Beginner / Amateur matches? (East Mids)

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
Was thinking about having a dabble in some low stakes beginner matches if such a thing exists.

I used to fish as a kid but had no idea what i was doing, only taking it up again in the last year or so.

Was looking for somewhere i could use maybe method feeder, or pellet waggler (at a push, i'll learn how to fish it!)

I can drive easily to places like Eye Kettleby (Melton Mowbray way) or that place near Retford, Hallcroft?

But i don't really know of any others or even how to go about entering a match lol

Guess i'd need to get some keepnets too, i usually put fish straight back so have never had one.

This will probably be more for next year now that summer is coming to a close.

carpole

Try and find a local club in your area that fish these venues.Goin in and fishing against local anglers fishing open matches at start wil be hard work to start with.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Definitely find a small club mate, places like Hallcroft are packed with 'venue experts' and you will probably end up as pools fodder and learn nothing. If you are serious about taking up match fishing, spend 2 or 3 seasons with a club and walk the banks, observe, ask questions and learn the craft. Then when you start framing on a regular basis and winning a couple of matches then try a bigger club and the odd open. This may seem a long winded approach but the gap between a small club angler and a successful open angler is huge.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Fish an MD match. Or contact someone like Neil Of The Nene and ask to have a day with him to get a taste of the match scene. Certainly go to a local tackle dealer and ask for local clubs which would suit a beginner.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Always happy to oblige. It might cost you a McDonald's breakfast though ;)

Meanwhile have a read of my guide on the subject.

jononcb

Think there is a couple of spare pegs left on the MD match at Jansons in a couple of weeks time?
Ideal venue for lots of bites if you have a pole? As it's a 13m wide snake lake but stuffed full of Silver's and small carp.

jononcb

"Ideal venue for lots of bites"

Easy for you to say. :cry: I still don't know why I have entered as I cannot catch there, just like Tunnel Barn Farm.
It was end of December and in a cold spell last time we fished it though Neil.

It is stuffed with Ide, Chub, Skimmers and Barbel as well as the Carp.

Only my opinion but I think if you fish pellet or Corn then you are missing out on catching the silver's also.
Maggot or Caster or even Worm will get you bites all day from everything in there.
But I do think You will need some margin Carp as well as the Silver's to compete.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I still came second to last!

You are right though about the bait. I have half a pint of frozen maggots, I may bring them.

With apologies to RD115 for hijacking this thread, but I think you will get the picture about the seriousness with which we take our matches. If you can make it then please feel welcome to come along. One word of warning, don't try and take anything off Scribe's breakfast plate. A fork in the back of the hand is difficult to explain in A&E.

And bring earplugs in case you get pegged next to @notneeded. :p

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Always happy to oblige. It might cost you a McDonald's breakfast though ;)

Meanwhile have a read of my guide on the subject.

First time I've read that guide, Neil & I've read most of your tips. Very useful for a new matchman & some great info in there.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
It was end of December and in a cold spell last time we fished it though Neil.

It is stuffed with Ide, Chub, Skimmers and Barbel as well as the Carp.

Only my opinion but I think if you fish pellet or Corn then you are missing out on catching the silver's also.
Maggot or Caster or even Worm will get you bites all day from everything in there.
But I do think You will need some margin Carp as well as the Silver's to compete.

Well Thanks a lot @jononcb you had to go and tell @Neil ofthe nene didn't you, couldn't keep it a secret could you ! :(:( How the hell am I supposed to get rid of the wooden ornament - 'The Spoon of Doom' now ? Go on you tell me that. I don't know I used to like you as well. :D:D:D:D

jononcb

Well Thanks a lot @jononcb you had to go and tell @Neil ofthe nene didn't you, couldn't keep it a secret could you ! :(:( How the hell am I supposed to get rid of the wooden ornament - 'The Spoon of Doom' now ? Go on you tell me that. I don't know I used to like you as well. :D:D:D:D
Happy to help and try and get everybody catching plenty of fish here this time! ?

Mr Barry S

Was thinking about having a dabble in some low stakes beginner matches if such a thing exists.

I used to fish as a kid but had no idea what i was doing, only taking it up again in the last year or so.

Was looking for somewhere i could use maybe method feeder, or pellet waggler (at a push, i'll learn how to fish it!)

I can drive easily to places like Eye Kettleby (Melton Mowbray way) or that place near Retford, Hallcroft?

But i don't really know of any others or even how to go about entering a match lol

Guess i'd need to get some keepnets too, i usually put fish straight back so have never had one.

This will probably be more for next year now that summer is coming to a close.