD

Hi all I have some questions regarding my pole rigs and set up.
Is there a good all rounder bottom rig set up I can replicate for most of my fishing?

What shotting pattern should I follow for maggots in the winter?

When plumbing up on the deck, do I plumb to the bottom of my bristle? Middle of float body or bottom of the body?

any help is welcomed as I don’t have anyone in person to ask.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Always plumb to the bottom of the body.....best maggot rig for winter is bulk and 2 droppers for 4ft + , lightly strung out for under 4ft .......best deck rig for pellet strung bulk starting 4” from hook ,1” apart

MylesD

Always plumb to the bottom of the body.....best maggot rig for winter is bulk and 2 droppers for 4ft + , lightly strung out for under 4ft .......best deck rig for pellet strung bulk starting 4” from hook ,1” apart
Cheers mate, is there any difference if fishing around 6ft?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Cheers mate, is there any difference if fishing around 6ft?
No mate , if possible in winter upto 6ft with maggots still fish bulk and droppers, as light as you can...If you are fishing pellets, then a nice steady wire float with a strung bulk of no 8,s or 9,s right down the bottom end of the rig, to keep it nice and still 👍And basically these rigs work for summer or winter , rig components such as line strength and hook size will differ though 🤷‍♂️

rudd

Site Supporter
Simple rule:
4 inch hooklength
Dropper above it then another 4 inch above it then last one 4 inch above then bulk/olivette 4 inch above.
5 inch hooklengh use increments of 5 inch, etc etc.
Plumb to top of body.

rudd

Site Supporter
I thought mid to top of body... No wonder we're all confused 😜
Some one must know?
I have always gently lifted and adjusted until Bristle is out and top of body is just visable.

And when using a blob......😬

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I've never understood the logic behind the various rules of thumb for plumbing up. I plumb up with a plummet and then, if using a light bait, put a BB or AA shot on the hook and re-plumb until the length of antenna I need is showing above the surface. That will depend on the conditions of course. Also, it will give me a truer reading than a heavy plummet if the bottom is soft silt.

If I think I may want to fish dead depth I move the float in quarter-of-an-inch stages until the rig tells me the bait is just touching bottom.

That point is marked, either with a shot under the float or on the pole, and I work from that, pushing the float up the line if I want to fish on bottom. It's all pretty simple, and takes only a few minutes. Because I use the same pattern for most of my long pole fishing I get to know how the float reacts.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I've never understood the logic behind the various rules of thumb for plumbing up. I plumb up with a plummet and then, if using a light bait, put a BB or AA shot on the hook and re-plumb until the length of antenna I need is showing above the surface. That will depend on the conditions of course. Also, it will give me a truer reading than a heavy plummet if the bottom is soft silt.

If I think I may want to fish dead depth I move the float in quarter-of-an-inch stages until the rig tells me the bait is just touching bottom.

That point is marked, either with a shot under the float or on the pole, and I work from that, pushing the float up the line if I want to fish on bottom. It's all pretty simple, and takes only a few minutes. Because I use the same pattern for most of my long pole fishing I get to know how the float reacts.
Yes but it’s like as has been said before, the bottom is never snooker table flat , so unless you’re float is sat in exact same position as you’ve plumbed and doesn’t move an inch , you might not be at dead depth , which you assume 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️That’s why I just plumb with a plummet to the base of the body , to allow for fluctuations, line not hanging dead straight, tow etc

tipitinmick

Site Supporter

Sounds like you’ve fished worm and joker at some point in your fishing career ? That’s how I plumb a wire through pole float up is that. 👍

MylesD

You mentioned how the rig tells you the bait is just touching the bottom, how so? Does the rig not drift or something?

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
You mentioned how the rig tells you the bait is just touching the bottom, how so? Does the rig not drift or something?
Yes. If the bait (usually pellet or corn) is laying on, then the rig will hold up or slow up according to the tow. If it is just touching bottom it will behave differently - exactly how is up to me to decide on the day. But to me it's obvious. Then moving the float down a quarter of an inch then either completely sinks the antenna or sinks it slightly down. If it completely sinks, I can still often see it under the surface, or just get a feeling when I get a bite. So I then know that moving it back up a quarter of an inch has it just touching bottom. I should mention that with spectacles I have extremely good eyesight, so probably not everyone would be able to see the tiny movements of the tip.

There's a lot of misunderstanding about my posts regarding fishing 'dead depth.' I don't pretend to be able to do it at will, but if I get a spot in the swim where I can fish dead depth I do keep trying there, lifting the bait perhaps an inch to get a bite. Actually Decoy, where I fish most, has extremely flat bottoms once you get past the margins, and it's not unusual to be able to find a metre or two where the bottom doesn't vary at all. The bottoms are now very silty, and this tends to level out. But you can't do it in a strong wind.

