Been a While and Whip Advice

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Morning All

Hope everybody is well, not been on for a while with settling into my new life in North Devon, few challenges i must say over the last few weeks. One of my dogs died after 2 weeks in the house, we saved a puppy before we left so that has taken a lot of our time. Wife had a wobble and was not to happy because the weather was bad. And i think i have torn my cartilage during the move, happy Days!

Now that I have settled into my new life in North Devon wanted to ask the members with Whips there thoughts. With my knee issue i can't travel too far, good news though, next to my new house the farmer next door has a small pound full of Roach and Perch. He also thinks there might be a few other species. He was saying his friend fishes it with a whip and catches all day on the maggot. And it is only a 100 metre walk down the lane.
I have permission to fish it now so looking for 6-8m whip, will also do for Tamar and Bude canal when my knee sorts itself out.

Budget £300.

First choice is the Drennan Acolyte

And advice would be greatly appreciated.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
the Acolyte whip is very good, as is the daiwa tourney pro-air-airity (same whip different paint job) you get three kits with the daiwa

the daiwa speed whips are also very good, but are tele and you would need to buy a couple, Sensas also do a nice speed whip set of four, though they are short whips

nejohn

Site Supporter
If price is not an issue then I can confidently recommend the Tri-Cast (Trilogy or Excellence) they really are a good piece of kit, light, stiff and very strong, I have the older version of the Trilogy and it is very good but the newer version feels better still and with the extensions can be comfortably fished at 10.5 metres. I works well both fishing to hand with the flick tip or with the top 2 elasticated. Not cheap but very good. However I have also just bought the Daiwa connisouer which although not as good as the Tri-cast is still a decent bit of kit it is relatively light, well balanced, stiff and feels quite strong. I got it from Bristol angling centre for £165 which is a very good price for what it is, it comes with both a flick tip and a hollow top 3

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I have an 8m Acolyte and a Daiwa Airity and although some of the sections interchange they are not the same pole but very similar
I have a mixture of flick tips and elasticated tips so I would use the pole that had the tips to suit the job if only setting one up as they are that close in performance.
The Acolyte feels stronger to me but the Daiwa is slightly better balanced and I often have both set up in Ireland or on the rivers over here.

Last edited:

The Hitman

Site Supporter
I have an 8m Acolyte and a Daiwa Airity and although some of the sections interchange they are not the same pole but very similar
I have a mixture of flick tips and elasticated tips so I would use the pole that had the tips to suit the job if only setting one up as they are that close in performance.
The Acolyte feels stronger to me but the Daiwa is slightly better balanced and I often have both set up in Ireland or on the rivers over here.
Acolyte sounds like it will be the one for me. I have Acolyte products and had no issues. Lot more natural fishing down here so might need to change a few bits of kit, Whip was always part of that plan. The little pond down the lane will only need the flick tip. I have Melbury Res very close also that is full of Silvers.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Keep a firm grip and watch out for any obstructions on the back swing. Ensure that your receiver is well secured to the frame.Try to aim slightly to the left and right of each striking point as you..........
Oh, it's not that sort of whip. Sorry.

petel

Site Supporter
If price is not an issue then I can confidently recommend the Tri-Cast (Trilogy or Excellence) they really are a good piece of kit, light, stiff and very strong, I have the older version of the Trilogy and it is very good but the newer version feels better still and with the extensions can be comfortably fished at 10.5 metres. I works well both fishing to hand with the flick tip or with the top 2 elasticated. Not cheap but very good. However I have also just bought the Daiwa connisouer which although not as good as the Tri-cast is still a decent bit of kit it is relatively light, well balanced, stiff and feels quite strong. I got it from Bristol angling centre for £165 which is a very good price for what it is, it comes with both a flick tip and a hollow top 3
Just to second these comments about the Tricast, it’s a brilliant piece of kit. I have the Excellence and wondered how you got yours to 10.5 metres as mine with the extension is 9. Is that only possible with the previous version perhaps..

nejohn

Site Supporter
Just to second these comments about the Tricast, it’s a brilliant piece of kit. I have the Excellence and wondered how you got yours to 10.5 metres as mine with the extension is 9. Is that only possible with the previous version perhaps..
Just thought it is not my trilogy whip that goes to 10.5 m it is my trilogy margin pole you are absolutely right the extension on my whip takes it to 9 metres.......it is a while since we have been allowed out to fish in deepest wales so please excuse my confusion .....or it may be just an age thing

baggy

Mark Saunders
Morning All

Hope everybody is well, not been on for a while with settling into my new life in North Devon, few challenges i must say over the last few weeks. One of my dogs died after 2 weeks in the house, we saved a puppy before we left so that has taken a lot of our time. Wife had a wobble and was not to happy because the weather was bad. And i think i have torn my cartilage during the move, happy Days!

