Beginners Guide to Pole Rigs.

drcotts

What an excellent post
Thanks nemesis and all the others who added to this post.
I am a new member to this site and am returning to fishing after a break of about 20 yrs.
Pole fishing wasnt as widespread then as it is today and i have never used a pole or even know what to do but have often wondered and so your post is very imformative.
If only the newpapers and mags would put information of this quality in they may sell more copies

well done and have printed this off for reference

Phill

Mermaid

Calamity Lin
Site Supporter
I'm going to print his off and put it on my desk drawer and I'll certainly refer to this when I'm making up my new rigs. well done fellas!

n/a34

deleted
brilliant post guys,one thing that always bugs me is are there different shotting patterns for different baits/rigs.do you button hole your shot for some things and use bulk shot for others?i havent a clue!

Nemesis

AMBER + BLUE
Originally posted by salmonking

brilliant post guys,one thing that always bugs me is are there different shotting patterns for different baits/rigs.do you button hole your shot for some things and use bulk shot for others?i havent a clue!
There are loads of rigs you can use for all methods on the pole.

Basically i use about four :

1. On the deck (Fishing on the Bottom)
2. UITW (Up In The Water)
3. Margin (In the Margin swims up against banks,reeds,stickups etc..)
4. Paste Fishing.

Have a look here at the different rigs :

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/Section/how-to/Coarse-fishing-advice/Fishing-Rigs/Rigs/Pole-rigs/_/N-guZf5Zfa

Depending on the types of water you fish you make your own too suit your style and method of fishing.

There is loads of info on rigs on the 'net just have a look round. [:T]

n/a34

deleted
thanks nemesis,as i say its the shoting patterns that get me,havent a clue!lol.its for rivers im after info on.cheers

Andy Eccles

Thanks to Nemesis and badpegpicker.You both just answered about 20 questions I had swimming round in my head

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Originally posted by Andy Eccles

Thanks to Nemesis and badpegpicker.You both just answered about 20 questions I had swimming round in my head
[:D][:D]

Glad it can help mate[;)]

mikey

Nemesis & Bagpicker this is Great Stuff & though obvious to those experienced matchmen to us novices this is Essential reading. You're right Nemesis shotting is the most confusing thing going! Why do they put the Styl shotting on floats & not the shot size? Really they should put both to save confusion.
Maybe you should combine your talents to write a "Basic Guide to Pole Fishing". I have a copy of "Better Pole Fishing" by Dave Coster & Tony Whieldon featuring Kim Milsom & Keith Arthur which is great but really needs updating.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Mikey,

Im glad our ramblings are still helping those who want a rough guide to the basics.

Unfortunately, pole fishing is such big business these days that writing from one persons point of view would have very little relevance to some. These days there are no hard and fast rights and wrong ways of doing things as everyone develops their own styles.
Saying that, I might give it a go, just for fun [:D]

end-peg

Great article I liked the shoting list for different size floats. I have printed a copy off & laminated it , it will sit in my box "great"

kirky 51

Originally posted by badpegpicker

Nice one Neptune[:T]

Well, after seeing a few posts on here asking how to make a pole rig from scratch, I thought Id put up this post to give a basic understanding and a rough guide to how simple it can be.

We all start somewhere in our sport, and with many newcomers to the site, and the art of Pole Fishing, understandably, there are a few out there that either havent got the first clue how to go about setting up a rig, or just arent quite sure on the ins and outs of it.

Many people I have come across that are new to Pole Fishing, ask about how I tie a hook on, "Is it done any differently?"

No.[:)]

You can use either a standard hooklink, or if you prefer to fish straight through, you can use a very simple way of attaching a hook called the "Hook In The Loop".
Rather than me go through all that on here, take a look at this short video made by MAP's Giles Cochrane:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srxnpogkKg0

I think you ll agree, its extremely simple to tie, and very effective.

So,
To show how easy and simple a pole rig can be, here is my guide to a basic, typical commercial fishery type rig.

I would suggest a mainline of around 5 lb, with a hooklink of 4 lb, and a size 14 or 16 hook. This should cover you for most commercial carp you will encounter, and handle fish up to around 7 lb or more, and with a 14 or 16 hook, you can use most larger baits such as corn, meat and pellets.

Please note, I have used over sized hooks, line and float rubbers for ease of illustration[;)]

Step 1

These are the basic items you will need for each rig you make:

Your chosen float, your chosen mainline, float silicone (make sure these are tight on the float stem, but also loose enough to alow you to pull the line through aswell), or rubbers, hooks, and a winder to store your rig on once completed.

Step 2

Take your line, and spool off around 6ft and trim off.
(6ft of line should cover you for most commercial venues, and you will more than likely end up cutting some line off to adjust for the swim you are in)

Cut three peices of silicone (or 3 suitable sized rubbers)
Then push the line downwards through the float eye, threading on the three rubbers below the float. Then push the rubbers onto the float stem and space them out evenly:

Step 3

Now you have attached the float to the mainline, you need to decide if you are going to be using a hooklink, or wanting to tie a hook direct to the line.

For this guide, Ive used a standard hooklink and attached it via a simple loop to loop (obviously below the float[;)]), as you would with any rod and line set up.

Step 4

Next, you need to create the loop that is needed to attach the completed rig to the pole.
Assuming that you are using a standard connector on your pole, I use a double over hand loop of around 1/2 - 1 inch in length, at the end of the line above the float:

Tighten up and trim off the tag end:

Well, thats pretty much it[:0]

You ve now made a rig, the only thing left to do now is shot the line to suit the float, but if you are unsure of the shot needed for it, dont worry, you can do it on the bank when you use it.

