BBC Radio 1

rudd

Site Supporter
Who gets offended by music lyrics?
There is a word in whole song that is considered derogatory in English language in the song - slut.
The term faggot is also used, a meat product in UK but has a different Americanism meaning which those in the LGBT community find offensive.

GeoffW

Site Supporter
Radio 2 will carry on playing it. Apparently because R2 is an adult channel....🤣

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Relax made number 1 because the BBC banned it in the 80s.
I suppose I am wasting my time requesting So What by the Anti nowhere league then.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Radio 1 ban - snowflake audience

Radio 2 play - old fogey audience

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
BBC radio 2 plays a lot from a 'set playlist' so you get different DJs playing the same tunes but I still prefer it to radio 1 where for a while every tune had the same beat. Lots of Jamaican music is full of homophobic lyrics if that's what the problem is.

CluelessFishing

Site Supporter
It seems it's not only the BBC who want t rewrite history and wipe some things away . I was listening to the GOLD station yesterday and they played elvis costello's Olivers Army cutting one verse short which has the lyrics

There was a Checkpoint Charlie
He didn't crack a smile
But it's no laughing party
When you've been on the murder mile
Only takes one itchy trigger
One more widow, one less white ******

The last two lines of that verse it seems were never written. EDIT it seems even maggotdrowners don't allow those lyrics to be reproduced anymore it was automatically starred out so I can only assume that if even on a fishing forum the lyrics can't these days be reproduced it is the right thing to do to cut the verse when it is played and pretend they were never in the song. or maybe its ok as long as you write it as "nigga" as in the previous lyrics mentioned and ok to have your song played whatever it's content and level of offensiveness as long as you are black . Strange world we live in.

spudnudd

The problem of today is that songs do not have the freedom of expression like they once had most sound the same the lyrics are lovey dove sh-te and the ones that censor certain words live in their own squeaky weaky bubble. I watched a good documentary on Bob Dillon last night on when he got started and who influenced him and some of the artists of that generation how different to today with all the commercial sh-oite thats being turned out but thats the way powers at be want it over here now you have to think,write and sing to their tune.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
don't listen to BBC stations much these days... radio 4 for some of the comedy shows.... but music wise... Planet Rock, Absolute Classic Rock, Prog FM and Classic FM & Scala Radio... if I'm travelling in the car, I usually have an audiobook on the go at the mo it's "Dune" by Frank Herbert

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
don't listen to BBC stations much these days... radio 4 for some of the comedy shows.... but music wise... Planet Rock, Absolute Classic Rock, Prog FM and Classic FM & Scala Radio... if I'm travelling in the car, I usually have an audiobook on the go at the mo it's "Dune" by Frank Herbert

Is Dune any good? My Brother bought me the book for my Birthday and I haven't got round to reading it yet as it looks quite long for me.

Arry

Site Supporter
Is Dune any good? My Brother bought me the book for my Birthday and I haven't got round to reading it yet as it looks quite long for me.
Oh it's an epic... I struggled reading the book until someone gave me a copy of the unabridged audio book (20 cd's) but it's a serious sci-fi story and I'm sooooo looking forward to the film next year (part 1 of 2) there are a lot of sequels, but the main and first book is the best by a long way (so I'm told)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Oh it's an epic... I struggled reading the book until someone gave me a copy of the unabridged audio book (20 cd's) but it's a serious sci-fi story and I'm sooooo looking forward to the film next year (part 1 of 2) there are a lot of sequels, but the main and first book is the best by a long way (so I'm told)

I will have to get round to reading it eventually. I think the first film could have been great as Lynch is one of my favourite directors but even with Kyle MacLachlan it's a dud.

Arry

Site Supporter
The story is awesome... rooted in sci-fi, and religion, revolving round House Atreides and and House Harkonnen and based on the Planet Arrakis... if you only ever read one sci-fi novel... read this one