Battery or charger?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I have a DeWalt cordless drill/driver that I bought 8 years or so ago. All was fine until now. When I put the batteries on charge the light flashes indicating charging but stops after 15-20mins and there is very little charge in the battery. Both batteries (the same age) are the same. How can I check if it is the charger or the batteries that is at fault. I tend to think it is the charger as it happens with both batteries. However, as both batteries are the same age it could be that they have 'worn out' together.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Is it Lion batteries, if not then I would think it is the battery. They only have so many charges in them and need to be fully flat before you charge them up again , otherwise they only take so much charge. 8 years is not bad for a battery, but perhaps a gentle tap with a hammer and squirt of WD 40 may help.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Are they Nicad, Nimh, or lithium.
If they're the first 2 they may be dead because of age/left uncharged. Lithium doesn't like being left uncharged but survives a bit longer.
I had a lithium power brick that only would accept about half charge as it was left flat for a few years.

satinet

Site Supporter
Lithium batteries won't charge if the voltage gets too low. This I believe is a safety cut off. Although you can actually get them going again with a charge for a lead acid battery or similar if you know what you're doing.

It would be good to use a multi meter to check the voltage on the cells.

After 8 years I would suspect the batteries.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Buy a new battery, if same you know its the charger and you now have 3 good batteries to put the replacement charger through its paces 👍