All thats left to do now is put the completed rig onto a winder and stick it in your box until you are ready to use it[^][^]

I like to use what are known as "Slide winders", as these have a sliding hook up on the side of the winder, thus eliminating the need for any rubber winder anchors.

Simply place the hook through the small hole in the winder, and wind the line around the winder, adjusting the float until it sits neatly in the deeper groove of the winder (make sure the body of the float is in the deeper side of the winder, or if the body is sticking out above the winder sides, you could crush it if if anything lays on top of it[;)]), and when you reach the top loop, hook it over the sliding hook up, and pull tight.

Finished!

Once you get to the bank, shot the float, plumb up and adjust the float accordingly to the depth, then if you find you are left with loads of line between float and pole tip, just cut the line at around 8-12" above the float and re tie a double overhand loop, stick on a bit of bait, and you re fishing[:D][:D]

Hopefully thats help a few out and shown them that its NOT difficult to make a pole rig.
Infact, in my experience, simplicity is key.

Shotting:

The shot patterns for pole rigs can vary a lot depending on the float, conditions of the day, depth of water, and also how the fish are feeding a the time.

The way I look at things, again is keeping things quite simple, and as long as you have the float shotted correctly in the first place, then really its just a case of trial and error and seeing which way you position your shot works best on the day.

As a general rule, the way you shot a pole float is not any different to any other float rig. They just tend to be alot lighter, so smaller shot is required.

I also must point out that for 99% of my rigs, I use the Preston Stotz, which are a cylindrical shaped shot, rather than your average rounded shot.
I find these are easier to put on the line, and also to remove and slide up and down the line without damaging your line.

As an example.
Say the swim was 4ft deep.
If my float needed 4X No.8 Stotz, then I would put on 3 No. 8's around halfway down the rig quite close together as the main bulk, and see how the float was sitting. Then to dot the float down to how I wanted it to sit, I would add a number 10 Stotz around halfway between hook and the number 8's. Again, I would test how the float is sitting, and if more shot is required, add another No.10 next to the other No.10.
We all know that pole floats stated shot capacity can be vastly different to reality, just the same as running line floats can.
So you may have to keep adding or taking shot off to get it to sit nicely.

This is normally how I start off, and then its just a case of moving the shot around a little and seeing which way produces the most bites.
After a while, things become second knowledge, and you will soon find a patterns that you become comfortable with.

Distance between Pole tip and Float

Again, this becomes a personal thing, and some anglers prefer to have a longer line between float and tip, where as others will have what seems a very short line.

For a start, and until you get used to holding the pole for long periods at longers lengths, then really, a distance of around 12" should be just about right when starting out on the pole.
As you become more confident with shipping in and out with a pole, you will notice that you wont be bouncing the tip around so much, and then you can start to experiment with different lengths of line, and find how you like to do it[;)]

Things like wind, and flow of the water will mean that you need to experiment with differing lengths of line to suit the day, and I have often ended up with 2ft of line on really windy days, when others seem quite happy with alot less[;)]

Thats the beauty of fishing. There are no hard and fast rules as to how you do things. We each have our own little ways, and thats not a bad thing. We are all continiously learning, and sharing information on how we have been doing things, whether it works or not, is the best way to learn[:T]

Thanks for looking.

Happy rig making[:W]

Steve.

AlanZ

Being new to Pole Fishing and Great Post Nemesis, (God i love this site)..Anyway what i would like to know is that i've bought some Stots and is there a Chart of weight to Shot ratio like when it says 4 x 10 , what is that in Stots? Do you use half stots to fine shot the Float down? i've been told that Stots don't come off and small Shot are prone to pinging off is this correct[:)]

Last edited:

Nemesis

AMBER + BLUE
Originally posted by AlanZ

Being new to Pole Fishing and Great Post Nemesis, (God i love this site)..Anyway what i would like to know is that i've bought some Stots and is there a Chart of weight to Shot ratio like when it says 4 x 10 , what is that in Stots? Do you use half stots to fine shot the Float down? i've been told that Stots don't come off and small Shot are prone to pinging off is this correct[:)]
Stotz are about the same weight as a shot.

So a number 8 shot is about equivalent to a number 8 stotz.

All shot/stotz can ping off the line.As a general rule I would use stotz for a carp rig and shot for a silvers rig.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi4lk_U9YKs[/youtube]

stingrays4

Hi as some one new to all this {well second time round} This is perfect for me and will read many many times as it takes a while to sink [:I]
Thanks and keep up the good work[:T]

DooGie

Site Supporter
A big thanks Nemesis. I've just ordered my first ever pole but was getting a bit worried about rigs and whether to buy ready made ones.
After reading your guide you've cleared my mind and I now realise that it's not too difficult to tie your own.

Cheers [:)]

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
A lot of effort went into into that Nemesis, on other peoples behalfs.

Nice one mate!![:D]

[:T]

redden88

this has really helped me understand pole fishing a hell of a lot more now. cheers

thebaron1974

Brilliant! Very new to fishing and get really confused when looking at ready made rigs! I will use this to make my own!

N orm

Originally posted by Andy Eccles

Seconded

New to the site and pole fishing.
I bought some made up rigs but i think i'll have a go at making my own now.

Well done lads very helpful.