I have another method for fishing dead depth, which I have heard only two other anglers speak about, one of whom was Denis White, but I'm keeping that method to myself, because the majority of anglers wouldn't be bothered to do it properly. ;) I know that because I've tried to explain it to one or two mates, and they have never bothered to do it properly. But it's deadly in certain circumstances.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Yes. If the bait (usually pellet or corn) is laying on, then the rig will hold up or slow up according to the tow. If it is just touching bottom it will behave differently - exactly how is up to me to decide on the day. But to me it's obvious. Then moving the float down a quarter of an inch then either completely sinks the antenna or sinks it slightly down. If it completely sinks, I can still often see it under the surface, or just get a feeling when I get a bite. So I then know that moving it back up a quarter of an inch has it just touching bottom. I should mention that with spectacles I have extremely good eyesight, so probably not everyone would be able to see the tiny movements of the tip.

There's a lot of misunderstanding about my posts regarding fishing 'dead depth.' I don't pretend to be able to do it at will, but if I get a spot in the swim where I can fish dead depth I do keep trying there, lifting the bait perhaps an inch to get a bite. Actually Decoy, where I fish most, has extremely flat bottoms once you get past the margins, and it's not unusual to be able to find a metre or two where the bottom doesn't vary at all. The bottoms are now very silty, and this tends to level out. But you can't do it in a strong wind.

I have another method for fishing dead depth, which I have heard only two other anglers speak about, one of whom was Denis White, but I'm keeping that method to myself, because the majority of anglers wouldn't be bothered to do it properly. ;) I know that because I've tried to explain it to one or two mates, and they have never bothered to do it properly. But it's deadly in certain circumstances.
Its nice if you can find a decent sized flat bottom , i go the plumb to the bottom of body . I will add an inch on at a time until i start getting bites upto 6in depending on hooklength and first shot or take an inch off until i get bites as some fish prefer not to feed in the silt . On a slope at about 5 or 6 meters i fish shirt button style sometimes a foot over depth keeping the float tight and slightly pulled toward me after laying the rig out away from me, this can also be deadly in the margins . If you mark up the depth on your topkit its a reference point ,use it as that ,if you catch brilliant but dont be afraid to go well over depth if not catching ,or indeed up off the bottom 😀

dave brittain 1

Plumb up with a flat bottomed disc type plummet, (these don't sink into the silt too deep), to dead depth so you have approximately 1cm of pole float bristle showing. Mark the depth on your pole with tippex or a similar marking medium. If using maggot or small baits add two inches to the depth and you are ready to fish. With hard pellet or corn leave it at dead depth.

Look for variations in depth, usually deepest at 11-13m where people have fed and fish have scoured the bottom.

Depending on depth, lets say 5ft I'd generally use a 0.4g float and have a bulk of number 8's with 2 or 3 No 10 droppers 6ins apart which gives a nice slow drop through the bottom 1/3rd of the water. Note I always fish with a No 10 or 8 backshot several inches behind the float which helps stabilise the float and prevent the line between the float bristle and pole tip blowing about and pulling the float off line.

Once you start fishing if you find the float is towing add depth an inch at a time to counteract the tow. It's not unusual in windy conditions to have to fish 3-4 ins over depth.

Feeding should be little and often 6-8 maggots every few minutes.

Tips are to vary your feeding cutting back if no bites are coming or increasing if you are catching well. It's basically and on-going experiment throughout the day to keep fish coming. Also vary your presentation, laying in the rig straight out watching the float settle, laying it to the left and the right noting which way seems to induce most bites, (one way is always more productive). Also induce little lifts or twitches to the left or right. Watch some of the Andy May and Jamie Hughes videos on youtube, they are very informative but the best tip I can give is to keep it simple.

MylesD

Thanks for the advise, will give it all a try

robinta

It is a minefield, and I suppose the fact is, if we all plumb up slightly differently, how much difference does it make at the end of a session to the amount of fish caught?

If we assume that a lake bed is never going to be perfectly flat, the best we can do is try and get it right, the majority of the time.

If someone (A) plumbs up to 1cm from the top of their float tip, and someone else (B) to the base (or half the length) of a pole float body, that's probably a difference of between 1.5 to 2.5 inches for each angler.

In one instance an angler might be fishing dead depth whilst the other is 2 inches over, or conversely one angler is dead depth and the other 2 inches OFF bottom 😳

In the end, I don't know how much off a difference it will make overall, and as the lake bed is not uniform I suspect all we can do as anglers is try to get it set to an average, that is 'right' most of the time.

And, we haven't even touched on fishing on a slope! 😜

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
I don't use plummets to plumb the depth with pole rigs on canals and lakes, instead I have a number of AAA and BB split shot with pellet bands round them. Just slip the hook through the band and plumb - no risk of sinking into the silt and they slip on and off with zero damage to the hook length. I use this plumbing process to explore the shape of the bottom of the area I'm going to be fishing, rather than just one spot, to work out what my bait is likely to be doing at any one point, also to be able to adjust the float dependant on where bites are coming from given movement due to the tow.

I then adjust the float accordingly.