Beginner boilie question

Iluvlesta

Site Supporter
Do different flavours of boilie work better at different times of the year? Is there a better time to use pop ups (the floating ones?) And normal sinking ones?

Does size of the boilie really matter?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
More experienced boily anglers will probably have a better answer regarding flavours and time of year than I can give.

Regarding pop ups/sinkers I believe that either will work year round. I believe it is not unusual to fish a boily or wafter type bait at half depth in Winter on a zig rig.

Size can and does matter. No reason to suppose that boilies are different to any other bait. We know from experience that there are days the fish will not look at a maggot yet will take a pinkie, a 2 mil expander rather than 4 or 6, 4 mil punch of bread rather than 5.

As always the only arbiter in this question is the fish. If you are not catching on a 12mil boily then try an 8 or 10 and vice versa.

There are no rules and no absolutes with fishing. Fish can be fickle animals and we must not fall into the trap of believing that their logic is the same as ours. If you are not catching then do something different. Change bait, change method, change depth, change feed. Any small change can make a difference.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Size of boilie can matter. Now it's a bit nippy these days, a small 8 or 10mm boilie will do better than a 15 or 16mm. As for pop-up boilies, they're good for catching off the top in the warmer months. At this time of year you can use them on an adjustable zig rig to seek the levels of the water to find what depth they're feeding at. Tiger nut, Chocolate orange and the Source seem to be the favoured ones round here at the moment, although don't rule out the fruity ones just yet. If you ask your local tackle dealer, he or she will know what the fish are taking.

Silver fan 82

Generally fishmeal flavours are better in the warmer months, fruity or spicy seem to work better this time of year. In the colder months generally speaking a smaller 8,10 or 12mm bait may work better because the fish have slowed down and not as hungry. If you are getting pestered by smaller fish then use a bigger bait. Small boilies can still catch big carp though. As for using a pop up or wafter these are usually used if your fishing over a weedy bottom or there is debris (chod) on the lake bed. The pop up sits above the weed so its more visible to the fish. Its also a case of trial and error with regard to flavour and colour as what may work on one water may not work on another.
What sort of waters are you fishing? Size of fish, commercial lake, park lake, estate lake etc?

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
What l will say is when using the smaller boilies use a pin on the hair as it's so much easier to use. I actually use old spade end hooks with the bend cut off. 15734011644637595597706419302852.jpg
And the smallest I make for pop ups on the method. 15734014952098080208581401565082.jpg

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
If using 6 or 8 mm boilies then use a hook about the same size.
The pop up hooklink is 1 inch from bend of the hook to end of loop that's 2cm in new money . The hook is an 18 QM1. I normally use it for white 8mm pop ups. Well sometimes pink, yellow, orange, red or even black. ???
By the way push the pin in to start and finish with the back of your thumbnail.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I fish mainly for tench and crucians so I want the bait to be just above the feeder or just above the weed, be it silk weed which is almost flat or the general rubbish on the bottom, I want my bait to stand out and just up from any freebies. By the way if using an extremely short hooklink it MUST be very free running and do not strike just gently lift into the fish. There is no stretch in such a short link.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
wow what a question, honestly its all down to different lakes reacting bu the old saying is true that you cant take out what you put in and its really some trial and error needed or information on the lake. Generally the colder it gets the less bait i use but i tend to stick to the same flavours as i have confidence in the bait i use.

Fish still have to feed and certain lakes you will have 1-2hrs bite time when you really have no chance of catching for the rest of the day and other lakes where you can still catch all day.

I have never used metal bayonets, a sharp lump of metal exposed inside the fishes mouth just doesnt bear thinking about for me but each to their own, i have no problem using 6mm to 26mm boilies using normal hairs.

if i am casting to showing fish then i will just use a wafter or balanced bait singles and a single cast to where the fish showed, have caught many 40lb+ fish fishing in freezing conditions in October and april as i love a bit of late autumn and spring fishing and april is my fav month as you can get all sorts of weather

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
If you don't want to use a bayonet then use a hair loop pulled through the boily with a small baiting needle like the fine orange handled Drennan.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
One of the Tenchfishers has had a 4lb + tench for 30 months consecutively, so yes it can be done.
As for @gingert76 saying about a sharp bit of metal in a bait , what is a hook ? No mate the whole of the hook shank is entirely within the boilie as in a hair rig. But you don't get micro boilies splitting. If I'm using a 6mm boilie then there is only 4mm of metal and by pushing onto the spade end with your thumbnail then no part of the pin is sticking out and the hook almost sits on the boilie. There is also no way a pin can get caught in a landing net .

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Don't know if you have noticed that I use different colours of tubing on my hooklinks but each colour is a hooksize. White is my colour for 18's

Iluvlesta

Site Supporter
What sort of waters are you fishing? Size of fish, commercial lake, park lake, estate lake etc?
Generally it's commercials but I've been looking at some private club lakes for a regular fishing spot to reduce costs and hone my skills. I've never really used boilies at all so before I buy I wanted to get an idea.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I suggest that the waters you are aiming at then 10 mm will be big enough as you can use then as singles or doubles. As a specimen tench fisher I fish a lot of serious carp waters and have caught many a large mud pig sometimes even more than a carper useing 20mm baits. For fish of 20lb or more then 10mm baits are almost particle feed.

Silver fan 82

I think joining a club is a good idea, as you say saves a bit of dosh and in my experience more enjoyable than commercials especially if like me you like a bit of peace and quiet when fishing.
A good idea would be to ask other anglers what flavours they are finding successful.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I think joining a club is a good idea, as you say saves a bit of dosh and in my experience more enjoyable than commercials especially if like me you like a bit of peace and quiet when fishing.
A good idea would be to ask other anglers what flavours they are finding successful.
And sometimes it's worth picking something totally different, something they have not been caught on and have no fear of.

Iluvlesta

Site Supporter
Thanks everyone, as always loads of great responses.
I'll pop into my local tackle shop and pick some up and give them a go I think. Can they be crushed down and added to ground bait or into feeder mixes?
Anybody have anything they swear by? And is it necessary to pellet feed with the same flavour?