BBC: - Hampshire angler Marina Gibson highlights prejudice in fishing..........

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
Standing knee deep in the river, casting her chosen fly as the clear water rolls calmly by, is an angling influencer.
Marina Gibson, a fly fishing guide who works on the River Test in Hampshire
uses social media to encourage more women and young people to enjoy the physical and mental health benefits of the sport.
Recently, that work has also involved raising awareness of the prejudice that is sometimes faced from other anglers on the river bank.
Video journalist: Adam Paylor

Zerkalo

Good on her, even if I think the BBC sometimes pushes women in sport a bit too much, good to see anyone enjoying fishing.

Ivan heaphurst

Take the compliments on your appearance with joy for you are a good looking girl. I think that he problems of what to do for a call of nature must put some girls off fishing in the wilds, it did with my wife. Meanwhile enjoy your fishing, the more people casting a line male or female is most welcome.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Personally I have not witnessed any form of prejudice when fishing. I have fished with various nationalities, races and both sexes and cannot recall anything but positives.

Angling is as inclusive a sport as you can get. Open to anyone and for the able bodied, male and female, there are few limitations, if any, imposed by physical attributes. And you are able to compete against the best in the country (who all turn out to be approachable and friendly).

Most clubs and fisheries cater for anyone less able. Yesterday I helped build extra large platforms that will be installed on four river pegs so that any angler needing assistance can have a helper sitting alongside. They will also be wheelchair accessible from the adjacent track.

I am proud to partake in a sport where inclusion is only limited by a person's own desire to fish.

Blanks

Site Supporter
Much ado about nothing, if you ask me. Discrimination where? Seems some can't wait to find an issue.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Recently, that work has also involved raising awareness of the prejudice that is sometimes faced from other anglers on the river bank.

That prejudice must be relating to the fluff chucking fraternity as I've yet to see or hear of any within coarse angling.
The only exception I would say is the disdain shown to EE anglers as they tend to be tarred with the "they're going to eat our fish" brush whereas in reality it only applies to a minority.

solwood

Site Supporter
I had an interesting conversation at anglers paradise. I have a couple of female friends who fish and have caught carp ands catfish bigger than I have. Therefore I treat all anglers equally

A couple came up to ne whilst fishing the tench lake having just arrived st the venue. I have been going there 25 years so know the lakes well.

They approached without skylining and asked me about the lake. It was clear from the questions that both fished and the wife especially wanted to catch a golden tench

I answered the questions, explained why I was fishing where I was and how I was fishing I was addressing both of them. She commented how nice it was that I talked fishing to both and not just to her husband

I guess it depends on who you fish with.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I remember reading once about Sandra Halken-Hunt once fishing on a match where she was neck and neck weight wise with husband Alan, when she had to answer a call of nature. This obviously took some time, (searching for cover etc:) and Alan weighed about 500 grams more (I think). That for me is the only disadvantage that I can see being a women in a Match fishing enviroment.