Beer from Co-Op

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have the choice between an off license in my village and the Co-Op. The off license isn't bad per se but tends to sell the same bottled Asian beer.

So I went in the Co-Op instead. Not a bad selection in there. I got 4 small cans for £7 to treat myself after a long day at work. I particularly like the Brewgooder Tropical Pale Ale but they're all quite nice. Not bad for a small supermarket? What do they sell in yours?

2022-01-31 19.31.43.jpg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I live in a village just outside of a fairly big town so have loads of little co-ops and Tescos all fairly equidistant from me and they all seem to have all the usual stuff really so never an issue getting something nice to drink.

No, no, no, no, no - didn't anyone ever tell you, you can't put proper beer in tin cans, it has to be bottles
Comes out a bit too lively from a can doesn’t it. I sometimes get the 4 packs of tribute, old golden hen, hobgoblin gold and ghostship but they aren’t as good as they are from the bottles.

Last edited:

The Runner

Site Supporter
No, no, no, no, no - didn't anyone ever tell you, you can't put proper beer in tin cans, it has to be bottles
+1.
Which begs the question why Greene Kings beers all taste like they’ve come out of a can even when they’re on draught.
Anyway, my local Co-op has, as well as the usual cans and bottled lagers, a choice of…
Various Isle of Skye beers, mostly Black , Gold , Red and Craft Lager
Broughton Old Jock
Broughton Hopopotamus
Innis & Gunn IPA
MacEwans Champion
Harviestoun Bitter and Twisted
Harviestoun Old Engine Oil
Inveralmond EPA
and , far from home, St Austell Tribute

Probably missed a few, usually stick to the Skye Black or Gold

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
+1.
Which begs the question why Greene Kings beers all taste like they’ve come out of a can even when they’re on draught.
Hard pressed to find a good greene king beer full stop tbh, had one called yardbird that was alright the other day but alright is about as good as their beers get.

The Runner

Site Supporter
Agreed, their beers were pretty good 30 years ago, no idea what’s happened to them but all seem to me to have that tinny taste now.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
On the subject of beers I’ve just been presented with two hooky golds and two tributes, anyone would think it was my birthday tomorrow 🤔😉

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've drank mine. :beer-toast1: Nice but not 100% keen on the 'hoppy' craft IPAs for everyday drinking.

Got The French Connection 2 lined up to watch tonight though.

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
I had a rather nice IPA at hickorys smokehouse, don't think you can get it anywhere else though, was their own brand, worth going for the food though :love:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I had a rather nice IPA at hickorys smokehouse, don't think you can get it anywhere else though, was their own brand, worth going for the food though :love:
There's a Hickory's just down the road from me in Wall Heath. When I went I had Brooklyn Lager and thought this is a nice burger beer.

£7 for 4 small cans 😳.
I'm sure they rip us off because it's the only shop for miles around, but I see the pensioners queueing up in the morning with a basket of groceries and think, poor pensioners? My parents go to Aldi and Lidl. 😁

solwood

Site Supporter
Craft beer is expensive £7 a can is not uncommon, they are often much stronger though

Can v Bottle

Was a bottle fan but now just as happy with cans

Generally British ales bottle

Us style ipa craft can