BBC, Last Night Of The Proms Butchery (prepare to be angry)

lp1886

Site Supporter
I remember a time, not too long ago, when there was a movement to try and get 'Land of Hope and Glory' instated as our National Anthem, in place of our present one. There was a decline in popularity for the Royal family at the time. I wonder if they would still want it banned had it happened?

A quote from the link,
She recently emailed BBC Proms chiefs urging them to drop Rule Britannia. “The lyrics are just so offensive, talking about the ‘haughty tyrants’ – people that we are invading on their land and calling them haughty tyrants – and Britons shall never be slaves, which implies that it’s OK for others to be slaves but not us,” Nwanoku told the Guardian. “It’s so irrelevant to today’s society. It’s been irrelevant for generations, and we seem to keep perpetuating it.”

If they see that as excluding non Britons, then using the same logic, it follows that 'Black lives Matter' must exclude white lives.

John
What are the odds that little Nwanoku’s parents aren’t British?

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
What next? Ban the National Anthem because it celebrates our Queen whose great great great great grandad probably had a black servant . What is it about BLM campaign, yes there were slaves in our country hundreds of years ago. But what is the difference between a black persons ancestry and mine ? My forebears were no doubt serfs and peasants beholdento the local landowner for their position in life. I don't go about wanting to pull down stately homes and plough up estate land. The past is the past, learn from it and improve our society today. Ripping down statues and changing names achieves nothing except anger and bewilderment.
I wonder if BLM campaign has been hi jacked by people with their own agenda and reasons for stirrring up trouble.

Your last paragraph. The BLM movement in this country was a Marxist led front from the off. And it continues to be, they will use any unrest to ferment their own.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
They will play the tunes at the Proms, but just orchestral versions with no lyrics.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
My wife was for many years a member of the BBC symphony chorus and I have attended large numbers of proms concerts; first nights, last nights and other general proms.

The spectacle of the last night is always incredible but the last section of Pomp & Circumstance No.1, Fantasia on British Sea Songs, Rule Britannia, Jerusalem and God Save the Queen is visceral. To stand in the arena and feel the passion for the music, to be in the venue side by side with over 5000 like minded music lovers hanging on every note is indescribable.

The lyrics to “Land of hope and glory” or “Rule Britannia” are a celebration of how Great Britain once was and a reminder of what it sadly no longer is. To lose them from the programme of music because of some idiotic perceived slight towards a section of modern society would be a travesty.

We must stop trying to erase history and apologising for history and instead embrace what we have learned, acknowledge there were both good and bad parts to it and move on positively.

Karl

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
The BBC news on radio four only said they would have to play instrumental versions because choirs are not allowed due to covid. They will apparently sing them again next year.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
The BBC news on radio four only said they would have to play instrumental versions because choirs are not allowed due to covid. They will apparently sing them again next year.

But professional choirs can sing - government updated its rules in July & on the12th August added amateur choirs and church choirs although they have slightly different guidelines.

Blanks

Site Supporter
Radio 4 is virtually unlistenable these days, it has become a platform for attacking british history, culture and values.
There is an agenda of which the media and even govts including the EU seem to be, no are, part of, that is activly destroying western, by that I mean european and north american nations and culture.
Who is leading this attack is not completely clear but it has been going on for some time now. It is clear there are NGO's and lobbyists, non elected groups that are increasingly able to influence govt decision making against the wishes of the majority, which has made democracy an illusion.
Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that this is a passing phase or fad that will return to normal with the election of a new leader or govt, this is an agenda of powerful groups that will not stop until they realise their plan.
I know what I am saying sounds rather alarmist but we all need to look at history and current world politics with an open mind and make our own decisions as to what we believe is really happening in this world.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Radio 4 is virtually unlistenable these days, it has become a platform for attacking british history, culture and values.
There is an agenda of which the media and even govts including the EU seem to be, no are, part of, that is activly destroying western, by that I mean european and north american nations and culture.
Who is leading this attack is not completely clear but it has been going on for some time now. It is clear there are NGO's and lobbyists, non elected groups that are increasingly able to influence govt decision making against the wishes of the majority, which has made democracy an illusion.
Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that this is a passing phase or fad that will return to normal with the election of a new leader or govt, this is an agenda of powerful groups that will not stop until they realise their plan.
I know what I am saying sounds rather alarmist but we all need to look at history and current world politics with an open mind and make our own decisions as to what we believe is really happening in this world.

And the ones who stick up for em calling those that can see whats going on Racist will be tossed on the fire with the Rest on us.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
What next? Ban the National Anthem because it celebrates our Queen whose great great great great grandad probably had a black servant . What is it about BLM campaign, yes there were slaves in our country hundreds of years ago. But what is the difference between a black persons ancestry and mine ? My forebears were no doubt serfs and peasants beholdento the local landowner for their position in life. I don't go about wanting to pull down stately homes and plough up estate land. The past is the past, learn from it and improve our society today. Ripping down statues and changing names achieves nothing except anger and bewilderment.
I wonder if BLM campaign has been hi jacked by people with their own agenda and reasons for stirrring up trouble.
They have a lot of momentum going and they are going to all they can to keep it going, however ridiculous their proposals are. Somewhere, sometime the authorities have to say enough and stamp it out. The trouble is they have infiltrated the authorities, and some are even in power themselves.

Ivan heaphurst

Just been reading that the BBC has dropped Rule Britannia and a non sung version of Land of Hope and Glory will be played and conducted by a Finnish conductor. I wonder if there will be any music written by a British composer played. I mean we don't want to upset any minority's playing jingoistic British music now do we ?