Bayonet or Band

markyboy

When hair rigging wafters/washters which do you find best, a bait bayonet or a bait band? I have always used a bait band but have seen a few vids recently where bayonets are used. Have tied up some identical hooklengths with bands and bayonets to experiment at the weekend, just wondering about others experiences.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Some of the wafters I've used can float even with the weight of a hook so the bayonet might add that extra bit of weight to make it work as it should

sampower

I use both, alternating depending on the stamp of the fish and/or size of the hookbait. I love using 8ml hard pellet in summer but i find if the stamp is smaller, it can lead to poor hooking if the pellet doesn't come off easily. I like to use a band that just hold the bait too so it easily deposits if under pressure. Boyonette presentation is definitely better though, for a Wafter!

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I don't use either. I use a plain hair loop and pull it through the Wafter with a fine baiting needle. The Wafter grips the loop knot sufficiently well and of course the Wafter can never snag in the landing net unlike a bait in a band. The loop knot also having no weight does not affect the action of the Wafter.

Grimberian

I don't use either. I use a plain hair loop and pull it through the Wafter with a fine baiting needle. The Wafter grips the loop knot sufficiently well and of course the Wafter can never snag in the landing net unlike a bait in a band. The loop knot also having no weight does not affect the action of the Wafter.

Hmm...that might be worth trying - I bought some 8mm Sonubaits wafters the other day, along with size 12 and size 14 bait band rigs.
When I got home and tried the different hook sizes with the wafters in a tupperware with water, the 12s pinned them to the deck, the 14s floated to the surface.
Would hair rig / bayonet be any better? Or will size 14 with a tiny shot under the wafter be worth a try?

sampower

Hmm...that might be worth trying - I bought some 8mm Sonubaits wafters the other day, along with size 12 and size 14 bait band rigs.
When I got home and tried the different hook sizes with the wafters in a tupperware with water, the 12s pinned them to the deck, the 14s floated to the surface.
Would hair rig / bayonet be any better? Or will size 14 with a tiny shot under the wafter be worth a try?

Yes use a small shot on the hair. Sometimes it’s worth putting a No.10 above the hook instead if it’s a fine wire hook.. depends on the day and how they’re feeding but popped up a little higher can make the world of difference

timber

built for comfort
I thought wafters were meant to float, I,e, be suspended off the bottom and waft about, hence the name. or am I wrong ?

sampower

I thought wafters were meant to float, I,e, be suspended off the bottom and waft about, hence the name. or am I wrong ?

Wafters are counter balanced by the weight of hook.. the aim is for it to be weightless

Pop ups float completely (will suspend the whole hook length)

fredradac

Site Supporter
Personally I find bayonets a complete waste of time. Every time I tried to push one into a pellet the stupid thing just bent. Definitely bands for me.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I use bayonets ( cut down used eyed hooks) for any boily type bait, but use bands or noose on pellets. I never use pellets with a stupid hole down the middle as hook baits.

dubdog

Bayonet by far the quickest way. Why? Mess about drilling holes and banding wafters. When bagging in a match you don't want to be wasting time faffing about.

timber

built for comfort
I hold the bayonet with tiny long nosed pliers they never bend doing it this way

sampower

Drilled pellets are great for shallow fishing, slapping etc. With a drilled pellet on a tight line, it falls through the water the same way a loose pellet would. If you band the pellet it forces it to fall through the water blunt end first on a tight line, so may cause the hook bait to fall noticeably different through the water.
Maybe only noticeable to the wiser fish, but it’s the small changes which make the biggest differences isn’t it.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Wafters are counter balanced by the weight of hook.. the aim is for it to be weightless

Pop ups float completely (will suspend the whole hook length)
A tad debaitable sam. Im not disagreeing with you but, a freshly bought Ringers tub of wafters ( my ones ) were doing just that. Tried my mates ( exactly the same orange chocolate ) and they were more boyant than the cork on his rod handle. I can only assume they dry out over time ?

sampower

A tad debaitable sam. Im not disagreeing with you but, a freshly bought Ringers tub of wafters ( my ones ) were doing just that. Tried my mates ( exactly the same orange chocolate ) and they were more boyant than the cork on his rod handle. I can only assume they dry out over time ?

Yeah mate they become more buoyant as they air out more and the liquid’s within them evaporate. Obviously some are duds too, but the general census with them is the waft or float, respectively ?