Beginner needing A LOT of advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty_Raddy

Hello everyone,
right i literally decided to take up fishing today!
i have been getitng frustrated easy and have realised that fishing is a great way to unwind. so i spent the day at a local lake where people fish quite regularly.

anyway, i had to dig up my old rod which hasnt been used for 4 years, its a shakespear, strange rod coz when i cast out all i have to do is press a button as i cast. The rod itself is about 5 ft, so firstly.... do i need a new rod or is the one i have acceptable???

Secondly, like i said i havent got a clue about fishing, i was trying to find out abit on the web but some of the terms used in fishing totally confuse me so if u are willing to help me please explain it in the simplest form possible, thats the only way i will understand.

now this lake has been known to contain pike, perch, carp, and i want to learn about the other fish but i am really only starting this fishing hobbie today so i barely know the basics as u can tell.

so anything about baits, rods, techniques, or anyhting else u might think may help me will be great!

so........... any ideas?

scouse

'River Man'
hi scot
first were do you live
in merseyside
and what lake was it
am from Liverpool
if i can help i will[:D]

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

Lid

Dear Scotty Raddy

Have I missed something here, Mr Raddy? If you started fishing today, how come you owned a rod for the last 4 years? Also this lake you went to, have you noticed the size of everyone else's rods?

Come to think of it how do you know how to cast?

Scotty_Raddy

i owned a rod for the last 4 years purely and simply because it was a gift from my uncle in london, but i never thought i would get around to using it so it just went in the loft until this day!

The people fishing in the lake today did have big rods, but they aslo had all this high tech equiptment and i could tell they knew what they were doing, but at the same time there were people with rods like mine.

the casting thing was picked up pretty easy, thats is if im doing it right, because of the rod i am using it has a little button i press with my thumb as i swing out, and it seems to go pretty far.

Dave, i was in colderstones and i was using sweetcorn as bait but never got one bite for the whole 5 hours i was there in the rain.

thats another thing, when is the best time to fish, both time of day and weather conditions, or even season??

thanks for replys aswell, who knows maybe someday with your help i could catch my first fish!!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Scotty and welcome onboard [:)],

Check out the Fish'n'Tips section of the site for starters and I'll get you a list of gear that you'll need as a beginner later this evening

Dave

Lid

Hi Scotty
Welcome to angling then! I thought your post might have been a wind up at first, but it seems not. I reckon you should read a few books on fishing and maybe a video or two as well. You don't have to remember all the stuff in the books, I certainly can't, but it gives you the idea. I busy just now, but I'll try and list a few later.

martin.

Account Locked
hi scotty
if there is normally people fishing on the lake it might just pay you to go & watch to get the idea of what baits & methods are catching what at present .
then decide which method you want to try first let us know & we will be able to give you more specific advice.
by the way
WELCOME to the mad MDs

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

fishing_mad

if your after a new rod it might be worth getting it from i mail order company i recomend bennetts of sheffield there web site is
www.bosfish.co.uk
its good value and also they will give you advice

:)Fishing Mad:)

Scotty_Raddy

thanks people, i am now on my way to be becoming an angler as u would say!

i will deffinatly keep u guys in touch with how im getting on, i am considering going out again today for few hours aswell

thanks again!

Scotty_Raddy

another thing, do u think my rod would be too small or week for catching decent fish?

its only about 5 ft, and it had blank thru construction on it, it doesnt seperate into section but i can shrink it. does this make any sense to you?

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
The rod/reel sounds like one of the US style closed face reels and the rod is very possibly an Ugly Stik.

They work fine. Unusual for the UK but very common in the US.

At 4 years of age, you will need new line. The stuff on there will have so much "memory" that the line will resemble a coil spring. :eek: Just replace it with a good 4 or 6 lb b/s (breaking strength) line and you are good to go.

Great rig for smaller fish and fine for any up to 3-4 pounds and an occasional larger one. Won't cast very far but if you can fish withing 20-30 yards, it will do fine.

My wife has 5 of them. Both for bait and lure fishing. I keep one rigged for lure fishing and use it when I need to toss very light lures.

I mailed 3 of them to UK anglers a year or so ago and from what they told me, all caught fish.

I'd say put new line on and use the rig. If you decide you want to target larger fish or fish at greater distances, look at adding longer rods with maybe fixed spool reels to your collection but hang on to the spin cast gear too.

Newt Vail

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
I would visit your local tackle shop mate if i was you the tackle dealers these days are superb 99% of them anyway and tell them what places your going to fish etc etc and they will be only to glad to help you good luck and welcome....

Happiness is playin wif yer rod

Scotty_Raddy

all of you have helped me greatly, unfortunately it will probably be after christmas now before i can buy any of the equiptment i need. But i will still be greatful for anymore advice you guys have to offer so that when i do go, i wont come home gutted again!

les middy

'Navigator'
Scotty

don't know how old you are but if over 12 years you will need a licence to fish [:)]

les [:D]

Lid

Good point by Les! Make sure you've got yer rod licence and any other permits needed to fish your chosen spot.

As to books, there are books and videos listed and reviewed on this site at http://www.maggotdrowning.com/books__videos.htm

John Wilson's encyclopaedia is probably a good one to try. If you can't afford yer own copy, maybe you could borrow one from some-one at your lake or from a friend. You could also try your local library - even if they haven't got it, they should be able to get it from another library for you, or even buy it.

Mr Crabtree is a great read, but bear in mind it was written over 50 years ago and some of the equipment and terminology is now out of date. The main freshwater sections are in comic strip format.

Hope you find something to get you started.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Scotty,

Starting fishing at this time of the year is always going to be hard as most of the fish tend to shoal up in the deeper water and once the water temperature drops below 5oc they don't feed.
If they do they generally pick from the river or lake bed.

So bearing that in mind, the tackle that you'd be best off starting with would be a leger rod, preferably a quivertip rod (also know as a tip rod), a half decent fixed spool reel, line about 4lb breaking strain which should suit most waters at this time of year, a few small swimfeeders and arlesey bombs and a selection of 'hooks to nylon'.

Hook wise I would stick with sizes 18 and 20 at the moment and preferably barbless. If you buy the 'hooks to nylon' they are already tied to line. Look for around 2lb and 3lb breaking strengths.

You'll need some accessories and they are a couple of rod rest/bank sticks, a selection of split shot and leger stops, a comfy seat or box to sit on and don't forget a disgorger and landing net for when you catch your first fish.
Bait wise, buy a 2pint maggot box and put a pint of maggots in. These will last you a session as you will not need many at the moment.

Armed with that little lot, go down to your local fishery (don't forget the day ticket and a rod licence) and tackle up, set the rests and settle down.
Look around you and see what the others are doing and where they are casting and try similar areas.

More to come, but it will give you a start..

[:)]

Dave

Lid

Scotty

You can buy them from a post office or online at :

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/fish/399730/?version=1

This link also shows the prices. A new full season licence runs out on 31/03/03, so depending how many trips you plan to make this season, it may be cheaper to get day versions, unless you are a junior (12 to 16 year old).

Leighton

Last edited:

snakey

PAA COACH
My advice is to get yourself down to the water and have a chat with the anglers there. Most anglers are a sociable bunch and are usually willing to give advice and tips on what you need.Don`t try to run before you can walk.The likes of Bob Nudd did not become champions overnight. Start with the basics and build on it and don`t give up. If you`re struggling ask,you can always post your problems on this site, no matter how silly you think they may sound someone will always give a serious reply. Books and magazines are a good source of information to get you started.
Hope you have many rod bending sessions and don`t give up.

SNAKEY`S NOT PLAYING GOLF YET

Status
Not open for further replies.