Beginner feeder

Andme

Hi, I've just started fishing again after quite a long break. I'm fishing with my teenage son and looking to build our kit up, without spending a small fortune.

I've started out with a cheap float setup for me reccomended by angling direct, and he's got a 4m whip. Think the rod is advanta x3 and the reel is shimano fx3000. So now I'm looking to get a feeder setup too. That way we should be covered for most our local waters, and take turns using different methods before choosing and buying better kit.

So far were fishing a small local river and a commercial fishery. The commercial has several lakes of various sizes with different sizes of fish up to 30lb carp (but we're sticking to the lake with fish up to 8lb for now). So I'm kinda looking for something that can be used as an all rounder at both places.

I've seen a few different feeders rods and reels but really struggling to decide which one best suits our needs. For the reel I was thinking a shimano baitrunner st or dl, but I read on here that a few have failed. As for rod I was looking at the daiwa n'zon range, but I'm unsure what size. Also I can only find reviews on the n'zon s and z, but the ones I was looking at i don't think are s or z.

Any information or advice on these or recommendations for any others would be great. Looking to spend a max of about £150 including line and a couple feeders if possible.

Thanks Andy

scuttster

Site Supporter
I would take a look at the Shimano Sahara reels in a 3000/4000 sized. (should be able to get them for under £60). Available as both front or rear drag

Rod wise I've not seen the Daiwa n'zon ranges so unfortunately can't comment on those.

However pairing a 12' N'zon with a Sahara will leave you cash to pick up some line and feeders.

Andme

I would take a look at the Shimano Sahara reels in a 3000/4000 sized. (should be able to get them for under £60). Available as both front or rear drag

Rod wise I've not seen the Daiwa n'zon ranges so unfortunately can't comment on those.

However pairing a 12' N'zon with a Sahara will leave you cash to pick up some line and feeders.
Thanks, I did look at the Sahara reels but there's non in stock local to me (maybe need to check some other tackle shops out) also they don't seem to have have a bait runner feature, would this make much difference.

Andy

Gazeddy

Thanks, I did look at the Sahara reels but there's non in stock local to me (maybe need to check some other tackle shops out) also they don't seem to have have a bait runner feature, would this make much difference.

Andy
ive never fished with a bait runner on a feeder and never had a problem

scuttster

Site Supporter

Andy
Basically when you are feeder fishing you are sitting there next to the rod watching the tip so therefore when you get an indication or a wrap around you are ready to grab the rod. With the bait runner it is designed to let out line and thus is more suited to carp rod and bite alarms where you aren't necessarily sitting right by the rod.

If you have a watch of some videos on YouTube they will give you an idea on feeder fishing.

for example:

Last edited:

Andme

Thanks guys, I've seen a few videos and I'm kinda sat on the fence with the bait Runner feature. For instance if I'm helping my son land or unhook a fish it could come in handy. That being said I suppose its just another thing that can go wronge on cheaper kit and there's alot more options without.

Is there anything specific I should look out for or avoid, both with rods and reels?

The 12ft n'zon has 3 models with casting weights of between 60g and 100g. 10lb line rating and 2 tips, one is 2 and 3 oz the others are 1.5 and 2 oz.

There's also the daiwa ninja and n'zon feeder reels would they be a better choice than the shimano?

Andy

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
ive never fished with a bait runner on a feeder and never had a problem
Having had to dive in and save a rod ripped from the rest by an angry carp I would never fish without one. And if you wonder, the rod was a foot from my hand at the time.

I have been using these reels for several years now. Great for beginners, you can upgrade if you like once you are more experienced. A steal at under £15.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Having had to dive in and save a rod ripped from the rest by an angry carp I would never fish without one. And if you wonder, the rod was a foot from my hand at the time.

I have been using these reels for several years now. Great for beginners, you can upgrade if you like once you are more experienced. A steal at under £15.

And a spare spool 😳. How can they make them for that ? That is cheap.

Andme

This was my way if thinking, seen it happen last weekend. To my brother and niece. And that was just a little carp. With me helping my son at the same time it would come in handy.

I'll also check them reels out.
Thanks Andy

tonerain

Site Supporter
There's a Daiwa feeder rod in the "for sale" section at the moment. South Yorkshire too.

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Hi, I've just started fishing again after quite a long break. I'm fishing with my teenage son and looking to build our kit up, without spending a small fortune.

I've started out with a cheap float setup for me reccomended by angling direct, and he's got a 4m whip. Think the rod is advanta x3 and the reel is shimano fx3000. So now I'm looking to get a feeder setup too. That way we should be covered for most our local waters, and take turns using different methods before choosing and buying better kit.

So far were fishing a small local river and a commercial fishery. The commercial has several lakes of various sizes with different sizes of fish up to 30lb carp (but we're sticking to the lake with fish up to 8lb for now). So I'm kinda looking for something that can be used as an all rounder at both places.

I've seen a few different feeders rods and reels but really struggling to decide which one best suits our needs. For the reel I was thinking a shimano baitrunner st or dl, but I read on here that a few have failed. As for rod I was looking at the daiwa n'zon range, but I'm unsure what size. Also I can only find reviews on the n'zon s and z, but the ones I was looking at i don't think are s or z.

Any information or advice on these or recommendations for any others would be great. Looking to spend a max of about £150 including line and a couple feeders if possible.

Thanks Andy
What waters are you going to fish around Rotherham, i might be able to give you some advice.

Andme

What waters are you going to fish around Rotherham, i might be able to give you some advice.
Id love some advice mate. So far we've fished aston park and the river rother at catcliffe (it's about 5 min drive from me). I don't drive myself, the missus usually picks us up and drops us off so I'm trying to find easy accessible places. I have also fished pinchmill about 15 years ago, but if I remember rightly they've got an electric gate that the missus wouldn't be able to get out of untill I sorted a day ticket.

I've tried looking into some canals too bit can't work out who runs what or how to get to fishing spots. So any advice would be great 👍

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Id love some advice mate. So far we've fished aston park and the river rother at catcliffe (it's about 5 min drive from me). I don't drive myself, the missus usually picks us up and drops us off so I'm trying to find easy accessible places. I have also fished pinchmill about 15 years ago, but if I remember rightly they've got an electric gate that the missus wouldn't be able to get out of untill I sorted a day ticket.

I've tried looking into some canals too bit can't work out who runs what or how to get to fishing spots. So any advice would be great 👍
cant help you much on the canal front, think a lot are free fishing, Aston ok, Elmtree farm at kilnhurst is a lovely little fishery for beginers and easy access also Ferryboat farm at old denaby, Wentworth, Ravenfield, and Elsecar are also on the doorstep but only Elsecar do day-tickets, Parkgate Angling centre will give you good advice on tackle etc. if you need anymore info ask and i will do my best to help. Tight lines. M.T

Andme

cant help you much on the canal front, think a lot are free fishing, Aston ok, Elmtree farm at kilnhurst is a lovely little fishery for beginers and easy access also Ferryboat farm at old denaby, Wentworth, Ravenfield, and Elsecar are also on the doorstep but only Elsecar do day-tickets, Parkgate Angling centre will give you good advice on tackle etc. if you need anymore info ask and i will do my best to help. Tight lines. M.T
Thanks mate, I'll look into them all. Think someone else reccomended Elmtree. Thanks!