Now that I have settled into my new life in North Devon wanted to ask the members with Whips there thoughts. With my knee issue i can't travel too far, good news though, next to my new house the farmer next door has a small pound full of Roach and Perch. He also thinks there might be a few other species. He was saying his friend fishes it with a whip and catches all day on the maggot. And it is only a 100 metre walk down the lane.
I have permission to fish it now so looking for 6-8m whip, will also do for Tamar and Bude canal when my knee sorts itself out.

Budget £300.

First choice is the Drennan Acolyte

And advice would be greatly appreciated.
For Tamar 6-8m is too long, the longest I would go is 5m and most of the time 3m is far enough. Personally I would get several short whips instead of one longer one and I think the Bude canal is more of a short line venue

JayBee

Site Supporter
I would tend to agree with baggy..... For still water fishing on your suggested venues, rather than go for an expensives 8m. take apart whip, go for a variety.
Something like 3m. and 4m. all telescopic whips, then a 6m take apart which you can fish at 5m. or longer (5m.to hand + 6m. extension surprisingly useful).
With a whip armoury similar to the above mentioned you can chase fish in and out , and up and down in the water, especially as the water warms up.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I have an acolyte on order from Bobco, I ordered at beginning of January but it has not arrived yet. Not bobco's fault I hasten to add, there is a problem with customs costs that they are trying to sort for me.

The Hitman

Site Supporter
For Tamar 6-8m is too long, the longest I would go is 5m and most of the time 3m is far enough. Personally I would get several short whips instead of one longer one and I think the Bude canal is more of a short line venue
Thanks for the reply, interesting to read about Tamar and Bude, being new to the area it might take a while to understand the venues, before i purchase anything was going to have a chat with the guys at Summerland's and the tackle shop in Bude to get there thoughts. %m is perfect for the pond down the road also.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Thanks for the reply, interesting to read about Tamar and Bude, being new to the area it might take a while to understand the venues, before i purchase anything was going to have a chat with the guys at Summerland's and the tackle shop in Bude to get there thoughts. %m is perfect for the pond down the road also.
Is that the tackle shop at the side of the canal ?
I was in there last september when I was down at Holsworthy. Going again in April.
Looked at Lower Tamar , but had to stay in the car due to heavy rain. Was going to buy long whip for there, but reading the posts on here ,I will stick with the shorter ones I have.

The Hitman

Site Supporter
I was in there last september when I was down at Holsworthy. Going again in April.
Looked at Lower Tamar , but had to stay in the car due to heavy rain. Was going to buy long whip for there, but reading the posts on here ,I will stick with the shorter ones I have.
That's the one by the Canal, went in there a few times to have a look, not been in since i moved down here. Guy was vey helpful. 25 minutes from where i now live so not to far, 6 miles from Holsworthy my house. Once my knee is sorted hope to have a look at both Lower and Upper Tamar.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I bought a few things when I called in,
Heard a few guys talking with staff who seemed very knowledgeable. The canal looks good for fishing, never got round to it, Stayed at Wooda Lakes in Holsworthy, that had 4 decent waters to fish, 3 of which are day ticket for non residents.

The Hitman

Site Supporter
I bought a few things when I called in,
Heard a few guys talking with staff who seemed very knowledgeable. The canal looks good for fishing, never got round to it, Stayed at Wooda Lakes in Holsworthy, that had 4 decent waters to fish, 3 of which are day ticket for non residents.
If my knee was better my first match would have been at Wooda lakes. The canal is somewhere i want to fish myself.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
theres the quandry with whips

My tourney pros go to 10 metres yet I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times I have actually used the 9 and 10 metre sections, and they have mostly been on the river

its hard work on the wrist and forearm using them at that length

my typical set up is two of 4 sections, with two different attacks on that line, a through the water and an up in the water

then I set up two of 5 sections with the same as the above

and then one six section to fish through deep

that will pretty near cover all I want or need to do during the day, either chasing the fish out or fishing entirely different lines-attacks

dont get to over concerned by length, its better to get say a 6mtr whip and a few spare sections to give yourself far more options

remember if your long line fishing its not just the length of the carbon, you also have almost doubled that with the amount of line in use and dependant on depth fished

Last edited:

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
theres the quandry with whips

My tourney pros go to 10 metres yet I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times I have actually used the 9 and 10 metre sections, and they have mostly been on the river

its hard work on the wrist and forearm using them at that length

my typical set up is two of 4 sections, with two different attacks on that line, a through the water and an up in the water

then I set up two of 5 sections with the same as the above

and then one six section to fish through deep

that will pretty near cover all I want or need to do during the day, either chasing the fish out or fishing entirely different lines-attacks

dont get to over concerned by length, its better to get say a 6mtr whip and a few spare sections to give yourself far more options

remember if your long line fishing its not just the length of the carbon, you also have almost doubled that with the amount of line in use and dependant on depth fished
What sort of floats do you use for this style Mick?